DevonDeathTrip

Phil Collins (And Other Genesis Types)

Well, judging by this article he is still in denial.

""I'm getting up and watching cricket, turning on the television at 11am and having a bottle of wine," he says.

"I was never an alcoholic; I just got to be doing that most days."

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/phil-collins-reveals-extent-his-alcohol-struggles-6095948

He seems to be killing himself from lack of motivation and boredom - then again, Genesis' lack of motivation on some of their last few albums (We Can't Dance in particular) nearly killed us from boredom too so maybe it is just karma....

Phil's going to give a one-off concert: http://www.france24.com/en/20151002-phil-collins-give-career-one-more-night

Let's see if booze really has affected him that much.

Yeah, and let's see who turns up!

Game on, then, the man is back:

http://www.nme.com/news/phil-collins/89340

Take a look at him now...

I think I preferred the empty space.

I wonder what William Hill would have given if I'd placed a bet on that happening.

He's also planning a new album.

So this means that during his absence there's been no amendments to human rights law to protect us from new Phil Collins albums, then?

Shocking!

He cannot play the drums anymore and is deaf in one ear. This could be interesting.

He cannot play the drums anymore and is deaf in one ear. This could be interesting.

It's debatable that he could play them in the first place.

His drumming with genesis is by far better than any of his so called singing solo.

• Like 3

His drumming with genesis is by far better than any of his so called singing solo.

Yes, say what you will about Phil but you can't take it away from him that he was a great drummer back in his heyday. Listen to something like Squonk, Los Endos, his Brand X stuff or even Hand in Hand from his first solo album for evidence. Genesis were a funny beast once Pete left: two of their strengths had been Phil's great drumming and their acoustic moments, so what did they do? Started using drum machines and playing synth-drenched electronic pop...
  • Like 2

Yes, say what you will about Phil but you can't take it away from him that he was a great drummer back in his heyday. Listen to something like Squonk, Los Endos, his Brand X stuff or even Hand in Hand from his first solo album for evidence. Genesis were a funny beast once Pete left: two of their strengths had been Phil's great drumming and their acoustic moments, so what did they do? Started using drum machines and playing synth-drenched electronic pop...

That is a bit harsh. There is a meandering route from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway to We Can't Dance which takes you through the uplands of A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering on a sloping descent to find yourself in the barren wilderness that is We Can't Dance.

The Drumming on his first solo album Face Value is still very good. The problem came when during the jamming phase of the music creation he came out from the drums and stood in front of a microphone. He was not the writer of the intellectual lyrics and trying to jam vocals can end up with more effect and mood rather than coherence - think Mama.

• Like 2

Phil's now claiming he nearly died from his alcoholism:

"Phil Collins knew he had to sober up and kick his alcohol addiction after a doctor asked him if his will was in order.

The Genesis legend went public with his secret booze battle in 2014, 18 months after overcoming his drinking problem, and in his new autobiography, Not Dead Yet: The Memoir, Phil blames the boredom and loneliness of retirement as a three-time divorcee drove him to seek solace in the bottle at his Swiss home.

"Night after night I find myself lying on the bed, staring out of a skylight at grey Swiss skies, rueing my life," writes Collins, who announced he had quit music in 2011 due to ill-health. "I'm all alone, save for my good friends Johnnie Walker (whiskey) and Grey Goose (vodka). 'You've got everything,' I think, 'but you've really got f**k all.'"

His turning point came in early 2013, when he contracted a near-fatal bout of pancreatitis and ended up in the intensive care unit at a hospital in Switzerland, where he heard a doctor whisper to his family, "Is Monsieur Collins' will in order?".

Reflecting on his personal struggle, he continues, "It took me until the age of 55 to become an alcoholic. I got through the heady Sixties, the trippy Seventies, the imperial Eighties, the busy Nineties. I was retired, content - then I fell. Because suddenly, I had too much time on my hands.

"The huge hole, the void, I had to fill somehow. I filled it with booze. And it nearly killed me.""

Source: https://www.genesisfan.net/phil-collins/articles/2016/doctor-will-comment-was-turning-point-in-phil-collins-alcohol-battle

Not surprised he was a Grey Goose w***er to be honest.

Phil's autobiography is out soon. Tempting fate?

book-UK-300px.jpg

and taunting us

Just like the late Ronnie Biggs did!

• Like 1

Not a fan of Phil, but that autobiography title takes balls in 2016.

• Like 2

Not a fan of Phil, but that autobiography title takes balls in 2016.

If he'd called it Self-pitying Pisshead, I'd agree.

Even Phil dislikes Phil!

