DevonDeathTrip

Phil Collins (And Other Genesis Types)

God help us, he's going to tour again.

LOL - poor old Phil still doesn't understand Genesis fans...

"News of Collins' return to the stage is certain to get Genesis fans hoping the band will also make a return, but Collins is noncommittal. "Let's start with this [solo] bit first," he says. "I love the guys. I would just prefer to do this first. For now, let's just see how this goes."

The Peter Gabriel-led lineup of Genesis hasn't played since a one-off reunion in 1982 and they haven't toured since 1975. Fans continue to fantasize about a reunion, which baffles Collins. "I just don't understand that," he says. "They haven't thought it through. Pete won't sing 'Invisible Touch' or 'I Can't Dance.' We'd only do material like 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.'"

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/phil-collins-plotting-comeback-i-am-no-longer-retired-20151028

The only doing material like The Lamb Lies Down... would be the whole fucking point, right?

So who hasn't thought it through?

• Like 2

Story I heard from my ex-music journalist wife.

Phil Collins was having one of his periodic huffs back about fifteen years ago, and was telling people that he had played the congas as an noncredited session musician on one of the tracks on All Things Must Pass, and not only did he never got any praise for this from George Harrison, but his playing had been axed. News of this got to the late Beatle, who couldn't remember off hand Collins working on the album. But anyhow, he got a session musician to play a set on the drums really badly, taped it, and then sent it to Phil with a note saying: "Found your recording.."

A quick Google shows Collins mentioned it earlier this year, so I'll assume its true then.

• Like 2

God help us, he's going to tour again.

LOL - poor old Phil still doesn't understand Genesis fans...

"News of Collins' return to the stage is certain to get Genesis fans hoping the band will also make a return, but Collins is noncommittal. "Let's start with this [solo] bit first," he says. "I love the guys. I would just prefer to do this first. For now, let's just see how this goes."

The Peter Gabriel-led lineup of Genesis hasn't played since a one-off reunion in 1982 and they haven't toured since 1975. Fans continue to fantasize about a reunion, which baffles Collins. "I just don't understand that," he says. "They haven't thought it through. Pete won't sing 'Invisible Touch' or 'I Can't Dance.' We'd only do material like 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.'"

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/phil-collins-plotting-comeback-i-am-no-longer-retired-20151028

That is so funny.

• Like 1

Story I heard from my ex-music journalist wife.

Phil Collins was having one of his periodic huffs back about fifteen years ago, and was telling people that he had played the congas as an noncredited session musician on one of the tracks on All Things Must Pass, and not only did he never got any praise for this from George Harrison, but his playing had been axed. News of this got to the late Beatle, who couldn't remember off hand Collins working on the album. But anyhow, he got a session musician to play a set on the drums really badly, taped it, and then sent it to Phil with a note saying: "Found your recording.."

A quick Google shows Collins mentioned it earlier this year, so I'll assume its true then.

Indeed it's true and the awful recording was played on BBC radio at the time as part of a documentary into the re-issued All Things Must Pass - I'll confirm I heard it.

• Like 1

Poor old Phil: even feminists dislike him, if this thoughtful critique rant is anything to go by:

"Whether he liked it or not, Collins embodied this type of “white man’s pop,” even though his music wasn’t about money, or even success. Rather, it chronicled his failures in love, and the creeping feeling of not fitting in, despite the millions of records sold. It was music for a generation of men who wanted to climb the corporate ladder and not get led astray by a deceitful woman, but who also yearned to find home in an available body... It is music about women, not for them...

