Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Aaannnd... relax.

Oh look, a cute fluffy kitten!

1350-30PCFLOORPUZZLE-KITTEN.JPG

Perhaps BS will write us a nice poem about it?

Jim Henson didn't die of AIDS; he died of an organ failure in 1990.

I know this because I was 7 or 8 years old when Jim Henson died and his death made shockwaves across America.

God you are a colossal prick.

So you were 8, so you know more than anyone else in the world. Prick.

Er... my Gran died at 3. So I beat you by 5 years you little twat f****r of losing someone I loved. And it was someone I genuially loved, not a beardy twat with a puppet's arse on his hand. Prick.

I hope you have found a job so we don't have to put up with this sh*t posting anymore. Prick.

and are you presuming that we are all the same age as you & that no-one else famous would have died in our lives bar Henson?

Most of the UK didn't even care.

God you are a prick. A colossal one. Why don't you die & cause shockwaves across your prick

<_<

First of, I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

Second, I should have said "many" instead of "most" 7 or 8 year olds. I probably blew things out of proportion.

Third, yes, Jim Henson was very popular in America, and he was beloved by many young children.

Fourth, I neither said nor inferred that I knew more than anyone else in the world when I was 8. When I was 7 or 8, one thing I can say is that A LOT of youngsters my age were aware of Jim Henson's death, and many of us were STUNNED by his death. I didn't know about it anymore than many 7 or 8 year olds at the time. Like i said, for many of us at that age (or younger) who did not lose a relative, this is likely the first time we probably felt like death hit us close to home. Yes, there are 7 or 8 year olds who already lost a relative or a loved one, but for those who didn't (and that is probably many 7 or 8 year olds), this is the "first time" where the concept of death really materialized for us. Many 7 or 8 year olds were hit a bit hard because at the very least, Jim Henson was the first time that we really experienced a famous celebrity's death. Or at least a celebrity we cared about.

Fifth, I know Jim Henson was a lot more famous in the US than the UK, hence I mentioned the "states."

Sixth, yes, I'm doing fine and I appreciate your concern about my job status. Being unemployed for 2-3 months sucks, but it was a nice vacation and a nice escape from the rat race. And besides, the economy in the US sucks so a good number of people in their mid-20s have lost their jobs and have resorted to moving back with their parents. At least the people in their mid-20s have that luxury of falling back to their parents, whereas people in their 40s have to worry about their finances, mortgages, children, etc.

Seventh, what the heck is the prick-o-meter? I really did not mean to come across as a prick. Naive, yes. Arrogant, admittedly. But never a prick.

Arthur Chung, the first President of Guyana, has died at the age of 90. He was President when the Jonestown massacre took place.

Seventh, what the heck is the prick-o-meter? I really did not mean to come across as a prick. Naive, yes. Arrogant, admittedly. But never a prick.

Sorry, BC, my mentioning the "prick-o-meter" wasn't aimed at you, rather at the original contributor. S/he has a "prick" fascination and kept blurting this out at you during the tirade.)

I know this because I was 7 or 8 years old when Jim Henson died and his death made shockwaves across America.

Er... my Gran died at 3. So I beat you by 5 years you little twat f****r of losing someone I loved. And it was someone I genuially loved, not a beardy twat with a puppet's arse on his hand. Prick.

I hope you have found a job so we don't have to put up with this sh*t posting anymore. Prick.

and are you presuming that we are all the same age as you & that no-one else famous would have died in our lives bar Henson?

God you are a prick. A colossal one. Why don't you die & cause shockwaves across your prick

<_<

First of, I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

Second, I should have said "many" instead of "most" 7 or 8 year olds. I probably blew things out of proportion.

Third, yes, Jim Henson was very popular in America, and he was beloved by many young children.

Fourth, I neither said nor inferred that I knew more than anyone else in the world when I was 8. When I was 7 or 8, one thing I can say is that A LOT of youngsters my age were aware of Jim Henson's death, and many of us were STUNNED by his death. I didn't know about it anymore than many 7 or 8 year olds at the time. Like i said, for many of us at that age (or younger) who did not lose a relative, this is likely the first time we probably felt like death hit us close to home. Yes, there are 7 or 8 year olds who already lost a relative or a loved one, but for those who didn't (and that is probably many 7 or 8 year olds), this is the "first time" where the concept of death really materialized for us. Many 7 or 8 year olds were hit a bit hard because at the very least, Jim Henson was the first time that we really experienced a famous celebrity's death. Or at least a celebrity we cared about.

