Sign in to follow this  
Guest They_kill_me_if_i_tell_you

Dom Mintoff

S'cuse the cynicism but sure it's easier to have a big impact on an entire nation that measures 19 miles by 2 than it is on - like - a proper country.

Not that I want to be controversial or owt.

If we leave the question what exactly the size of a proper country ought to be aside, the above sentiment never stopped ambitious politicians, like Mussolini, Thatcher or GWB, trying. Some succeeded.

regards,

Hein

Let's not forget the biggest country of them all - Russia. I heard some guy named "Lenin" went in there and had a fairly sizable impact.

S'cuse the cynicism but sure it's easier to have a big impact on an entire nation that measures 19 miles by 2 than it is on - like - a proper country.

Not that I want to be controversial or owt.

If we leave the question what exactly the size of a proper country ought to be aside, the above sentiment never stopped ambitious politicians, like Mussolini, Thatcher or GWB, trying. Some succeeded.

regards,

Hein

Let's not forget the biggest country of them all - Russia. I heard some guy named "Lenin" went in there and had a fairly sizable impact.

Gandhi?, Mao?...

Aye point taken, I was being somewhat flippant anyway. For your Hatfields and McCoy's others might substitute the Have and Have Nots. We Cumbrians tend to divide between forward thinkers and traditionalists, usually defined in the differences between those who fancy other girls more than they fancy their own sisters.

Malta is still small though isn't it?

Small but oddly I have known two people (unrelated to me or each other) from there. Strange.

No Bruno, there was only one. You were drunk.

I take yer points about Lenin and the rest but yer missing part of mine. It takes one hell of a character to do a Lenin. Mintoff on the other hand, is surely something of a big fish in a little pond. How far would he have got in the UK?

I take yer points about Lenin and the rest but yer missing part of mine. It takes one hell of a character to do a Lenin. Mintoff on the other hand, is surely something of a big fish in a little pond. How far would he have got in the UK?

Considering how far Blair got: quite far.

regards,

Hein

Aye, you may have a point there.

It's less about his health than about being a drama queen in the face of a few problems. He could always flee to another small territory - Northern Ireland - where his dogmatic views and the attitude he's forever right regardless of the opinions of others might lead him to find a soul-mate or two in the Paisley family.

got really excited at seeing ol'Dom thread active.....but its the most unworthy news story ever !

Still...small news is better than no news .

However....I think "Drama Queen " is a perfect interpretation of events....

Can't say I was greatly acquainted with the man's personality before now but surely, the self-obsessed crusty old git would be a 'natural' on reality TV. It would give the rest of us a ready source of information on his current health.

Aye point taken, I was being somewhat flippant anyway. For your Hatfields and McCoy's others might substitute the Have and Have Nots. We Cumbrians tend to divide between forward thinkers and traditionalists, usually defined in the differences between those who fancy other girls more than they fancy their own sisters.

Malta is still small though isn't it?

Small but oddly I have known two people (unrelated to me or each other) from there. Strange.

No Bruno, there was only one. You were drunk.

But now I'm sober and there are three of them :)

Sobriety clearly hasn't dampened your off-kilter take on the ways of the world, great!

A man with your talents could go far in the right place. Ever thought of standing for government in Malta?

Has Mintoff made any high profile pronouncement on the waves of refugees currently swamping Malta, given his fondness for closer relations with African neighbours the problem presents him with a the old political rock and a hard place problem.

Follow up from post above from December.

Mintoff won, but is now complaining that he wasn't awarded enough.

From DL's point of view there are two sentences of interest.

To start with, they claimed, there was "the sheer indignity" suffered by Mr Mintoff who, apart from having an enormous influence in the development of the Maltese Republic, was a 90-year-old man who suffered from a number of illnesses

but also:-

The actions of the public authorities have effectively hounded out this man from his chosen resting place of residence, (L-Gharix, in Delimara) which had been built specifically close to the sea where he would indulge in swimming daily, to a house in one of the more populated areas of Malta

Well enough to swim daily, obviously, so how ill is ill? Could be a Biggs thing.

His win, and successive whinging have now made him very unpopular in Malta. That particular home is just one of many, of course, and some Maltese lost their homes under rules brought in, in the past, by..... Dom Mintoff.

Don't be surprised if he gets assassinated at this rate.... :D

Mintoff lives and still visits various people and locations as was shown in early December.

The receptionist at Labour's headquarters could hardly believe his eyes when he saw former leader Dom Mintoff walk through the door last Friday.

He hurriedly phoned one of the officials on the administration floor. "Mr Mintoff has just walked in," he said, anxiously expecting instructions on how to proceed.

"What? Mintoff?" was the quick reply, "give me some time". There was a brief uncomfortable lull, and then, the instructions straight from the top: "let him go through, immediately!"

It is ironic that the visit of one of the Labour Party founders at the party's headquarters should cause so much consternation, but Mr Mintoff's one-hour tour of the glass building was a first, since he had never been there before.

The Dapper Domino Player Visits Glass Palace

In hospital suffering from congestive heart failure and dehydration, where he is 'improving' but 'still on the critical list'.

In hospital suffering from congestive heart failure and dehydration, where he is 'improving' but 'still on the critical list'.

Deathlist had better start writing up on the latest deaths, otherwise there'll be a backlog...

Dom Mintoff was admitted to hospital with shortness of breath on the 26th January.

His condition has improved though.

Could well be our number 3 this year from the sound of things, Zsa Zsa seems to be on her last legs, or rather leg

Dom Mintoff has been admitted to hospital again 'due to a deterioration in his level of consciousness'.

Other news reports suggest that he is stable, but unwell.