“This type of white male insecurity, coupled with entitlement and ambition, is precisely the pop man’s burden. During his rise to stardom, Collins was acting under the impression that his experience is universal. And yet, he continually shies away from a close read of his work. “Forced at gunpoint to analyze it, I’d have to say it’s a good break-up song, with universal resonance and empathy,” he reluctantly writes about the song, “Against All Odds.” All he can muster is: “People hate a break-up, but they love a break up song.” The women in his songs act as a foil against which he can project his own fears and insecurities."

https://newrepublic.com/article/138280/phil-collins-pop-mans-burden

• Like 1

More details on Phil's health issues:

""Oh yeah, I nearly died, he says, chomping a gnarly piece of gum hes been going at all morning. My organs were kind of f..ked. It was spirits, ­corrosive stuff. He ended up in intensive care with acute pancreatitis. He remembers his sons nanny coming to visit him. Is Monsieur Collins will in order? he heard the medical ­professionals ask her. Another time, he was on holiday in Turks and Caicos with his sons, staying in the residence next door to Keith Richards, but drank so much he had to be airlifted to New York for treatment. Imagine what sort of state you have to be in to upstage Keith Richards on holiday.

Eventually he was given Anta-buse, a drug used to treat chronic alcoholism. It blocks the enzyme that metabolises alcohol, so you get ­brutal headaches and nausea if you drink while taking it. That seemed to do the job, but the whole slide was made all the more depressing by the fact that ­Collins had, up until that point in his life, been Mr Moderation.

He was bored and depressed. His third marriage had already gone down the pan. After the birth of their second son, Orianne suffered from what sounds like postnatal depression. Collins admits in the book that he dealt with it rather abysmally: I dont have too much compassion. I keep flashing back to my dads attitude to illness of any sort. Pull yourself together, hed say, and get back to work. Plus he was away constantly: on tour, or in the States writing a Disney musical (although Orianne seemed rather grateful for his absences).

[snip]

[On the infamous "suicide" interview] Does he still have suicidal thoughts? Meh, he snorts. [The journalist] spent three days with me and over those three days we talked briefly about have you ever felt suicidal because, obviously, youve been through some dark times three marriages, five kids, you dont live with any of them? Its a pretty dark place for a man. Well, for this man, anyway, he says, pointing to himself. [its easy] to say, well, the only common denominator in all of that is me, so maybe its my fault, maybe Im the one whos lacking So sometimes of course you would dwell on that and sometimes you would get a little down and think, f..k yeah, what can I do? I think thats where I just happened to say, Yeah, Ive [had suicidal thoughts]. I never thought about it seriously.

He was mortified when the article came out. Im thinking, Oh, my kids! What are they going to think? What are my kids friends going to think? What are my kids friends parents going to think? We dont want to let our kids go and sleep over at Matthews in case he wipes the whole lot out with an axe! You never know! He pauses. It never got as bad as that. It never got anywhere near as bad as that. There were no suicidal thoughts. I love my kids. Im not going to snuff myself out.

That may be so but I have never interviewed someone so openly plagued by insecurities. He seems in a constant state of angst about what other people think of him and his music.

[snip]

What does he do with his time? He struggles to come up with an answer. I went to the dentist yesterday, he offers. We gaze out at the pool. Does he use it? No, but Orianne does. She has pool therapy because shes still getting over the physical stage of her paralysis. Bloody hell, Id completely forgotten about that, among all his other sagas. Nearly two years ago, Orianne went in for spinal surgery to release trapped nerves, but spasmed while under the knife. She woke up totally paralysed down her right side and was temporarily wheelchair-bound. No wonder Collins is so morose about life."

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/another-day-in-paradise-phil-collins-reflects-on-life-and-faxgate/news-story/7415fb495046c30aa266c366e4230da9

[He is] a man who can find the negative in any situation...

"He writes: I didnt like being Mr Nice Guy, the Housewives Pal. But as soon as I wasnt that guy any more, I missed it. Now Im pop public-enemy number one.

Rod Stewart shags around serially and its just Rod being Rod. Mick Jagger does it and, well, of course he does hes Mick. Phil Collins does it and, What an a***hole."

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2003397/phil-collins-reveals-personal-struggle-that-nearly-killed-him-ahead-of-his-remarkable-comeback-to-music/

• Like 1

In Phil's favour, he also dislikes McCartney:

"This week saw the former Genesis turned solo star announce his live return with the Not Dead Yet tour of Europe and the UK but not before he revealed why he dislikes a certain ex-Beatle so much.