"At Live Aid in 1985, Collins appeared on stage both at Wembley and Philadelphia, jetting between the two on Concorde to perform with Sting, Clapton and a reunited Led Zeppelin. It looks like Im showing off: he does Live Aid not once but twice, just to make sure! I do come across a bit smug sometimes. I didnt mean to be. Watching some of that stuff back, even I started to think, hes a bit of an unlikable git, isnt he?

Collins book is candid, amusing and revealing but, for a rock superstar, there does seem to be an absence of hedonistic excess. Finding himself in bed with two women in LA, he claims there was no hanky panky. My abiding feeling is What am I supposed to do with two? Its stage-fright time. (Indeed, one of the women went on to become the second Mrs Collins).

I couldnt look you in the eye and say there was nothing in terms of sex, drugs and rocknroll but it wasnt part of life in Genesis, really, he says. We were too conscientious, too safe. We wanted to play and then we maybe had a couple of drinks and went to bed. Although Collins has lower middle class London roots, Genesis originally formed without him at Charterhouse public school.

One might expect a little bit of take off your clothes and live! if you come from a restrained environment like that. But Tony Banks only had to sniff a glass of wine and hed be on the floor. Same with Peter Gabriel. I didnt have to draw a veil over anything, it was kind of non-existent."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/phil-collins-interview-robert-plant-mixed-with-led-zeppelin-make/

In Phil's favour, he also dislikes McCartney:

"This week saw the former Genesis turned solo star announce his live return with the Not Dead Yet tour of Europe and the UK but not before he revealed why he dislikes a certain ex-Beatle so much.

"I met him when I was working at the Buckingham Palace party back in 2002," he told The Sunday Times. "McCartney came up with Heather Mills and I had a first edition of The Beatles, by Hunter Davies, and I said, Hey, Paul, do you mind signing this for me?" he told the paper. "And he said, Oh, Heather, our little Phils a bit of a Beatles fan. And I thought, You f*ck, you f*ck. Never forgot it."

Collins added: "He has this thing when hes talking to you, where he makes you feel [like], I know this must be hard for you because Im a Beatle. Im Paul McCartney and it must be very hard for you to actually be holding a conversation with me.""

Source: https://www.genesisfan.net/phil-collins/articles/2016/phil-collins-explains-why-he-really-does-not-like-paul-mccartney

Never has an internet meme been more appropriate:
impress.jpg

n '81 Phil Collins released Face Value his most accomplished album. I think the most undisputed masterpiece is In The Air Tonight. A song so catchy most people probably don't listen to the lyrics, but they should because its not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trend, its also a personal statement about the man himself.

n '81 Phil Collins released Face Value his most accomplished album. I think the most undisputed masterpiece is In The Air Tonight. A song so catchy most people probably don't listen to the lyrics, but they should because its not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trend, its also a personal statement about the man himself.

Dunno mind, every time I hear it these days I think of chocolate.

• Like 5

Yes, telling people they can go drown...

I think the American Psycho quote might go over most people's heads, Yorkie. :D

Just saw a brief interview with him on our local news, apparently he walks with the aid of a cane, in addition to his deteriorating hearing

Yes, I saw a photo of him with it the other day. Here's another one:

A-frail-looking-Phil-Collins-walks-with-

Looks alright, apart from the mum jeans.

• Like 2

God help us, he's going to tour again.

Reasonable length interview on 5live and though lucid he sounds about 20 years older than he is.

NOT off the booze, was for 3 years but takes a few glasses of wine on occasion.

Interview going on their site as a podcast, go to 5live podcasts and scroll to the essential Phil Williams.

Who was the bucket head numbnut that posted a Phil Collins thread years ago? Fwiw he appeared in The Tonight Show tonight. Yeah one foot in the grave, you gawdam idiot.

SC

God help us, he's going to tour again.

LOL - poor old Phil still doesn't understand Genesis fans...

"News of Collins' return to the stage is certain to get Genesis fans hoping the band will also make a return, but Collins is noncommittal. "Let's start with this [solo] bit first," he says. "I love the guys. I would just prefer to do this first. For now, let's just see how this goes."

The Peter Gabriel-led lineup of Genesis hasn't played since a one-off reunion in 1982 and they haven't toured since 1975. Fans continue to fantasize about a reunion, which baffles Collins. "I just don't understand that," he says. "They haven't thought it through. Pete won't sing 'Invisible Touch' or 'I Can't Dance.' We'd only do material like 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.'"

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/phil-collins-plotting-comeback-i-am-no-longer-retired-20151028

• Like 1