Godot

Fascinating Creatures - Squids

GRILLED SQUID WITH SWEET AND SOUR CUCUMBER, CORN AND VIDALIA SALAD

4 pounds whole squid -- skinned and cleaned

olive oil to brush on squid

salt and pepper

Brush squid lightly and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 20 - 30 seconds on each side. Slice squid in 1/2-inch slices. Toss with salad and marinade.

SWEET AND SOUR CUCUMBER SALAD

10 medium cucumbers, seeded and cut into a fine julienne

2 red peppers, seeded and cut into thin ribbons 2-inches long

4 vidalia (or other sweet) onions, sliced paper thin

1/2 cup salt

6 ears corn kernels, lightly grilled

Combine first 4 ingredients and let stand for 3 hours. Drain and press out liquid. Add corn kernels and toss with marinade. Serve with grilled squid.

DRESSING

2 cups sugar

3 cups cider vinegar

2 tablespoons mustard seeds

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ancho chile powder

Combine all ingredients and toss with squid salad.

Okay, not squid but watch this octopus squeeze through a one-inch gap.

Fascinating creatures octopi.

Off-Topic Post-Whore!!!!!!

What are we coming to? It'll be Nautilii and Cuttlefish next.

Okay, not squid but watch this octopus squeeze through a one-inch gap.

Fascinating creatures octopi.

Okay, back on topic: Here's a pic of a cute baby squid.

Squiddies.jpg

Malaysian Squid Sate with Dipping Sauce

Yield: 8 servings

3 lb Squid; cleaned and cut into rings

1 T Cumin seeds

2 T Coriander seeds

3 sm Dried hot peppers

2 T Thai fish sauce

2 T Lime juice

1 T Brown sugar

Sauce:

2 T oil

2 T chopped garlic

2 T chopped ginger

2 T chopped hot chile peppers, seeds and all

3 T lime juice

1/4 c Thai fish sauce

2 ts sugar

1 T chili oil

1/4 c roasted peanuts, ground to a coarse paste

1/4 c finely minced coriander leaves

Thread the squid rings and tentacles (through the fleshy part) on bamboo skewers, leaving about 3 inches for a handle. Wrap the handle in aluminum foil (or soak skewers for 1 hour in water before using.) Combine cumin, coriander and hot peppers. Toast in a dry skillet until fragrant; grind go a powder. Mix well with fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. Add squid, marinate on a tray 30 minutes, turning from time to time. Meanwhile, get a hot fire going on a grill, and make a dip sauce by combining remaining ingredients. Grill squid about 90 seconds on each side. Serve with dipping sauce on the side.

Thread the ... tentacles (through the fleshy part) on bamboo skewers

:banghead:

I must learn to read things carefully.

At first glance this really made me wince.

Stop (well a couple of days ago really, so um, turn them for a moment or two of quiet reflection) the presses!!! The colossal squid's got a new home!!!

Book your ticket to Wellington now.

So, here I was, reading an article in New Scientist about whether the divide between the quantum and the classical worlds really exists, or whether such large multi-particle entities as Schrodinger's cat can actually be in 2 quantum states at the same time, when I see a reference to SQUIDs.

Fair livened up the article, I can tell you.

Not quite...

From the Scotsman.com: Suckers for gay trysts, fiery females and rough sex - squid secrets exposed

...males had either accidentally inseminated themselves during "violent" lovemaking sessions with females or been inseminated by other males after "bumping" into them in the dark depths of the ocean.

...males get round their inferior size by being endowed with a particularly long penis, which means they can inject the female without having to get too close to her chomping beak.

But having such a big penis does have one drawback: it seems that co-ordinating eight legs, two feeding tentacles and a huge penis, whilst fending off an irate female, is a bit too much to ask...

I dissected a frog once, and I wasn't really that interested either. I don't really get this thread as a matter of fact, squids are something to talk about but those creatures that roam the deep with lanterns are really something more interesting. And people don't even know what else is down at the floors of the sea. Just maybe some creatures old ancestors who are long thought dead might be still around.

Squid Braised in Red Wine

1 onion, peeled & sliced

4 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced

1 leek, trimmed, sliced & washed

1 small bulb fennel, sliced

½ tsp fennel seeds

½ tsp coriander seeds

½ tsp dill seeds

2 small hot chillies, deseeded & chopped

1 kg cleaned squid

zest and juice of 2 oranges

½ bottle red wine

small handful coriander leaves, chopped

Prepare the squid. Cut the body into rings and cut the wings into strips . Leave the tentacles whole.

Grind together the fennel, dill and coriander seeds.

Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed casserole.Gently fry the onion , garlic,fennel and leek until softened.

Add the ground seeds and the chillies, followed by the squid. Stir around and cook until the squid has stiffened. Add the orange juice and zest and the red wine. Season well and bring to a simmer.

Cover and put in an oven preheated to 140 C . Braise slowly for about 2 hours.

Carol Ann -

Just to let you know that your contributions to cookery aren't going unnoticed, I'm going to be making this for my mom when she comes to visit next month. Yum!

:)

The bigger the squid, the bigger the problem.
"If anyone else has got any ideas on how to defrost a huge animal of this size please do get in touch with us cos we are willing to listen to anyone,"

I've got an idea, but it'll take bloody big microwave and a rather large tupperware container. I think I'll send 'em an email to let 'em know.

The bigger the squid, the bigger the problem.
"If anyone else has got any ideas on how to defrost a huge animal of this size please do get in touch with us cos we are willing to listen to anyone,"

I've got an idea, but it'll take bloody big microwave and a rather large tupperware container. I think I'll send 'em an email to let 'em know.

How about a load of these? I thought of them in the first place because I remember seeing them on some shoddy shopping channel or other years ago; the fact there's a job lot available in no way detracts from their quality I'm sure. Plus it means there should be enough available for such an unusually large job.

I couldn't be arsed to do the maths to multiply up the sizes used in the examples to get a new estimated defrosting time for such a huge squid, but I'm confident it will be of some help.

Shame it's PayPal only and they'll only deliver within Europe, maybe they'll allow a special arrangement to get rid of such a huge amount in one go? :)

I may have given this problem slightly more consideration than it warrants...

There is a 2007 DL candidate who would be an excellent "Patron Saint" of our beloved squid thread. Can anyone name this person, and the link to this thread? It's only slightly tenuous - about two degrees of separation.

One point for the first correct answer.

There is a 2007 DL candidate who would be an excellent "Patron Saint" of our beloved squid thread. Can anyone name this person, and the link to this thread? It's only slightly tenuous - about two degrees of separation.

One point for the first correct answer.

Is it Kirk Douglas? Was he in 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and the sub is attacked by a giant squid?

I could have checked but I thought a guess would be more fun :)

Then I'm guessing Fidel Castro just to cover the anti-communist squid related bases.

Plus if I'm right I can genuinely say I've got a point, for the first time ever.

I'd guess Ernest Borgnine. He's been in so many duff disaster movies, the law of averages says that one must have been a tad squiddy.

Today in my email I received a Powerpoint thing of weird pictures, one of which was a massive squid. Because I'm thick, I spent ages trying to work out how to post a picture of it here, without having to post the whole Powerpoint thing. I eventually gave up. Having just had another look at the picture, I realise that not only am I a technospaz, I'm also a squidspaz, because it's actually a picture of a big jellyfish. What a waste of my time.

Anyway, I think the squid-related member of this year's list is Ronnie Biggs. Something to do with the picture on the cover of The Great Rock n Roll Swindle.