Death Watch Beatle

Magic Johnson, And Other Basketball Players

A memorial service for former local sports franchise holder Eli Jacobson has been set for Jan. 17 at the B’Nai Zion Temple, according to his wife, Pat Lindsey.

Jacobson, 69, brought a Continental Basketball Association team with him from Columbus, Ohio, in 1994. The Shreveport Crawdads, which became the Shreveport Storm, lasted two seasons

SC

Edit: "“Eli got stage 4 bedsores, lost the use of his legs and then had his colon and rectum removed,” Lindsey said. “He was in and out of the hospital or nursing home for most of the last 10 months. The wound was a big factor in his death".

​Egad! I wouldn't wish that nastiness on my worst enemy. Dr. Zorders maybe :referee:

• Like 1

Non-qualifying obit from The Guardian, as it's the international edition.

Ah, but it also shows up in the UK edition. You can go to the UK edition and search for him, you'll find him. Interestingly, there is a US sports sub-category, under home => sports => US sports. I didn't know about that. That made the obit much more likely. Ah well, that's why I said I need another year to fine-tune my obitability sense.

Congratulations to those who picked him!

• Like 1

And yet no New York Times obit though they're slower than molasses. Interesting to see if he gets one.

MTV reality stars Diem Brown did but Ahmad Givens didn't. No rhyme or reason.

SC

And yet no New York Times obit though they're slower than molasses. Interesting to see if he gets one.

SC

I think the reason Diem and Joey Kovar got NYT obits and other reality star's dont is because The Real World is the original reality show in the Us and predates everything else by almost a decade. It has a name value brand even more watched reality shows don't ,it is thee reality show for a generation of people attached to their youth even if almost no one has watched TRW proper in a decade.

Also if Andrew Smith does not get a NYT Obit that would not be shocking because NY is not a College Sports hub the way certain other regions and cities of the Us are.

SC

I think the reason Diem and Joey Kovar got NYT obits and other reality star's dont is because The Real World is the original reality show in the Us and predates everything else by almost a decade. It has a name value brand even more watched reality shows don't ,it is thee reality show for a generation of people attached to their youth even if almost no one has watched TRW proper in a decade.

Also if Andrew Smith does not get a NYT Obit that would not be shocking because NY is not a College Sports hub the way certain other regions and cities of the Us are.

And here I thought it was as simple as Brown was a white gal with breast cancer and Givens was black.

I'd have guessed Smith's chances were less than 50-50 but NY colleges ARE basketball schools and zero football so I gave him a fighter's punch chance. The Times are excellent at taking 3-4 days to post obits, even fahkin online. Give it till Friday then I'll declare it a lost cause.

SC

Sherron Mills dead at 44. He had ALS.

He was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 1993, but never played a game in the NBA. He went on to have a decent career in Europe.

Johnny Bach, coaching veteran of the Chicago Bulls, dies at 91. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-johnny-bach-bulls-20160118-story.html

One DDP team awaits a QO. Good luck with that.

Blow me, a mention in the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3405776/NBA-National-Basketball-Association-roundup.html

• Like 1

Johnny Bach, coaching veteran of the Chicago Bulls, dies at 91. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-johnny-bach-bulls-20160118-story.html

Blow me, a mention in the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3405776/NBA-National-Basketball-Association-roundup.html

Guy was Phil Jackson's assistant for three championships; it wasn't terribly obtuse at all was it?

SC

Guy was Phil Jackson's assistant for three championships; it wasn't terribly obtuse at all was it?

SC

There's really no precedent one way or another since no Assistant Coaches to one of Popovich,Riley,Jackson's etc teams had died since Daily Mail started going for Us readers. :hatsoff: Kudos to the person who took a chance on him.

Craig Sager The longtime NBA sideline reporter known for his ever colourful suits has been diagnosed with Leukemia

His cancer had been in remission

Now it's back and doctors told him he has 3-6 months to live

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/craig-sager-tells-hbo-that-his-leukemia-is-no-longer-in-remission-205120813.html

Former (Univ of) Indiana star Archie Dees, the first two-time Big Ten Conference MVP, died Monday morning at age 80. Dees led the Hoosiers to back-to-back conference titles in 1957 and 1958, finishing his senior season with averages of 25.5 points and 14.4 rebounds. Both numbers still rank among the five best single seasons in school history. He was rewarded with two straight league MVP awards.

SC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/former-indiana-hoosiers-star-archie-dees-dies-at-age-80/2016/04/04/618155bc-fa83-11e5-813a-90ab563f0dde_story.html

His death was mentioned in another thread, but I'll use this one to note that his death has gotten Guardian and Mail coverage. Not a DDP pick, but him and Andrew Smith both getting QOs could be a useful reference point the next time a risky-obit basketballer falls ill.

• Like 1

His death was mentioned in another thread, but I'll use this one to note that his death has gotten Guardian and Mail coverage. Not a DDP pick, but him and Andrew Smith both getting QOs could be a useful reference point the next time a risky-obit basketballer falls ill.

We are getting close to the point I'd be more confident in US sports names than in non-big team footballers getting qualifying obits.

• Like 1

Ha! I just made the same point in Shaun's Deadpool thread.

We are getting close to the point I'd be more confident in US sports names than in non-big team footballers getting qualifying obits.

Which is all the more impressive given Yahoo UK no longer counts for the DDP, and in 2013-15 that tended to be the best bet for the riskier US sportspeople (most notably being the only obit source for Jack Pardee in 2013).

Former Kentucky guard Ed Davender, the only Wildcat with at least 1,500 points and 400 assists, has died. He was 49.

The school announced Saturday that Davender died Thursday night after suffering a heart attack earlier in the week.

SC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/former-kentucky-guard-ed-davender-dies-at-49/2016/04/30/95f4b600-0ee1-11e6-bc53-db634ca94a2a_story.html

• Like 1