"I met him when I was working at the Buckingham Palace party back in 2002," he told The Sunday Times. "McCartney came up with Heather Mills and I had a first edition of The Beatles, by Hunter Davies, and I said, Hey, Paul, do you mind signing this for me?" he told the paper. "And he said, Oh, Heather, our little Phils a bit of a Beatles fan. And I thought, You f*ck, you f*ck. Never forgot it."

Collins added: "He has this thing when hes talking to you, where he makes you feel [like], I know this must be hard for you because Im a Beatle. Im Paul McCartney and it must be very hard for you to actually be holding a conversation with me.""

Source: https://www.genesisfan.net/phil-collins/articles/2016/phil-collins-explains-why-he-really-does-not-like-paul-mccartney

Macca's upset with him over that: http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/725013/Phil-Collins-Paul-McCartney-fight-tour-reunion-book

Poor old Phil: even feminists dislike him, if this thoughtful critique rant is anything to go by:

"Whether he liked it or not, Collins embodied this type of “white man’s pop,” even though his music wasn’t about money, or even success. Rather, it chronicled his failures in love, and the creeping feeling of not fitting in, despite the millions of records sold. It was music for a generation of men who wanted to climb the corporate ladder and not get led astray by a deceitful woman, but who also yearned to find home in an available body... It is music about women, not for them...

“This type of white male insecurity, coupled with entitlement and ambition, is precisely the pop man’s burden. During his rise to stardom, Collins was acting under the impression that his experience is universal. And yet, he continually shies away from a close read of his work. “Forced at gunpoint to analyze it, I’d have to say it’s a good break-up song, with universal resonance and empathy,” he reluctantly writes about the song, “Against All Odds.” All he can muster is: “People hate a break-up, but they love a break up song.” The women in his songs act as a foil against which he can project his own fears and insecurities."

https://newrepublic.com/article/138280/phil-collins-pop-mans-burden

we are living in a post-white man’s world of pop

She certainly got that right - in pop music today there is little room for straight, white men. Women, blacks and gays dominate the music that appears in the charts.

Getting slightly off topic here, but I always felt that the "alternative rock" movement of the '90s was a crafty way of pushing white men to the fringes of popular culture and making women, blacks and gays the mainstream. Rock music is the main musical genre that has been dominated by white men, and while in the '70s rock and pop were the cultural mainstream, by the '00s poppy pop by women and gays, along with hip-hop and R 'n' B by black performers, was the cultural mainstream. By creating the label "alternative rock" firstly as an alternative to the "dinosaur" rock bands from the '70s and earlier, which then metamorphises into just "alternative", most rock music made by new bands after about 1990 became "alternative" or "indie", and this had been thoroughly cemented by the year 2000.

You could of course argue that black people invented rock music as bands like the Stones and the Beatles took inspiration from Chuck Berry and the likes, but from the '60s onwards rock was a predominantly white, male genre of music.

To illustrate my point: excluding heavy metal, what new rock band that released its first album after about the year 2000 is NOT alternative rock, indie, or garage rock/post-punk revival?

I think that "alternative" was the umbrella term for all the white music that didn't fit into the happy, shallow, pro-capitalism sentiment that came with Thatcher/Reagan. The term came up in the early 80s with Bands like REM. Even in the 90's, there was no shortage of mainstream white rock'n'roll bands, like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith, basically the last wave of 80's hair metal.

Something happened to music around 1980, it became almost impossible for an artist to be both successful and subversive. You either had to be Phil Collins OR Peter Gabriel. You could not be both. A similar example: David Bowie and the Let's Dance Album.

• Like 1

I think that "alternative" was the umbrella term for all the white music that didn't fit into the happy, shallow, pro-capitalism sentiment that came with Thatcher/Reagan. The term came up in the early 80s with Bands like REM. Even in the 90's, there was no shortage of mainstream white rock'n'roll bands, like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith, basically the last wave of 80's hair metal.