Fifth, I know Jim Henson was a lot more famous in the US than the UK, hence I mentioned the "states."

Sixth, yes, I'm doing fine and I appreciate your concern about my job status. Being unemployed for 2-3 months sucks, but it was a nice vacation and a nice escape from the rat race. And besides, the economy in the US sucks so a good number of people in their mid-20s have lost their jobs and have resorted to moving back with their parents. At least the people in their mid-20s have that luxury of falling back to their parents, whereas people in their 40s have to worry about their finances, mortgages, children, etc.

Don't worry about it BC, he's just obsessed with pricks, that's all. He's probably playing with one now...

Guest Prickometeress

Hi I am the prick queen previously mentioned.

It was the fact that Mr. B C Alum seemed to suggest that because he/she was 8 when Jim Henson died, that he/she therefore knew everything about aformentioned Henson & that rumours that he might have had AIDS (Michael Jeter did & he was on Sesame Street) was automatically false because he was 8 & he knew best.

Maybe I was quite high on the prickometer but it just seemed such an outstandingly dismissive statement, followed up by the most piffling of reasons that I was incensed.

But the prickometer needs more pricks, so here I go - prick, prick, prickety prick, prick-a-rama, prick. Pete Doherty is one too.

By way of sensible discourse - the first death I remember was the Pope. Pope thingy the first one in 1978.

Secondly, my grandma died aged 76. Not aged 3. I was 3. Just in case some smartass prick (not mr or Mrs BC Alum) pointed that out.

that's it

thanks

prick princess

PS here is a picture of a 1313337217_47dcbd18fb.jpg for no reason other than there was no reason for a kat.

<_<

Most people in the UK didn't care?

I'd argue that statement.

When Henson died, there were quite a few people in the UK that did care.

Mostly because England was where a lot of the episodes of The Muppets were recorded as a lot of the major broadcasting companies in the States didn't want to take a gamble with the show. They didn't feel it was going to be a big enough hit

Many people grew up with The Muppets and also Sesame Street.

What has your gran dying when you were 3 got to do with the dispute about Henson dying of AIDS?

Ira Tucker, lead singer with the Dixie Hummingbirds, has died at the age of 83. He'd been with the group since 1938.

Charlie Dempsey, the New Zealand football official who controversially denied South Africa the 2006 World Cup in favour of Germany, has died.

When he made the news internationally, the main thing I remembered about him was his bizarre teeth. To mark his passing, here they are again:

_866131_dempsey150.jpg

Charlie Dempsey, the New Zealand football official who controversially denied South Africa the 2006 World Cup in favour of Germany, has died.

When he made the news internationally, the main thing I remembered about him was his bizarre teeth. To mark his passing, here they are again:

_866131_dempsey150.jpg

Excellent - the type of horrible f****r who represents all that is bad in sports administration. How could this tool end up in a position whereby he could effectively decide whether the 2006 World Cup went to Germany or S. Africa? And then the gutless wretch couldn't even cast a vote. Good riddance.

• Like 1

AOL get to grips with the legend of Sam Manekshaw. BBC news report as well. Surely that UK broadsheet obit is only a day or two away.

AOL get to grips with the legend of Sam Manekshaw. BBC news report as well. Surely that UK broadsheet obit is only a day or two away.

Doesn't matter, the BBC News suffices for DDP, unless the broadsheet requirement is for another deadpool...

Doesn't matter, the BBC News suffices for DDP, unless the broadsheet requirement is for another deadpool...

I'm not sure about the obit qualifications in Poolofdeath where Manekshaw sits on my team. Oddly, despite the tonnage of entries and the obvious chances of Manekshaw's demise this year only me and CP have him on the DDP. Which will put CP up with the front runners and me up from lacklustre to passable.

I'll have to consider whether, in 2009 onwards, whether the Guardian will remain a valid UK obit source for the DDP after someone writes an obituary about his dad who did nothing much at all of any note apart from work. If that's worth a broadsheet obit, then I'm going to post one to my cat. "Slept all day, caught a mouse once in 1992. Died."

Thankfully, some other sources continue with some modicum of sensibility, including the Telegraph, who bring Bruce Lester's passing to light. I may be in a minority of one here who's heard of him, but he oft popped up in 1930's British movies.

I'll have to consider whether, in 2009 onwards, whether the Guardian will remain a valid UK obit source for the DDP after someone writes an obituary about his dad who did nothing much at all of any note apart from work. If that's worth a broadsheet obit, then I'm going to post one to my cat. "Slept all day, caught a mouse once in 1992. Died."

