Death Watch Beatle

Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Congratulations!

Do you have a secret source of information?

yeah I am a time-traveler :P 
Honestly, not really, I am just French and 2 of my 5th deads are French : I advice you to beg on French celebrities. There is a lot of old people who are expected to pass away :/ 

• Thanks 1

I wonder if his most famous hit will chart this weekend...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Quite sad. As far as I know, he was slightly overrated as a scientist (not quite deserving that god-like status), but immensely important in popularizing science (black holes, string theory). As a cultural icon on one level with Muhammad Ali or Madonna.

Aye, so I hear. Although not everyone can be Garibaldi, you need Mazzini's too.

Mrs msc woke me up around 6am to tell me and then I couldn't remember if he was on this years list or not.

A Brief History of Time was a personal favourite of mine.

RIP Prof.

• Like 1

Here’s one obit I don’t have to read; I’ve seen the movie.  Major loss for humanity.  RIP

SC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deathbysnoosnoo said:

I was going to say if you were committed you should have put all 2 quadrillion digits but then noticed it's not even right!

3141.59/1

Bloody shitty bookies always trying to short change the punters

You truly are the anti-Hawking.

• Haha 1

I didn't believe a thing he said. Twisted bastard. 

5 hours ago, stonecold said:

And to die on International Pi Day... what are the odds...365.25 :1

Only if you use the baffling American system of Month/Day/Year.

The proper Pi Day is 22nd July.

My favourite Hawking story is when he appeared on Star Trek: The Next Generation, the only man ever to play himself (well, a holographic simulation). They gave him a tour of the set and as he went through the engine room he said, "I'm working on that..."

• Like 2

...And another one bites the dust! Time to mark him off in my list.

Hawking dies before Tessa and Leah?

Shocking!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sadgirldreaming93 said:

Wow. He's one of the few picks I couldn't seriously imagine dying in 2018-2019.

It was an unfortunate wakeboarding accident that did him in.

Otherwise he'd still be with us until at least 2020

'No More Squawking for Hawking'

I realise that whoever does these can't hit the mark every time but for a man who has been on the point of dying for over 50 years, has written a book called A Brief History of Time,  scientific papers on black holes and was one of the most famous people on the planet this rather weak rhyming effort  presumably relating to his voice seems a bit pathetic and I can't help feeling the great man himself, who seemed to have a sense of humour and an eye for a memorable quote, would be somewhat disappointed.

Needless to say I can't immediately improve on this but I'd like to think the many clever people on here could at least offer something a bit more deserving for consideration.

Unlinked to the above this is my personal favourite of the quotes of his that I have read today.

'I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.'

His quotes will be hard to avoid today I'm sure, but well worth clicking on a link to seek them out, because after today you probably will not have the urge again.

RIP Professor Hawking - a man who managed to live many aspects of the life he would have dreamed of despite an almost complete failure of his physical body. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally out of his brilliant mind.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

'No More Squawking for Hawking'

I realise that whoever does these can't hit the mark every time but for a man who has been on the point of dying for over 50 years, has written a book called A Brief History of Time,  scientific papers on black holes and was one of the most famous people on the planet this rather weak rhyming effort  presumably relating to his voice seems a bit pathetic and I can't help feeling the great man himself, who seemed to have a sense of humour and an eye for a memorable quote, would be somewhat disappointed.

Needless to say I can't immediately improve on this but I'd like to think the many clever people on here could at least offer something a bit more deserving for consideration.

Unlinked to the above this is my personal favourite of the quotes of his that I have read today.

'I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.'

His quotes will be hard to avoid today I'm sure, but well worth clicking on a link to seek them out, because after today you probably will not have the urge again.

RIP Professor Hawking - a man who managed to live many aspects of the life he would have dreamed of despite an almost complete failure of his physical body. 

Agreed, a lackluster obit title...

I would have gone with "Hawking Shuts Down" or "Stephen Experiences Fatal Error" 

Might finally get around to reading his Brief History of Time. Or maybe I will wait another 30 years.  Like most people I know who bought a copy. RIP Mr Hawking. 

2 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Might finally get around to reading his Brief History of Time. Or maybe I will wait another 30 years.  Like most people I know who bought a copy. RIP Mr Hawking. 

Yes one for your bookshelf not your bedside table.

Pi Day or not, as a friend has just pointed out, it's definitely Einstein's birthday!

• Haha 1

I’m a little surprised that he’s dead, but that’s more of the the fact that he lasted so long with ALS. His cultural presence is undeniable, that’s for sure. RIP. :rip:

This is my personal favourite of the quotes of his.

"Humans need to find a new planet to live on within 100 years if it is to survive."

• Like 1

Seeya, you creepy old pervert! I don't care how smart you were supposed to be.

You're just another one of "them" So 

ten a penny average bloke.

** Except for DLers who are all without exception perfect gentleman Even MK in his own way  :huh:

• Angry 1

21 minutes ago, bladan said:

This is my personal favourite of the quotes of his.

"Humans need to find a new planet to live on within 100 years if it is to survive."

That doesn't make sense.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boudicca said:

Seeya, you creepy old pervert! I don't care how smart you were supposed to be.

You're just another one of "them" So 

ten a penny average bloke.

** Except for DLers who are all without exception perfect gentleman Even MK in his own way  :huh:

So a man who helped unlock the secrets of the Universe and who could no have had a normal sex life in other 50 years is condemed as a perv.

Didn't mention his bad treatment at the hands of his female carers either...

Ten a penny solipistic statement....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just wondering how long it will be before his family sticks his wheelchair on ebay.

• Haha 1