Vinegar Tits

Wilko Johnson

34 minutes ago, Sean said:

Wilko cancelled a gig last minute tonight as stated on his Facebook page.He is said to have had a " funny turn" and is cancelling another performance tomorrow as a result.

“Funny turn” oh boy I wonder what that means 

13 hours ago, Insane said:

“Funny turn” oh boy I wonder what that means 

Well he is diabetic following the removal of his pancreas so could be that.

Damn. Sad news.

• Like 3
  • Sad 7
  • Shocked 7

Lasted a hell of a lot longer than was expected at one point. Legend.

• Like 1

Very sad news. Incredible guitarist, made his technique look so easy. It wasn't.

Never got to see him live - damn - but did once see him cycling down a hill in Southend town centre. He pulled a face at me :D  

It would be nice if The Railway pub (his local thst boasted his face on the sign, and also some friends filmed their 'comeback' video there) reopened in his honour and memory.

RIP Wilko, legend.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Such sad news.

Also memorable for his role in Game Of Thrones as Ser Ilyn Payne, the silent executioner.

Ilyn_Payne.PNG

One of the loveliest chaps you could ever wish to meet. Saw him many times over the years. Had a lovely chat with him backstage at the Royal Albert Hall when he was on the bill for John Otway's 21st anniversary concert. Also travelled on the coach with him on one of the annual Dunkirk trips (again with Otway)

• Like 5

Wilko in his prime with Dr. Feelgood in 1976, playing to a group of bemused French townspeople :rip:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terrible news.Glad he got a fair few extra years.

Over the end credits of the BBC's World Cup match last night, they played the Feelgoods' version of Nick Lowe's Heart of the City, though I'm not sure he was even in the band by then. But a nice tribute all the same.

• Like 3

Northern Kin Festival - June 2023, which of us is going to ring them? 

311453259_645422583859577_19196540780989

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Just because he dead doesn't mean he can't appear 

8 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Good to see Badfinger’s Tommy Evans making a comeback 40 years after his suicide as well.

Just now, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Good to see Badfinger’s Tommy Evans making a comeback 40 years after his suicide as well.

To be fair some of the you thought they were dead names on the list almost are, I know because I've seen them at places like New Day and Ramblin' Man - what passes for Wishbone Ash today, for example are two competing line ups each sustained by one former member of the definitive band. Others - The Groundhogs, for example - have morphed incredibly, much mellower than the glory days and - shock/horror - now have a female singer to help 78 year old Tony out since the stroke 13 years back left his vocal power greatly diminished. 

Hawkwind are a true exception and are well placed on top of the bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

To be fair some of the you thought they were dead names on the list almost are, I know because I've seen them at places like New Day and Ramblin' Man - what passes for Wishbone Ash today, for example are two competing line ups each sustained by one former member of the definitive band. Others - The Groundhogs, for example - have morphed incredibly, much mellower than the glory days and - shock/horror - now have a female singer to help 78 year old Tony out since the stroke 13 years back left his vocal power greatly diminished. 

Hawkwind are a true exception and are well placed on top of the bill.

There's only one member of The Sweet still above ground as well.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Others - The Groundhogs, for example - have morphed incredibly, much mellower than the glory days and - shock/horror - now have a female singer to help 78 year old Tony out since the stroke 13 years back left his vocal power greatly diminished.

I spotted The Groundhogs and thought, blimey are they still going?  Saw them in Oxford in their heyday, my boyfriend was a fan but I couldn't name a single one of their songs now.

6 hours ago, Toast said:

I spotted The Groundhogs and thought, blimey are they still going?  Saw them in Oxford in their heyday, my boyfriend was a fan but I couldn't name a single one of their songs now.

Cherry Red, a crunching anthem with a riff so infectious a guy went on to name a record label after it: 

• Like 1

I saw on Wikipedia that his cause of death is listed as Pancreatic Cancer there. I thought he was cured, did his cancer returned? I found nothing about it on the Internet despite this Wikipedia article.

6 minutes ago, Prophet said:

I saw on Wikipedia that his cause of death is listed as Pancreatic Cancer there. I thought he was cured, did his cancer returned? I found nothing about it on the Internet despite this Wikipedia article.

I think an editor on there has put 2 + 2 together and come up with 5.

I've removed the "Deaths from pancreatic cancer" category.

• Like 1