Thankfully, some other sources continue with some modicum of sensibility, including the Telegraph, who bring Bruce Lester's passing to light. I may be in a minority of one here who's heard of him, but he oft popped up in 1930's British movies.

Yes I'd heard of him, but he's another I thought was long gone.

And yet still nothing for Wujcik, not even for Handy's DP (no offense intended Handy, I just mean that you're much more forgiving when it comes to obit coverage)... I'dve already had three hits on the WDP this year *blah blah blah rant rant rant* I'm still counting it as a hit in my books. :D

On a serious note, given the amount of people, some of whom who were legitimately famous, who didn't get a mention in the Guardian this year, my opinion is that the Guardian should stay. I wouldn't say that the Guardian's obits are making things too easy, just that some people are getting lucky (myself included, if I'm not mistaken). It does publish obits for legitimate famous people who might not have otherwise gotten one.

And yet still nothing for Wujcik, not even for Handy's DP (no offense intended Handy, I just mean that you're much more forgiving when it comes to obit coverage)... I'dve already had three hits on the WDP this year *blah blah blah rant rant rant* I'm still counting it as a hit in my books. :P

On a serious note, given the amount of people, some of whom who were legitimately famous, who didn't get a mention in the Guardian this year, my opinion is that the Guardian should stay. I wouldn't say that the Guardian's obits are making things too easy, just that some people are getting lucky (myself included, if I'm not mistaken). It does publish obits for legitimate famous people who might not have otherwise gotten one.

I'm still smarting that John Smyth's wasn't covered... :D

Sam Manekshaw gets his UK obituary in broadsheets, Maryportfuncity.

A story told of the barbed and occasionally barrack-room humour of Sam Manekshaw has him visiting his unit and being told of a soldier who had been punished after contracting a venereal disease. Asking what punishment had been meted out, he was told that the soldier's head had been shaved. "Shaved?" he roared in response. "Dammit. He didn't do it with his head."

Although I'll fully admit to never hearing of Field Marshal Manekshaw before this year, he's turned out to be one of my favourite candidates on the DDP.

Sam Manekshaw gets his UK obituary in broadsheets, Maryportfuncity.

A story told of the barbed and occasionally barrack-room humour of Sam Manekshaw has him visiting his unit and being told of a soldier who had been punished after contracting a venereal disease. Asking what punishment had been meted out, he was told that the soldier's head had been shaved. "Shaved?" he roared in response. "Dammit. He didn't do it with his head."

Although I'll fully admit to never hearing of Field Marshal Manekshaw before this year, he's turned out to be one of my favourite candidates on the DDP.

And a great handlebar moustache I must say!

Looks a lot like the actor Nigel Green too...

John Clouse, once the world's most travelled man, has died at home in Indiana aged 82. For many years he was the only person to have all of the world's 317 countries, territories and protectorates.

I sat next to him once on a plane going to Tarawa, Kiribati and a very nice man he was too. :D

John Clouse, once the world's most travelled man, has died at home in Indiana aged 82. For many years he was the only person to have all of the world's 317 countries, territories and protectorates.

I sat next to him once on a plane going to Tarawa, Kiribati and a very nice man he was too. :D

A link.

Russian supermodel Ruslana Korshunova, 20, has leapt to her death from her Manhattan apartment. Apparently she had been having difficulties finding love. If only she'd known that Banshees lived nearby....

Locally, he will be remembered for his involvement in the successful campaign for a local playing field and as a founder of the Bramford bowls club.

During the 1992 general election campaign, he attended Labour's memorable Sheffield rally, an event whose excitement he compared to watching Ipswich Town lift the FA Cup in 1978. A few years later, at the European parliament, he had the privilege of having tea with his political hero, Neil Kinnock.

Dad's spiritual home was the Bramford British Legion Club. He served on its committee on and off for more than 30 years, and was made an honorary life vice-president. He is survived by his seven children, 16 grandchildren, one great-granddaughter and his elder brother and sister.

I've got to admit to sharing OoO's concern expressed earlier in this thread. I mean, if the above had appeared in Guardian obits on April 1st you'd have wondered long and hard if they were taking the piss.

Terry Fields, former Labour MP for Liverpool Broadgreen who took a stance against the poll tax has died aged 71. He was jailed for 60 days for non payment in July 1991. He was expelled from the Labour party later that year for his "militant tendencies".