Death in Vegas

Time Added

13 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Ronnie Moran, former Liverpool captain and coach, has died aged 83.

That's the first of my Ron's gone.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, time said:

That's the first of my Ron's gone.

Aye, he's a Da Done Ron-Ron

• Like 2

Former FC Barcelona president Agusti Montal Costa dead aged 82. 

Responsible for the slogan 'Mes Que Un Club' and also for signing Johan Cruyff.

Kath Cassidy legendary tea lady for 50 years at Newcastle United aged 90.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/tributes-pour-in-for-kath

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-uniteds-legendary-tea-lady-10115946

Often spoken of by players in autobiography's and press releases and feature of regular chronicle articles.

• Like 1

She retired not too long ago. One of those names in your long list you never quite choose to pick.

On 03/08/2017 at 13:14, Spade_Cooley said:

Long-form Guardian piece on Stan Bowles' health issues here, seems like he's a shell of a human these days. Also included is an aside that Frank Sibley, his one-time teammate and former QPR boss, is also not doing too well healthwise.

John Phillips, goalkeeper for Aston Villa (1969-1970), Chelsea (1970-1979), Charlton Athletic (1981-1982), Crystal Palace (1982-1983) and the Welsh national team, has died aged 65.

GS is probably gonna win DDP. Now more than ever.

• Like 1

Explosion apparently near the Borussia Dortmund team bus....

May, thankfully, be a whole lot of nothing... Marc Bartra hospitalised with some cuts to the arm, Marca claiming it was a firecracker thrown by over-enthusiastic fans. The idea that Monaco now have ultras confuses me greatly.

3 explosions so firecrackers? Nah. Game back a day too....

Another tea lady...

Tributes have been paid to former St Johnstone tea-lady Aggie Moffat after the beloved club figure died on Thursday.

The long-time club servant was famous in Scottish football circles for a heated exchange with Graeme Souness, which the ex-Rangers boss later admitted was a contributing factor in his 1991 exit from Ibrox.

Mrs Moffat worked for the Perth club for 30 years before her retirement in 2007. In addition to making sure the directors and staff never went without a hot cuppa, she was known for brewing up some tremendous homemade soup.

A statement on St Johnstone’s official website read: “Everyone at McDiarmid Park is sad to learn of the passing yesterday of former employee Aggie Moffat.

“Often referred to as the “Saints tea lady”, that title didn’t do justice to the jobs Aggie carried out over many years at both Muirton Park and McDiarmid Park.

“Aggie briefly came to national prominence after a well-publicised fall out with the then Rangers Manager Graeme Souness but she was very much a private person with her husband and family the most important things in her life.

“We are certain that a great many former players will be sad to hear of her passing and we offer our thoughts and condolences to her family at this sad time.”

The incident with Souness occurred after a 1-1 draw at the club’s old Muirton Park ground. Souness had thrown a jug belonging to Mrs Moffat off the dressing room wall. It led to the pair squaring up to each other in front of the St Johnstone chief executive.

She told The Scotsman in 2001: “He is just a plonker. He always will be. I never liked the man and I never will.

“If he’d come back the next season I would have finished it. His nose would have been splattered over his face. That’s the only thing I regret not happening - that I didnae finish it. I should have broken his big nose.”

Mrs Moffat later cooled on the conflict, saying it was “all water under the bridge”, though she retained her stance of refusing to speak to Souness if their paths ever crossed again.

The former Scotland international admitted the row played a part in his exit from Ibrox. He told Rangers TV in 2010: “I was getting so much aggravation form all quarters. I was banned from the touchline and I felt I was getting hounded out. I couldn’t take it.

“Then there was the incident at St Johnstone which really pushed me over the edge. I got involved in an argument with the tea lady that I should never have got involved in. I stormed up to the boardroom looking for their chairman.

“Nobody knows me better than I know myself and I was nearly losing it with the chairman of another football club. I knew then I had to get out.”

Mrs Moffat was also offered a role in Robert Duvall’s 2000 film A Shot At Glory. She turned down the invitation, later stating it was the right decision. “It was a rotten film,” she said.respects.gif

Hmm, too bad you can't quote a quote in a quote, anyway...

Former ManU striker Andy Cole, whose mysterious kidney illness has already been documented in this thread, now had a kidney transplant:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-manchester-united-player-andy-10176894

5 hours ago, msc said:

Ian St John says all the (living) big name footballers of the 50s and 60s alive have dementia of some sort, but in particular, Ron Yeats does.

Aye, pardon the pedantry mind but...if his memory isn't all there how can he remember who all the "name" footballers are and which ones are still alive?

Just sayin'

Also - has St John forgotten that goalies are footballers who tend NOT to head the ball very often? Some of them remain around and still have memories that work. One of St John's former team-mates, a goalie, made an amusing contribution to a television interview a couple of years ago.

From the Wikipedia page of Tommy Lawrence: In February 2015, Lawrence was inadvertently interviewed in the street by BBC journalist Stuart Flinders who was asking elderly people if they remembered the 1966–67 FA Cup Fifth Round game between Liverpool and Everton. Lawrence replied "I do, I played in it. I was the goalkeeper for Liverpool."[3]

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Ugo Ehiogu rushed to hospital after collapsing during a Spurs U23 training session, where he's now coach.

Dead

Think he might be the first player who has featured in one of my Fantasy Football teams to die.

RIP - so young.

Tributes page

17559.gifY0Kgl2Q.jpg

Dalian Atkinson, Ugo Ehiogu, who else from that team is gone?

• Like 1