Boudicca

The Deathlist Kitchen

Sorry to get on your case again Godot, but I think (and Mrs. N agrees) that Goulash counts as gravy.

Another 10% all right?

I wondered about that myself, but if you just pick out the meat and spuds does that count? :referee:

Thanks Lady Gren, Corned Beef hash noted, was one of my favourites in the Boy Scouts. Gravy situation is getting quite dire. It's been almost a week. No gravy, of course, meant no roast beef and Yorkshire pud on Sunday, did a goulash instead that turned into a sort of curry, now punishing myself on salads but had a nice rump steak tonight (with salad). Mrs Godot let me do the shopping and it all turned out bad, managed to spend a fortune on lots of things that didn't go with each other, Godettes also complaining. To make matters worse I fed what was left of last week's lamb joint to the dog and he was squirting from both ends during the night. Fortunately Mrs G had cleared everything up by the time I appeared. Mrs G has given up Soduku for lent. Big deal, I say.

Sorry to get on your case again Godot, but I think (and Mrs. N agrees) that Goulash counts as gravy.

Another 10% all right?

After our chat room debate I think the jury must remain out on this one. I think I'm still a gravy free zone.

Sorry that was your's truly, Mr Tenpercent.

Depends if you were doing the cooking or not, you can accidently have no gravy/sauce if you cook it wrongly, did that happen to you Godot? otherwise a currysauce = gravy :referee:

Hmmm LG keeps talking about food .....Should I start to get worried !!!

Sorry that was your's truly, Mr Tenpercent.

Depends if you were doing the cooking or not, you can accidently have no gravy/sauce if you cook it wrongly, did that happen to you Godot? otherwise a currysauce = gravy :lol:

Yes, all my own cooking. I cook good. Finished off the goulash/curry tonight, no gravy. One thing I have noticed about curry - and this is vitally important for all curry lovers - a good curry should be left for at least 24 hours before it's eaten. It takes that long for the spices to permeate the meat and the flavours to settle. That's my cooking tip of the week. More curry tips to follow.

Hmmm LG keeps talking about food .....Should I start to get worried !!!

Once she starts reminding you of RoseAnn then you know theres a problem. :lol:

I love goulash. I think Hungarian cuisine is probably my favourite

Speaking of curries etc., here is an Indian recipe for cabbage that is very very delicious. It comes from this cookbook:

Buttered Smothered Cabbage (NB: "Buttered" refers to the texture of the cabbage, not to butter as an ingredient)

1 small cabbage (c. 2lbs)

2 tbsp ghee or light vegetable oil

1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds

1/4 asafetida (optional)

1/4 tsp tumeric

1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger root

1 cup chopped fresh ripe tomato (1 large one)

2 green chilies, seeded and minced

2 tsp Kosher salt

1-2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh coriander leaves

1. Shred the cabbage into 1/4 inch-thick shreds.
  2. Heat ghee/veg oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan. When it is hot, add the cumin seeds. When they are browned (c 10 - 15 secs), add the asafetida if you are using it, then immediately add the cabbage.
  3. Sprinkle tumeric over the cabbage and saute, turning and tossing rapidly until the cabbage is wilted (c 5 mins).
  4. Add the ginger, tomato, and chillies and cook for another 5 mins. Add salt and one cup of hot water.
  5. Reduce heat to med-low and cook the cabbage, covered, for around 20 mins, until it is tender and the water has been absorbed. (Make sure to stir it often so that it doesn't stick to the pan.)
  6. Add the chopped coriander and stir it in.
  7. Serve!

Yum!

Speaking of curries etc., here is an Indian recipe for cabbage that is very very delicious. It comes from this cookbook:

I love cabbage and curried cabbage is fantastic, I'll be trying your recipe soon ie+, have you tried it using brussels sprouts instead of cabbage? They also are brilliant curried. Here is a recipe for curried mushrooms taken from this book:

Mushroom Curry

450g (1lb) White mushrooms

6 small potatoes

1 tablespoon ghee

2 medium sized onions

small piece of root ginger, grated

chilli powder (amount variable depending on how spicy you like your food)

2 dessertspoons of broken coriander or any other fresh herbs

1 teaspoom tumeric

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

3 medium sized tomatoes

1 teaspoom garam masala

1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Cut the mushrooms into quarters and peel the potatoes keeping them whole. Heat the ghee in a saucepan, add the thinly sliced onions, ginger and herbs (I use basil and coriander) saute gently for 5 minutes then add tumeric, salt and chilli powder, allow to sizzle for a minute or two then add the mushrooms, potatoes and sliced tomatoes, mix well, cover and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes then add the garam masala and lemon juice, simmer for another 10 minutes and serve.

