Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

So that Sylvia Disley - a British Olympic medal winner 56 years ago - could hold the swan vesta aloft and also so that an exhumed Rod Stewart could prove he was really alive.

I think we should be considering Sylvia too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2...ies/3842065.stm

An incredibly youthful look for 75 though, it must be said. But maybe the Olympic committee know something about her health that we don't; hence the honour of being the first person in England to hold the lantern. Check her and the swan vesta out in the first photo.

And my god, who is that on photo number 6? Celebrity sleepover changed my life...

• Like 1

Sort of off topic, but timely I suppose.

In 1912 Portuguese marathon runner Francisco Lazaro Marathon collapsed during his Olympic event and died the next day.

In 1960 Danish cyclist Knut Jensen fell off his bike, and later died in hospital (full to the gunnels with amphetamines apparently.)

Anyone got any thoughts on who's most likely to give up the ghost at the games?

• Like 1

well, the hosts would seem to have one nominable candidate in that judo woman who went off a balcony (to be followed days later by her boyfriend), although given that was 10 days or so ago she'll likely hang on. Then there's the two sprinters, drugged up to their eyeballs, victims of a "motorcycle crash" (riiiiiiight), who might succumb to the pressure of bringing shame to a nation.

That Danish cyclist really was a stupid knut, huh?

• Like 1

Wasnt the Danish guy a sailor who didnt know his port from his starboard, Ronnie?

• Like 1

I would have thought "Eric the Eel" of Sydney Olympics fame would have been in with a chance, but he never made it to Athens because of a bureaucratic bungle

Damn shame that.

• Like 1

Talking of the Olympics, I see Britain's won 2 gold medals for white-water rafting...

...the winning team were two blokes from Boscastle in a Transit van. :lol:

Talking of the Olympics, I see Britain's won 2 gold medals for white-water rafting...

...the winning team were two blokes from Boscastle in a Transit van. ;)

How dare you make me laugh when I'm trying to shovel food into my mouth ! :lol:

News just in...

The Greek Judo woman, Eleni Ioannou, (as reported above) has taken the gold in the open balcony flying competition after leaving hospital through the morgue door 17 days after her famous leap. Of course, being Greek, there's a good chance she'll fail the compulsory drug test :D

...however that would leave the way open for Michalis Chryssostomidis, her bf, who took the same jump a few days later - bad news is though that police said "Chryssostomidis had been in trouble in the past for drugs" - so maybe not such a good bet.

Is this a chance for Paula Sadcliffe to redeem herself? ... :D

taken the gold in the open balcony flying competition

Maybe they wanted to change their discipline to high diving ?

Did they forget to check & see whether the pool had been filled first ?

:D

Whats going on?? :huh:

I just saw a live interview with Paula Sadcliffe where she didnt burst into tears :o

These Olympics are turning into a damn farce!

News is a bit harder to come by on the paralympics, but does anyone have inside information on any prospects or reports of anyone keeling over?

Lol - I agree - the interactive coverage on the BBC has been sadly lacking - I was really looking forward to the synchronised diving event

Speaking of the Paralympics...I cant remember if I have ever wheeled out the old one about how on earth do they allocate the disabled parking spaces in the car parks at the Paralympic venues??

Anyone know who won gold in the one-legged arse kicking competition? :referee:

News just in....... tanni grey thompson has been stripped of her medals, the judges found traces of a banned substance. There were traces of WD40 found in her wheelchair........ :D

• Like 1

Olympic speedskating champion Yevgeny Grishin dies at 74. He was the first to skate the 500 m in less than 40 seconds.

News bulletin.

Perhaps a little obscure?

regards,

Hein

Ibolya Csak

Hungarian high jumper who won Olympic gold in 1936, and European gold 2 years later. Originally given silver in the latter, but it emerged that the original recipient of the gold was a man!

Ibolya Csak

Hungarian high jumper who won Olympic gold in 1936, and European gold 2 years later. Originally given silver in the latter, but it emerged that the original recipient of the gold was a man!

Staying on the dead olympian's theme,

Larry Black, gold and silver medal winner in Track and Field at the 1972 olympics.

Died aged 54.

• Like 1