maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

I had posted that, in the other thread, cause of the names being listed, of stars that were born from 1950, & prior. & a ton of names on that list, weren't metal, hard rock, or even pop, yet they were still listed. :P

Gary Loizzo, lead singer with The American Breed and thereafter a record producer with Styx and REO Speedwagon, reportedly dead at 70. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1272385212788250 (Jimy Sohns) and https://www.facebook.com/Dennistufanosings/posts/1004071242997473

Bend Me, Shape Me: https://youtu.be/f3mUO268OkY

As always, formal report awaited to confirm. Edit: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/17/chicago-music-icon-gary-loizzo-70-dies/

• Like 1

That's a rather inconsiderate way to pay off my belief in his improving health when choosing 2016 teams.

The Eagles' Glenn Frey is facing major surgery for intestinal issues. http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn-frey-major-surgery/

The heat is on, as they say...

Dead

edit: "Death in the Fastlane", or something? I'm no good at these...

He's Already Gone.

There are loads. I think we've done them all already.

The heat is off.

• Like 1

So, no Heartache Tonight after all.

Guest Droosy

Another big miss by the Deathlist committee.........

• Like 1

The heat is off.

Ah, but not for the cremation dear fellow ! Fire up the incinerator, we have a dead Eagle to fry.. or 'frey' even !!

• Like 1

and you knew he was going to die this year? (Fuckwit)

• Like 1

Guest Droosy

and you knew he was going to die this year? (Fuckwit)

well, Frey had an major operation in November and since then he has not left the hospital........and the doctors probably didn´t keep him there as a lucky charm. Everything pointed out to the inevitable - he was about to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proves you can check out anytime you like and leave.

• Like 1

Lol at all the newspapers saying he wrote Hotel California

Lol at all the newspapers saying he wrote Hotel California

He co-wrote it so not sure what's funny unless they make it sound like he did it himself

SC

Been away most of the night. Sure Glenn Frey is a hit for me somewhere and a scoring one at that. Yep, on the Deathrace. And on the anniversary of my brother's death. Wow, another gift from somewhere.

Sad to see him go though, RIP.

One DDP team (not mine) had the sense to listen to me.

• Like 1

When David Bowie died a little over a week ago, it was almost like losing a friend you've known for some time. Not quite a close friend, but someone who was always around and you had a good connection with even if you didn't agree with everything he said or did. When Glen Frey died, I felt the same as if I'd heard the death of a CEO of a company like Johnson & Johnsn, Nabisco or Anheuser-Busch. It wasn't until they started playing snippets of "Hotel California" and "The Heat is On" on the news that I made the connection and remembered how much I hated those songs. I know I'm not alone as there's been a huge division among my friends on facebook many of whom have been fairly open with their dislike for The Eagles.

While some great songs at the time were the result of an LSD trip, "Hotel California" to me always seemed as if it was forced, with Henley, Felder and Frey sat in a studio saying to each other "yeah pink champagne on ice that bit's good, now we just need something that rhymes with ice"

Now that bands like Grateful Dead, and The Eagles are no longer touring, who will 50 and 60 year old suburbanites pay $250 to go to see in concert?

When David Bowie died a little over a week ago, it was almost like losing a friend you've known for some time. Not quite a close friend, but someone who was always around and you had a good connection with even if you didn't agree with everything he said or did. When Glen Frey died, I felt the same as if I'd heard the death of a CEO of a company like Johnson & Johnsn, Nabisco or Anheuser-Busch. It wasn't until they started playing snippets of "Hotel California" and "The Heat is On" on the news that I made the connection and remembered how much I hated those songs. I know I'm not alone as there's been a huge division among my friends on facebook many of whom have been fairly open with their dislike for The Eagles.

While some great songs at the time were the result of an LSD trip, "Hotel California" to me always seemed as if it was forced, with Henley, Felder and Frey sat in a studio saying to each other "yeah pink champagne on ice that bit's good, now we just need something that rhymes with ice"

Now that bands like Grateful Dead, and The Eagles are no longer touring, who will 50 and 60 year old suburbanites pay $250 to go to see in concert?

I did go to see them at the O2 a couple of years back. but only because there wasn't much else going on in my gig diary and I could get a ticket for around £50. I only went for Joe Walsh really. It was pretty dull, except for Joe.

I did go to see them at the O2 a couple of years back. but only because there wasn't much else going on in my gig diary and I could get a ticket for around £50. I only went for Joe Walsh really. It was pretty dull, except for Joe.

The consensus I get is that Joe Walsh seems to be the reason for many people going to see them. They had their biggest hit mid-way though the band's career shortly after Walsh joined and also their internal issues were at a height and they disbanded just a few years later. During my late teens I would put Hotel California on the jukebox in the pub, along with songs like "The End" by The Doors, and "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly, just so I could get over half an hour of music from the 50p that I stuck in it. After just a couple of years, I became utterly sick of hearing their songs.

More recently, when elderly relatives of my wife or close friends of the family would die and it came time to clearing out their houses. The records in their collection would be given to me (regardless of what was written in to the will). It was generally known that I seem to be the only one that has a record player). So within a few short years, I became the owner of half a dozen copies of "Hotel California" and "The Eagles - Greatest Hits". The record stores don't really want them as they can't get rid of the half a dozen copies that they already have even when they're selling them for $1 in the bargain bin. I also had a load of albums by Bread, Chicago and Air Supply that I had tremendous difficulty getting rid of.

This was the highlight for me (not from the gig I was at, obviously).

Anyone know if Terry Noland is still alive?

I have found that he was born in Abilene, Texas in 1938 but other than that, I see no date of him dying.

This is probably his best known track recorded in 1958 Fungus Among Us It was covered by Hugh Barrett and The Victors in 1961, and by Inner City Unit in 1985

While I do like the songs of the Eagles, I agree with you that "Pink Champagne on ice" is a gastronomical disaster.

And to answer you last question, I think U2 will end up filling that slot. Watching Rolling Stones is also an expensive endeavor these days.

• Like 1