This recipe is adaptable, I don't use potatoes and I put more tomatoes in, you can also cook it uncovered if you want a fairly dry curry. As Godot mentioned all curries taste better if left for 24 hours before eating, this one is no exception.

Enjoy.

Does anyone eat Brain's Pork Faggots anymore? I'm rather partial to them but I can't find them in my local supermarket. They are rather an acquired taste, perhaps they have been discontinued due to lack of public demand.

So do I handrejka, when my brothers and I were kids we got to choose a 'birthday dinner', my Mum would make whatever we wanted, my memories of those were we all kept choosing 'Hungarian Goulash', in later years I chose my dad's 'Wiener Schnitzel' but the boys always went for the goulash, she made it for me just before Xmas last year after maybe 20 years of not tasting it, it was wonderful, one of my brothers spends a couple of days every 2 weeks in Budapest, because of his work, he told me the goulash there is to die for but different from what we had as kids, my Mum always stirred in some sour cream at the end of the cooking, and they don't do that in Budapest, I just wondered if anyone else has had this dish with soured cream or cream stirred in?

So do I handrejka, when my brothers and I were kids we got to choose a 'birthday dinner', my Mum would make whatever we wanted, my memories of those were we all kept choosing 'Hungarian Goulash', in later years I chose my dad's 'Wiener Schnitzel' but the boys always went for the goulash, she made it for me just before Xmas last year after maybe 20 years of not tasting it, it was wonderful, one of my brothers spends a couple of days every 2 weeks in Budapest, because of his work, he told me the goulash there is to die for but different from what we had as kids, my Mum always stirred in some sour cream at the end of the cooking, and they don't do that in Budapest, I just wondered if anyone else has had this dish with soured cream or cream stirred in?

Yup, but poured on top in a thick dribble.

Just made a life changing decision in the chat room - decided to give up gravy for lent. So any none gravy recipes would be appreciated.

Just thought I'd let you know Godot, my Mum was talking to the local RC priest (her garden borders the Chapel grounds) about Lent, she mentioned she had given up alcohol for Lent and he said that 'High Days and holidays (Holy Days)' are exempt from Lent and that the exempt days also include the Sabbath, seems a bit strange, can't find any verification of it on the internet, but if true it means you can have gravy on Sundays, sorry I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday but have been working 12 hours a day this weekend and didn't get on here until tonight.

Just made a life changing decision in the chat room - decided to give up gravy for lent. So any none gravy recipes would be appreciated.

Just thought I'd let you know Godot, my Mum was talking to the local RC priest (her garden borders the Chapel grounds) about Lent, she mentioned she had given up alcohol for Lent and he said that 'High Days and holidays (Holy Days)' are exempt from Lent and that the exempt days also include the Sabbath, seems a bit strange, can't find any verification of it on the internet, but if true it means you can have gravy on Sundays, sorry I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday but have been working 12 hours a day this weekend and didn't get on here until tonight.

Sounds a bit dubious, I mean Jesus didn't come out of the wilderness for a cup of tea and a fag, did he? Did curry instead tonight but lots of complaints from Godettes about curried sprouts and spinache. Gravy yearning is pretty bad now. I suppose this is cold turkey (which also comes without gravy).

Sounds a bit dubious, I mean Jesus didn't come out of the wilderness for a cup of tea and a fag, did he? Did curry instead tonight but lots of complaints from Godettes about curried sprouts and spinache. Gravy yearning is pretty bad now. I suppose this is cold turkey (which also comes without gravy).

Yes I thought so too Godot, but I do love curried sprouts, that surely makes up for gravy deprivation, tell the Godettes if they don't eat them they don't get any pudding, worked for me as a child.

I make soup boiling up a couple of bones for a stock, ask your butcher for a bone or two, he gives them away free, that won't count as gravy.

Well that's nothing LG, I go to the butcher, get all his sweepings up, then put them through a tea strainer with lashings of boiling hot water and make a very tasy pot of clear sawdust soup. Then I go back and raid the charity box to buy some cardboard for shoes. These young folk, they don't know they're born.

What's in your fridge?

Typically, I have my condiment collection, whichever fruits / berries are in season to go with the Boudette's breakfast, and cherry tomatoes, carrot, cucumber and peppers which she eats raw. She likes a bit of lettuce with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as well.

