themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

In 1961 Bert Kaempfert became the first German to top the Billboard singles charts with “Wonderland by night”. He was also the composer of worldwide hits like “Strangers in the night” and “Spanish Eyes”.

On June 21, 1980 he died at his home on Majorca aged 56 because of a stroke.

zoom_CD_Bert_Kaempfert_1500.jpg

• Like 1

Controversial singer and actress Zarah Leander died 32 years ago on June 23 1981.

Zarah-Leander-1-DW-Kultur-Frankfurt-Main-Archiv.jpg

25.06.2009 – this day will always be remembered as the day the lovely Farrah Fawcett died. Nothing more important and nothing more interesting happened on that day.

farrah-fawcett-0021.jpg

• Like 2

The one and only Mr. Jack Lemmon: February 8, 1925 to June 27, 2001.

MV5BMTE5NTE3ODE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTU1MTM2._V1._SY314_CR5,0,214,314_.jpg

On June 28 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir presumptive to the Austro-Hungarian throne, and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were shot dead in Sarajevo by Gavrilo Princip, one of a group of six Bosnian Serb assassins. The attack led to the outbreak of World War I one month later.

franz-ferdinand.jpg

• Like 1

On June 28 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir presumptive to the Austro-Hungarian throne, and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were shot dead in Sarajevo by Gavrilo Princip, one of a group of six Bosnian Serb assassins. The attack led to the outbreak of World War I one month later.

franz-ferdinand.jpg

What's with that face in his picture? He looks like someone's just grabbed him by the balls.

• Like 1

What's with that face in his picture? He looks like someone's just grabbed him by the balls.

Most probably you are right. But in his class and standing they might would rather say "crown jewels" than balls! ;)

Jayne Mansfield, actress, singer, entertainer, sex symbol of the 1950s and 1960s and one of the early Playboy Playmates, died 46 years ago in a traffic accident in which she was NOT decapitated. She was only 34 years old.

jayne-mansfield-1950s.jpg

Five days after the diagnosis of (lung) cancer, famous and influential dancer, choreographer and dance teacher Pina Bausch died on the 30th of June 2009 at age 68.

onlineImage.jpg

American footballer Joe Delaney died by drowning thirty years ago yesterday. He didn't let the fact that he couldn't swim stop him leaping in to a lake in doomed attempt to save three children.

joedelaney1.jpg

• Like 1

Nine years ago the legendary Marlon Brando died aged 80. Oh, he was such a handsome man:

Marlon_Brando_001_221208.jpg

Sorry, wrong picture:

marlon-brando-wild1.jpg

• Like 2

My future in deadpooling was anticipated with Brando's passing when at work there was a discussion on celebrity death and I suggested Marlon would be the next to die, just 24 hours before he actually did!

My future in deadpooling was anticipated with Brando's passing when at work there was a discussion on celebrity death and I suggested Marlon would be the next to die, just 24 hours before he actually did!

I had a similar situation with Amy Winehouse during a conversation about Club 27 the day before she died... very scary... :shock2:

Today but 20 years ago actor Fred Gwynne died of cancer at age 66. He is mostly known for his role as Herman Munster in The Munsters but he was also a character performer, singer and writer.

fred-gwynne-1.jpg

52 years ago today (2nd July 1961), Ernest Hemingway blew his brains out.

EH04475P.jpg

On the same day In 1997, actor Jimmy Stewart (probably most famous these days for his lead role in Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo) died aged 89.

(BTW, the film is good but deeply flawed and way overrated in my opinion, and the long and boring middle of the film really killed it for me)

old%20-%20a%20vertigo%20alfred%20hitchcock%20dvd%20review%20jimmy%20stewart%20kim%20novak%20PDVD_016.jpg

And in the "less well-known" category, Swede Savage died in hospital on this day in 1973, 33 days after surviving a huge and spectacular crash that ended in a massive fireball of his own car's burning fuel, at one of the most deadliest races/contests of its time, the Indy 500. In fact, he came out of the wreck fairly well considering how violent it was (video below) and was not expected to die, but sadly it was one of those nasty deals where you contract something in hospital while recovering from otherwise survivable injuries. It's variously reported as either a "hospital infection", or Hepatitis B from a blood transfusion which shut down some of his organs.

Swede%20Savage%2073.jpg

Hollywood star James Stewart, who starred in movies like "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Vertigo", died today in 1997 at age 89.

james_stewart.jpg

The 3rd of July will always be remembered as a day with two tragic losts for the music business: Brian Jones, lead guitarist of the Rolling Stones in 1969, and Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors just two years later.

