Sign in to follow this  
Moosey

Pete Mccarthy

Sunset and evening star,

And one clear call for me!

And may there be no moaning of McCarthy's bar,

When I put out to sea.

Pete McCarthy, writer, broadcaster and humorist, loses 8-month battle with cancer aged 51. Which is shame, because I liked his books & he was on his way to writing another one. :P

Did anyone even know that he was ill? (Apart from him, his doctor, his wife & kids, etc, etc. Obviously.)

I am another fan. Very sad! Why is that he gets reaped when so many on the list survive to fight another year?

No, I wasn't aware he'd been ill either.

Geez, I thought for a minute there we were talking about John McCarthy - the man who likes a captive audience. Oh well, I guess I got my McCarthy's confused. Thought the bit about bars was directly related to radiators. Must get my eyes tested.

I really enjoyed his first book, especially the purgatory bit. Never quite managed to finish the second.

Guest Lucy

sadly sadly missed

just read of this now after having lived in ireland for the past year. Can't quite believe it especially as i have just picked up his first book again for about the eleventh time. He made an excellent travel friend and will always have a place in my heart and memories,

don't worry pete, from now on i will always stop in a pub with your name on it!

Is this the same Pete McCarthy who used to present the little watched series on Channel 4 "Happens Now", which I think Andy Kershaw also used to present?

Guest stewartwilkins

Hmmm. Such a shame to have lost Pete - his books were very funny and I enjoyed reading them over & over. I have a dream that one day I can travel & write about my experiences. It is all thanks to Pete McCarthy that I am now obsessed by travel writers and their works. Sadly missed.

Guest Jenn

Can I just say that I was truly shocked to read about the death of Sir (as he should rightly have been) Pete McCarthy? I only looked him up on google to find out when his much anticipated third book was coming out, and found out about his death. As sad as it seems, I truly feel like I have lost a friend. This will make it so much harder to read his books, he ws such an alive writer - truly one of the greats. God bless, Pete - I know you're up there in that big McCarhty's bar in the sky.

And can I just ruin this post by replying to the person who asked why Pete? At the end of the day, he was just another person, who, although a fantastic writer, didn't deserve to die any less than anyone else.

God bless, Pete - I know you're up there in that big McCarhty's bar in the sky - I'm sure those days at Lough Derg will have paid for that!

Guest Joe Boyle

Here we are in April 05 and I just heard about Pete McCarthy dying last November.

He made me laugh, and not many can do that.

Love to his family. :P

Guest RickMuddy

Only found out yesterday while watching the bit in the BAFTA's where they showreel the celebs that have passed on during the previous year - couldn't believe it when Pete McCarthy's picture came up. Always found his style of presentation and delivery brilliant - really sad he's gone.

Guest Julia McCarthy

Sad to hear last night that Pete Mc Carthy died hope he is having a drink in Mc Carthy's bar with all the clan x :P

Guest M McCarthy

I just finished McCarthy's Bar. My father in-law, who was from Cork gave me the book before he passed away lst October. There will be two Cork men sorely missed.

Guest Stephen Mc Carthy
Here we are in April 05 and I just heard about Pete McCarthy dying last November.

He made me laugh, and not many can do that.

Love to his family. :(

I have just read Mc Cathy's bar and have googled his name for information about other books he has written, this is the website I found. The writing world has lost one of its greats

What is this - a family reunion?

Guest Andee Anko

I too have just discovered PeteMcCarthy. I am halfway through McCarthy's Bar, laughing outloud and planning a possible solo venture to the west of Ireland. Like Pete I am one of the diaspora. Just not of the *Irish* diaspora--ha! I googled his name and found this site. So sad.

So sad.

What's sad? I'd have thought anyone who finds the DL site via a Google match would be thrilled to share in all the lively discourse and witticisms, accompanied by some sort of musings about the subject of their search. Plus it seems like most of the people only found out Pete McCarthy was dead (several months ago now) as a result of having visited the site, which shows a) they couldn't have been such big fans in the first place and :P that the DL is a useful purveyor of information.

oy, I never put a smiley in that last post, it was supposed to be a "b" with a ")" next to it.

Censorship - I demand a full refund!

oy, I never put a smiley in that last post, it was supposed to be a "b" with a ")" next to it.

Censorship - I demand a full refund!

Midway down the post page is the text "Post Options"

If you deselect the checkbox "Enable emoticons?" then B) won't be changed into a smiley.

Guest Guest

I read McCarthy's Bar when I lived next door (more or less) - in the heart of West Cork and with distant McCarthy relations. I've only just discovered The Road to McCarthy which has triggered me to start blogging again after a year's break and facing the horrible history of my celtic/anglo ancestors (as he did). I wish there was a site for the guy but it's all dead, like him. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time - I don't personally like Guinness but I'll raise an Irish Coffee to you for your attention.

Cheers

Triona Carey

triona.c@virgin.net

http://dotdot.blog.co.uk

Triona,

I can't think anyone would have any reason to speak ill of this guy. He was a wonderful writer and raconteur, and such a great loss. I finished the second book just a few weeks ago. Good luck in your quest for your roots. Loved West Cork when I was over there a couple of years ago. Hope to be making the short hop again soon.

I shall keep my eye on your blog.

Guest Kate

Rest in Peace, Mr McCarthy. You have always been my favourite writer. x

Guest Dave

I know that it was last October and that if I was that much of a fan I'd have realised before this, but the fact is, I was a huge fan, and I didn't find out until today................ and I was shocked.

I wrote to the guy last Summer - I have never written to any kind of public figure in my life before or since. I've read and re-read his books and lamented the fact that I haven't got and iota of his talent, but was thankful that he had been blessed with more than his fair share

Apart from being an exceptionaly relaxed writer he just seemed like the kind of bloke I could have passed a happy evening in the pub with.

Shame.

And, I think I'll pop into McCarthy bars in future as well (my surname is Lloyd ...... and popping into Lloyds bar has never been a particularly happy event for me)

The reason, in my opinion, that Pete's passing was a relatively low key affair was that despite being such a successful writer he never seemed to be playing the celebrity game. If he had been some boneheaded celeb,(say a Big Brother contestant) it would have created a bigger stir. My reaction on hearing of his demise was an initial sadness and a feeling of warmth for the man brought about by the memory of the pleasure I derived from reading his books.

Always a good sign was the fact that his books were recommended by word of mouth by other readers and not the usual and jaundiced opinions of professional reviewers.

I'll miss Pete.

Guest Dave L

Perhaps we can all learn something by a quote found in McCarthy's Bar. Just as Pete had finally reached the dorm at St Patrick's Purgatory and had lied down to enjoy a few lines from his book, the lights went out. His reflection on it the next day:

"If life is a book, then read it while you can. Don't save up any pages for later, because there might not be one."

Read up, friends.

Guest eamonn

:D this is what pete done for me. i laughed at almost every single page.I will miss reading his future travel guides.

i actually finished Mccarthys bar today, and just found out about his death, its a shame.

anyone who hasnt read Mccarthys books, get reading.

Guest Anon

I knew Pete personally, he was a good man, an amazing dad and never shyed away from helping out. His family wanted to keep his illness low key to deal wsith the grief thmselves which I feel is justified. He will be missed greatly and I ask you all to take a few minutes out of your day on the 6th October to remember him.