Our Sole

Nelson Mandela

Quote...... Mandela 'to lead quieter life'

Nelson Mandela, hero of South Africa's anti-apartheid struggle, says he will withdraw from public life. Surely a sign?

Remember Alistair Cooke said something similar...... 4 weeks later..... the rest is history... :unsure:

Well he looked pretty chirpy in the interview when he 'retired'.

Mind you, the mind may be willing, but the body ...

The news on Radio 2 yesterday described him as "increasingly frail" and "needs a stick to walk" - he sounded in fine fettle mind you.

Give him 20 months max.

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - South Africa's anti-apartheid icon and one of the world's most revered statesman, Nelson Mandela, announced that he will be scaling back his public schedule to enjoy "a much quieter life."

Mandela, who turns 86 next month, said he wanted to spend time with his family and friends, write memoirs about his tenure as South Africa's first black president, enjoy reading and engage in "quiet reflection".

The latest on NM:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3934525.stm

...the numerous phone calls and guests Mr Mandela receives every day. Let alone the places and people he decides to visit on the spur of the moment.

Those who've worked with him say quite plainly that Mr Mandela is a workaholic.

scratchchin.gif That could be a good thing or a bad thing at his age, but I don't reckon I'll be putting him in my team just yet.

Guest sirius dogstar

Am a bit worried about Nelson Mandela. Aint heard nothing bout him for some time now. Coul;d he be next for the chop?

Guest Fugley

Nope, I hear the old goat is taking legal action to protect his name being used to endorse unauthorised products/services. Sound like he is still alive to me.

:rolleyes:

Am a bit worried about Nelson Mandela. Aint heard nothing bout him for some time now. Coul;d he be next for the chop?

From what I have seen, he does not appear to be frail and has not yet withdrawn from public life. At 86, he is very active and still making numerous appearances for different causes.

Nelson Mandela meets Tony Blair in London

Nelson Mandela at fundraising event

Nelson Mandela, hero of South Africa's anti-apartheid struggle, says he will withdraw from public life. Surely a sign?

Remember Alistair Cooke said something similar...... 4 weeks later..... the rest is history...

Lasted longer than I thought he would Good on him

His only surviving son has just died in hospital after being in critical condition for several weeks. It's going to be interesting how much longer he will continue keep going after this tragedy.

Nelson Mandela's eldest son dies

Maybe it's just me, but Nelson Mandela just seems like someone with enough strength to live well into his 90s. He hasn't had any notable health problems, and he survived being imprisoned into his 70s. I'm guessing he will die somewhere along the lines of 93-96.

Guest dimpeepers

:( Just seen Nelson Mandela on the tellybox today, not looking well bless him, and nearing 90. :old: Some of his 'companions' look v young in comparison, perhaps theyll wear him out.

He was talking bout his son who died recently from AIDS!! So maybe a risk there too?:dead:

Plus someone should shoot him for wearing those really dodgy burtons shirts>

Another pre-dead president to add to the list. others not included...

Jimmy carter -recently ill oldy.

Maggie t -getting increasingly doddery, I hope tony didnt pay her the winter fuel allowance this year!

Micky Gorbachov- post op cancer. And that thing on his head? :o

George Bush Snr - a son like his bound to worry him :(

Augusto Pinochet - If his memory comes back the guilt could finish hin. :P

:( Just seen Nelson Mandela on the tellybox today, not looking well bless him, and nearing 90. :( Some of his 'companions' look v young in comparison, perhaps theyll wear him out.

He was talking bout his son who died recently from AIDS!! So maybe a risk there too?:dead:

Plus someone should shoot him for wearing those really dodgy burtons shirts>

Another pre-dead president to add to the list. others not included...

Jimmy carter -recently ill oldy.

Maggie t -getting increasingly doddery, I hope tony didnt pay her the winter fuel allowance this year!

Micky Gorbachov- post op cancer. And that thing on his head? :o

George Bush Snr - a son like his bound to worry him :(

Augusto Pinochet - If his memory comes back the guilt could finish hin. :P

I think you just see a person over 80 and think he's a dead cert, which is certainly the wrong way to be looking at things. :old::(:(

I think you just see a person over 80 and think he's a dead cert, which is certainly the wrong way to be looking at things.

We are all dead certs, not if but when.

he'll be doing the "long walk to the end of the tunnel"

I just saw some footage of Mr Mandela at his son Makgatho's funeral. He didn't look very well.

See this BBC news article for a review of the funeral.

regards,

Hein

I just saw some footage of Mr Mandela at his son Makgatho's funeral. He didn't look very well.

See this BBC news article for a review of the funeral.

regards,

Hein

Take into consideration, how well is he supposed to look at 86 years old after being imprisoned for 27 years? I think he has alot of physical and mental strength to pull through those times.

Guest johnny the fox

OH WELL THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR PLANTING BOMBS IN SHOPPING CENTRES

HE JUST DESERVES TO DIE

THE SOONER THE BETTER

OH WELL THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR PLANTING BOMBS IN SHOPPING CENTRES

HE JUST DESERVES TO DIE

THE SOONER THE BETTER

Ooooh, someone's confused, and in all upper case too.

I'm so impressed.

regards,

Hein

Guest johnny the fox

IM NOT CONFUSED

I WOULD BE IF I GOT CAUGHT PLANTING BOMBS, WAS MARRIED TO A MURDERING COW AND MY SON DIED OF AIDS

REGARDS

FOXY

IM NOT CONFUSED

I WOULD BE IF I GOT CAUGHT PLANTING BOMBS, WAS MARRIED TO A MURDERING COW AND MY SON DIED OF AIDS

REGARDS

FOXY

I'm not sure which bombing you refer to, but I very much doubt that Mr Mandela had anything to do with it. Could you provide some more details?

One more thing: writing in all upper case (or ALLCAPS) in online fora is considered as shouting. I can hear you perfectly without that.

regards,

Hein

Guest johnny the fox

It is common knowledge that mandela was a bomb planter and im sure there are websites with the relevent details

You wont get the details off the anc website

mandela is and until he dies a low life

It is common knowledge that mandela was a bomb planter and im sure there are websites with the relevent details

Heresay is just that until you name your sources ixion.

Heresay is just that until you name your sources ixion.

Prezactly.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1