Both artists died on drug related circumstances, both deaths left many questions and that’s their entry for the legendary Club 27 (which was created many years later).

brianjones5.jpgJim%2BMorrison%2B1967.jpg

Acting horse Trigger died in 1965 (no not the guy from Only Fools And Horses)

01-sm-Illustration%20Photo.jpg

On July 4th 1995, painter Bob Ross, famous for his PBS show "The Joy of Painting" (which I seem to recall also got aired here in the UK) died aged 52 from cancer.

Actually, I seem to remember reading at some point that his cancer may have been caused by toxic chemicals in his paints which is tremendously sad if true.

On this day 10 years ago, world-famous, silky-smooth soul singer Barry White died aged 60 - I'm gonna guess, he died from just general complications of being absolutely massive.

BarryWhite.jpg

And finally, on July 4th 2008, Jesse Helms, long-time Republican Senator for North Carolina, and all-around general anti-everything guy who I don't know where to start describing, died at the age of 86. It's actually hard to list how many things he was anti-. Being anti-civil rights and anti-feminist/abortion rights wasn't enough for Jesse, he was anti-gay-rights (well, duh), but also anti-disabled rights(!) too. In reponse to Bill Clinton urging that gays should be allowed to serve openly in the US military, he suggested that the then-new president should "have a bodyguard" next time he comes to North Carolina. Apparently Helms had never heard of the Secret Service. He was one of 14 "successes" for our host website on their 2008 list.

3_21_070408_JesseHelms.jpg

46 years ago talented actress Vivien Leigh passed away. What a beauty she was!

c41450d12576c1b655792c7a4617bef7a2c0c858e1e2e42746b8b599.jpg

On July 8th 1994, Kim Il-Sung, dictator of North Korea, father of the late Kim Jong-il, grand father of current North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, and 1990 winner of the "Dictator Whose Propaganda Images Look Most Like A Margarine Packet" Award, died age 82. Here's a fun, little-observed fact about Kim Il-Sung: He was born on the same day the Titanic sank. He was also a successful pick for Deathlist 1994.

Kim-Il-Sung-Birthday.jpg

And exactly one year ago today, Ernest Borgnine, famous actor, died age 95. He had a long and varied career which continued into old age. He's probably one of the most unlikely (i.e..... y'know, ugly) people to win a "Best Actor" Oscar, for his title role in the movie "Marty" in 1955. He also had a small role in the awesome 1967 WW2 movie "The Dirty Dozen", and was in a whole bunch of other stuff that only old people remember, like 1960s TV series "McHale's Navy". My personal reaction to his death was a mixed one. I was sad because I liked him in the 1981 John Carpenter "sci-fi"/action movie "Escape From New York" which is still a ton of fun to watch. But I was also relieved that he could no longer gross the world out with completely unwanted revelations like he did on the set of "Fox & Friends" in 2009.

AP_ernest_borgnine_jt_120708_wg.jpg

46 years ago talented actress Vivien Leigh passed away. What a beauty she was!

c41450d12576c1b655792c7a4617bef7a2c0c858e1e2e42746b8b599.jpg

Fucking crackers though...

Christa Päffgen died 25 years ago on July 18 1988 aged 49.

Never heard of her? You did certainly under her pseudonym NICO.

She was a Warhol Superstar, a singer, a member of the Velvet Underground, an actress, a musician, a fashion model and an ICON.

In the summer of 1988 she had a minor heart attack while riding on a bike and a severe cerebral hemorrhage after hitting the ground. Because of a wrong treatment she died later that day.

tumblr_m8da4wnp1o1r671a2o1_400.gif

Christa Päffgen died 25 years ago on July 18 1988 aged 49.

Never heard of her? You did certainly under her pseudonym NICO.

She was a Warhol Superstar, a singer, a member of the Velvet Underground, an actress, a musician, a fashion model and an ICON.

In the summer of 1988 she had a minor heart attack while riding on a bike and a severe cerebral hemorrhage after hitting the ground. Because of a wrong treatment she died later that day.

tumblr_m8da4wnp1o1r671a2o1_400.gif

I suppose that was because there was NO IC available.

regards,

Hein

She was the first Golden Girl who passed away: Five years ago and three days before her 85th birthday Estelle Getty, our beloved Sophia Petrillo, died.

EG01.JPG

• Like 1