Something happened to music around 1980, it became almost impossible for an artist to be both successful and subversive. You either had to be Phil Collins OR Peter Gabriel. You could not be both. A similar example: David Bowie and the Let's Dance Album.

I always say that music died after 1984.

I get your point.

Getting slightly off topic here, but I always felt that the "alternative rock" movement of the '90s was a crafty way of pushing white men to the fringes of popular culture and making women, blacks and gays the mainstream. Rock music is the main musical genre that has been dominated by white men, and while in the '70s rock and pop were the cultural mainstream, by the '00s poppy pop by women and gays, along with hip-hop and R 'n' B by black performers, was the cultural mainstream. By creating the label "alternative rock" firstly as an alternative to the "dinosaur" rock bands from the '70s and earlier, which then metamorphises into just "alternative", most rock music made by new bands after about 1990 became "alternative" or "indie", and this had been thoroughly cemented by the year 2000.

You could of course argue that black people invented rock music as bands like the Stones and the Beatles took inspiration from Chuck Berry and the likes, but from the '60s onwards rock was a predominantly white, male genre of music.

To illustrate my point: excluding heavy metal, what new rock band that released its first album after about the year 2000 is NOT alternative rock, indie, or garage rock/post-punk revival?

Can we not just listen to and enjoy music for what it is rather than having to put a label on it?

• Like 3

Can we not just listen to and enjoy music for what it is rather than having to put a label on it?

Hell yeah, a good tune is a good tune - people get so touchy about the presentation sometimes:

The-Black-and-White-Minstrel-Show.png

• Like 4

Ahhh MPFC, the dark period of Genesis. Peter Gabriel looking a little chubby there....fnah, fnah...

• Like 1

I think the term Alternative became a a catch all genre name because a lot of these bands despite coming from different subgenre's of music all sorta either came from non mainstream and college rock stations. The same thing happened when people starting using the term "Electronica" to describe unrelated genres of TripHop,House,SynthPop,NoisePop,Ambient etc for a time in the late 90's. The term Indie is used as a catch all now though because outside of Arena Rock bands in general the Rock scene literally is independent now from Mainstream. I'd even go far to as saying Kurt Cobain was probably the last new American rock star.

• Like 1

Phil Collins has always had a problem with the hardcore Genesis fan base. He frequently acknowledged that he had no idea about what some of Tony Banks' more poetic songs were about and he characterised Genesis as a blokes group. When he made his solo stuff it was much more mainstream and when he came out from behind the drums during jamming sessions with the group the solo and the group became more aligned. This also happened to be when Peter Gabriel suddenly surprised everyone by making a commercially successful album.

I saw Genesis at Wembely on The Invisible Tour and the old songs went down the best with the crowd. I am not sure how I would feel about a PG/PC Genesis reunion.

However The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is Genesis falling apart it might as well be a solo Peter Gabriel album. There are some great tracks on it but it is not an easy listen.

Phil Collins does what Phil Collins does and does it well. He deserved his Oscar for You'll Be In My Heart. That is where he is most comfortable but I still maintain that A Trick of The Tail is a fantastic album by any standard.

• Like 1

I saw them a few times in the Gabriel era, but I was a pretentious teenager then. Haven't listened to them for years, but I never liked the Collins incarnation.

This man looks against all odds. He looked so frail on recent tv shows in 2016.

http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/724214/Phil-Collins-frail-Jonathan-Ross-Show-performance-Twitter

I bet even Sir Creep has heard of him

Shame you haven't heard of the original thread - Merged

my tagline was better

If you want to add a tagline after the thread has already started, let me know and I can update it. No need to start new threads just because you have a better tagline.

He looks like a 65 year old with an underlying health problem. He could be here a few days or a few decades, no need to add him to the list.

He looks like a 65 year old with an underlying health problem. He could be here a few days or a few decades, no need to add him to the list.

You are wrong. I've seen this in Africa. He is against all odds.