James

Opera

Do rock operas qualify?

I quite often listen to The Who's rock opera 'Tommy', the original version not the goddawful soundtrack to the movie.

Yeah, but everyone should see "Tommy" at least once, if for no other reason then to see Tina Turner vibrate. It scarred my son for life.

Not having seen "Tommy", is this Tina's usual style of 'dancing' (legs wide open and vibrating like a washing machine on the spin cycle) where she looks like she's accidentally manufactured a dog-egg and is attempting to subtly flick it down her leg whilst styling it out as some sort of wobbly-legged dance manouver?

• Like 1

Opera? F*****g opera?

There's too many poofs around this place...

Huh, I'm off to hang around the football thread to look all masculine and hairy.

F*****g opera! Pah! What next, a F*****g thread dedicated to ballet?

Actually, BHB, there's a bit of a link between football and opera. We all recall the Three Fatties Tenors and their singing around the 1990 World Cup, but did you know some fans in Europe (Italy, and I think maybe Ajax) have a song to the tune of the Triumphant March from Aida?

Exactly! F*****g Italian poofs!

TLC wrote:

Not having seen "Tommy",

What? Thou hast seriously gone down in my estimation!

Twelve Trees wrote:

And don't forget Mark Anthony Turnage's The Silver Tassie, an opera about football (and war). Dmitri Shostakovich even wrote a ballet (The Golden Age) that features football prominently, saying that "Football is the ballet of the masses"

Oh, who can forget Mark Anthony Turnage? What a F*****g poof!

Do rock operas qualify?

I quite often listen to The Who's rock opera 'Tommy', the original version not the goddawful soundtrack to the movie.

Yeah, but everyone should see "Tommy" at least once, if for no other reason then to see Tina Turner vibrate. It scarred my son for life.

Not having seen "Tommy", is this Tina's usual style of 'dancing' (legs wide open and vibrating like a washing machine on the spin cycle) where she looks like she's accidentally manufactured a dog-egg and is attempting to subtly flick it down her leg whilst styling it out as some sort of wobbly-legged dance manouver?

Courtesy of You Tube, Tina's turn, er... scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmlNIZ6D-bc

Opera? F*****g opera?

There's too many poofs around this place...

Huh, I'm off to hang around the football thread to look all masculine and hairy.

F*****g opera! Pah! What next, a F*****g thread dedicated to ballet?

If there was, I could use it to inform the waiting world that top Russian ballerina Olga Lepeshinskaya has departed for a pas de deux with her maker.

Mezzo-soprano Amy Black has been found dead in a ditch in Yorkshire, seems there are 'suspicious circumstances' but she'd had had major heart surgery a while back, so not a big surprise.

Horribly, I seem (by a mixture of holidays, illness, BT internet and lack of flexibility) to have missed DDP this year by 40 minutes. However FYI, my choices that would have been 'Wake Up and Smell the Coffin' this year are;

1 - Joker - Abdelbaset al Megrahi

2 - Colin Dexter

3 - Rev Billy Graham

4 - Ronnie Biggs

5 - Licia Albanese

6 - George Whitman

7 - Yunus-Bek Yevkurov

8 - Kim-jong il

9 - Peter Ackroyd

10 - Wayne Thiebaud

11 - Hans Werner Henze

12 - James Grout

13 - Reg Simpson

14 - Trevor Bailey

15 - Roy Tattersall

16 - Inge Borkh

17 - Lisa Della Casa

18 - Doke Umarov

19 - Thwan Shwe

20 - Blanche Thebom

I wouldn't have won, and all the best to whoever does.

Blanche Thebom a unique for Twelvetrees? Or is the fat lady unlikely to be warming up?

Quite a few deaths of stars of opera reported recently, so maybe it's time for them to have their own thread.

I'll start the ball rolling with:

Maureen Forrester

The celebrated Canadian contralto has died at the age of 79.

Quite a few deaths of stars of opera reported recently, so maybe it's time for them to have their own thread.

Maureen Forrester

Got one. http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?...33&hl=opera

Yes, but that's in the extra-curricular threads "For off-topic topics". When discussing deaths, by definition a death is not off-topic.

Guest Guest

Maureen Forrester

Got one. http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?...33&hl=opera

Yes, but that's in the extra-curricular threads "For off-topic topics". When discussing deaths, by definition a death is not off-topic.

It ain't now, jobsworth. Happier?

SNN0399V_180_480481a.jpg

"I 'ate you, Butler!"

(yes, ta!)

Cesare Siepi

The Italian bass, who made nearly 500 appearances at the New York Met has, has died aged 87.

Meanwhile, in Texas, Derrick Jackson has been executed by lethal injection for bludgeoning and slashing two opera singers to death in 1988. Maybe he was more of a bluegrass man.

Robert Tear.

No link yet, but it has been announced on Radio 3 that the acclaimed Welsh tenor Robert Tear has died aged 72.

Update: link

Robert Tear.

No link yet, but it has been announced on Radio 3 that the acclaimed Welsh tenor Robert Tear has died aged 72.

Here's a link.

Giorgio Tozzi

The Chicago-born New York Met regular has died aged 88. His bass voice was can be heard in the film "South Pacific" where he dubbed Rossano Brazzi’s singing parts.

Salvatore Licitra

The Italian tenor has died aged 43 following injuries suffered in a scooter accident in Sicily. In 2002 he famously stood in for Pavarotti on what would otherwise have been his last performance at the New York Met.

Ingvar Wixell

The Swedish baritone has died aged 80. He also sang Sweden's entry for the 1965 Eurovision Song Contest!

New Zealand opera star Chris Doig had died aged 63.

A unique, joker and 13th bonus hit for Freddie the Cat should the right obit come through...

Charles Anthony

The American tenor has died aged 82. He made a record-breaking 2,928 appearances at the New York Met between 1954 and 2010.

• Like 1