(Don't look at me like that! That's what she has always eaten and she likes it because she's used to it. My parents give her McDonalds on Sundays, and she has an item of crap every day after school. I'm not THAT much of a spoilsport!)

After discovering that my sister didn't know where the fruit and vegetable aisle was , I had a look at what she feeds her two year old son and was horrified! Tinned and reconstituted rubbish all the way.

My sister tried to feed my daughter a burger the other day and was told it wasn't colourful enough and was probably made from cows willies :lol:

What's in your fridge?

... probably made from cows willies :huh:

Fridge inventory:-

Condiments: HP Sauce, english mustard, mint sauce, LSD.

Fruit, Veg & Salad (where possible from the UK; not that I have anything against foreign produce, but the less fossil fuel that is burned to get my food to me, the better): Curly lettuce, celery, tomatoes (not very tomatoey) broccoli (try to eat it every day), red onion, watercress, parsley (love it), button mushrooms, beansprouts (grown in UK, oddly enough).

Juices: Grapefruit juice, Orange juice.

Meat: Kippers (I'm a veggie mostly but lapse when tempted, like when I had a full english brekky on saturday, ridding my fridge of various crimes against livestock: bacon, sausages & black pudding :D )

Dairy: Eggs, free range, size medium. Double cream, 3 types of cheese (red leicester, wensleydale, philadelphia if that can be called cheese). Milk, lots of milk, semi-skimmed, much to girlf's digust.

Cultures :lol: : Natural yogurt (big pot), hazelnut yogurt x 4.

That's a pretty typical haul for me, I suppose. There would have been dark chocolate Bounty bars, but they got scoffed at the weekend to raise my mood after Drogba cheated scored twice for the Chelski filth.

I can identify with this stuff. We tried to bring up the Godettes without sweets and were pilloried by the rest of the family every Easter because we didn't get the kids Easter eggs. Just now our fridge is full of bits that don't go with anything. Without Mrs Godot all the food preparation has gone to pot and everyone is eating peanut butter.

Bou- you're doing the right things. Colourful food, particularly toms tends to have plenty of anti oxidents. I eat spinache as a carbo substitute so have spinache instead of bread and potatoes. The kids will eat carrots but it's hard to get them to eat greens beyond peas or green beans. They won't eat sprouts or cabbage but will eat broccoli. I admire what you're doing and hope you can keep it up. I was reared on fat and pies so my veins must be lard tubes by now.

My fridge is evidently the antithesis of Boudicca's, containing, at the present time: 3 fat duck breasts, 2 jars of duck fat (essential for S.W. French cuisine), 3 different varieties of camembert, one of which smelt so disgusting that it was temporarily relocated to the overspill fridge in the boiler room, goats cheese, ancient capers, anchovies, a wilted lettuce, half a green pepper and 2 red peppers (also wilted), spring onions, 30 out of date eggs, 3 litres milk (full fat), Dijon mustard, Creme Framboise (raspberry liqueur used for making Kir Royale), lardons, Strasbourg sausages (sort of hot dogs), ham, butter, creme fraiche and homemade jam.

Just need lashings of red wine to counteract it all I suppose.

Speaking of strawberries...

I was recently (aka last night) bemoaning (to myself, in my head) the lack of TASTY strawberries currently available to me. The strawberries available here are in no way comparable to delicious juicy British strawberries. :lol: Enjoy them while you can, y'all...

What's in your fridge?

3 cans of Guinness

2 cans of Ruddles

3 cans of Pedigree

5 bottles of Bavarian wheat beer

2 bottles of expensive and strong french beer

4 cans of Spitfire ale

2 bottles of white wine

1 bottle of Champagne

2 bottles of Indian tonic water with added lemon

also some cheese, Stilton and a mature cheddar.

What's in your fridge?

3 cans of Guinness

2 cans of Ruddles

3 cans of Pedigree

5 bottles of Bavarian wheat beer

2 bottles of expensive and strong french beer

4 cans of Spitfire ale

2 bottles of white wine

1 bottle of Champagne

2 bottles of Indian tonic water with added lemon

also some cheese, Stilton and a mature cheddar.

Now that's what I call a fridge :o

Myself and LG are booking the bus now TF

Party at TF's everyone :D

3 cans of Pedigree

He's even provided for Yogi!

Or Banshees with a serious case of the munchies :o

3 cans of Pedigree

He's even provided for Yogi!

Or Banshees with a serious case of the munchies :D

:o Sadly Pedigree has very nasty effects on Yogi, our fridge currently has 2 bones in it for him, so we could always bring those with us in case anyone gets hungry.