Death in Vegas

Time Added

Former Greek coach, who took them to their first European championships and World Cup Alketas Panagoulias, has died aged 78.

I hope I wasn't the only person here to watch their 1994 World Cup failure in a documentary later that year. For all of Panagoulias' achievements, all I can think of with him is calling Ivanov, the Bulgarian defender, "A Flat Footed Poof". Great viewing, especially as Greece got solidly worse in the competition.

• Like 1

Former Greek coach, who took them to their first European championships and World Cup Alketas Panagoulias, has died aged 78.

I hope I wasn't the only person here to watch their 1994 World Cup failure in a documentary later that year. For all of Panagoulias' achievements, all I can think of with him is calling Ivanov, the Bulgarian defender, "A Flat Footed Poof". Great viewing, especially as Greece got solidly worse in the competition.

He's somewhat been overshadowed by "King" Otto's achievements a tad...

Ramaz Shengelia, the Georgian footballer who represented the Soviet Union in the 1982 World Cup, has died aged 55.

Ramaz Shengelia, the Georgian footballer who represented the Soviet Union in the 1982 World Cup, has died aged 55.

yeh I posted it in the Dead of 2012 thread a couple of days ago with the vid of his goal against us in that World Cup. Fucking Alan fucking Hans@n let him in. Twat then, and twat now.

Fucking Alan fucking Hans@n let him in. Twat then, and twat now.

I'd still shag him though.

Shengalia?

Former Liverpool squad player Miki Roque, aged only 22, has been diagnosed with cancer.

Dead at 23.

That is very sad news...

Former Liverpool squad player Miki Roque, aged only 22, has been diagnosed with cancer.

Dead at 23.

That is very sad news...

Second player of that mid-2000s Liverpool youth side to pass, Besian Idrizaj having died a few years back.

Dead at 23.

That is very sad news...

Second player of that mid-2000s Liverpool youth side to pass, Besian Idrizaj having died a few years back.

I forgot about him very sad indeed ,you do wonder if footballers are pushing themselves too hard or maybe they are taking drugs that can't be detected with current tests.

Guest Lee

English football - DEAD 24 Jun 2012!

Not dead just in the same condition as Ariel Sharon and has been since 1990 (1966?)

• Like 1

Not dead just in the same condition as Ariel Sharon and has been since 1990 (1966?)

I have strong reasons not to comment on Euro 2012 in general; let "I feel your pain" suffice.

regards,

Hein

Dead at 23.

I was absolutely convinced I picked him for the DDP this year, but maybe I put him down as a sub, which he often was in football. Must've picked Ronnie Blackman instead, who I've now found out, is very well, retired, in Hampshire.

Irrespective of my mind being muddled, it's a very sad loss. RIP

Dead at 23.

I was absolutely convinced I picked him for the DDP this year, but maybe I put him down as a sub, which he often was in football. Must've picked Ronnie Blackman instead, who I've now found out, is very well, retired, in Hampshire.

Irrespective of my mind being muddled, it's a very sad loss. RIP

Also led to rumours that it was Mickey Rourke who had died.

Iurie Miterev, former Moldovan international stalwart, has died of cancer, aged only 37. Link in Romanian - http://www.studentie.ro/campus/moldova_in_doliu_iurie_miterev_a_murit_la_doar_37_de_ani/c-72-a-145534

However, readers of Tony Hawks' book "Playing the Moldovans at Tennis" may be interested to learn Miterev was one of the 11 that Hawks had to play - in fact, he was the first;

Their players were too busy training, I was told, to contemplate any games of tennis with any Englishmen, and they seemed unmoved by the consequence of compulsory nudity that their intransigence would necessitate. In fact, it was a full two weeks before I got one Moldovan footballer anywhere near a tennis court, and this was only accomplished after having gained the confidence of a vain football manager by pretending to be a BBC TV sports journalist, keen to make a profile of him and his club.

It was the Monday of my third week before I found myself facing Iurie Miterev across a clay tennis court. I shook hands with the object of my fear, a fine physical specimen wearing a red top and green shorts. He looked unsettlingly eager as he waited at the opposing baseline.

I hit him the first ball. A high, gentle, looping one aimed at his forehand. I watched keenly as he shaped up to it, taking a big and hugely worrying back-swing. This guy was about to strike the ball very hard indeed.

His face, a picture of concentration, was almost grimacing as his racket head made contact with the ball, and... bang!... he hit it clean over the back fence. I let out a huge sigh of relief, while Iulian scurried off to retrieve the ball. Iurie's next attempt was no better. This second shot bounced several times before it reached the net. He needed to find some kind of middle ground between the two shots, but I knew this was something he'd be unlikely to achieve in the course of an afternoon. Thank God.

In the coming days I was to discover that Iurie was no exception to the rule - the rule being that Moldovan footballers are crap at tennis.

I just couldn't Toast. I'd have to stuff a sock in his mouth and tape it shut at best before I could even get close to him and even then I'd still have to look at those shifty eyes and dodgy hair, so a paper bag may have to come out. I appreciate in his younger days he was handsome, if a bit toothy, but he's just too smooth and in love with himself for me. Although I'd look smug if I was getting paid £40,000 for every game I was commentating on.

Joe McBride, Celtic and Hibs, dies aged 74 after a stroke.

Former Dutch international 63-year old Dick Nanninga is in a worrying condition in hospital. He broke his left leg in multiple places and it had to be amputated. After the operation doctors did not succeed into waking him up from his medically induced coma. Nanninga scored the only Dutch goal in the 1978 worldcup final against Argentina.

His goal.

Former Dutch international 63-year old Dick Nanninga is in a worrying condition in hospital. He broke his left leg in multiple places and it had to be amputated. After the operation doctors did not succeed into waking him up from his medically induced coma. Nanninga scored the only Dutch goal in the 1978 worldcup final against Argentina.

His goal.

Of course he was famously sent off against West Germany earlier in the competition for laughing at the referee's decision!