People who call me complaining they can't obtain access to a server that I don't administer any support for, and have no clue about why they access it in the first place.

Email conversation from earlier this morning

User: For some reason I do not have access anymore? Please assist

Me: What was your username and also what access did you have?

User: rm0s8z

Me: and what server were you trying to access?

User: Access? Not sure the question

Me: What website do you go to to log in?

User: <gives website address>

Me: That server isn't on our network, I can reach out to the company that governs that server to find out who their administrator is. But can you tell me what information it is that you pull from that server so they can check your user profile?

User: They should know better than I do!

The expression "reach out to" when people mean "contact". It seems to have taken a hold recently. Makes me cringe. What's wrong with contact, speak to, write to, call etc?

Reaching out to somebody suggests to me an unpleasant situation, like trying to rescue somebody who's fallen off a cliff or into a lake, or summat. It can also suggest offering sympathy, like a hug, which presupposes that something unpleasant has happened.

Not picking on you in particular, Phantom, you just reminded me of it. You said: "I can reach out to the company that governs that server to find out who their administrator is."

I would say: "I can ask the company that governs that server who their administrator is."

• Like 1

The expression "reach out to" when people mean "contact". It seems to have taken a hold recently. Makes me cringe. What's wrong with contact, speak to, write to, call etc?

Reaching out to somebody suggests to me an unpleasant situation, like trying to rescue somebody who's fallen off a cliff or into a lake, or summat. It can also suggest offering sympathy, like a hug, which presupposes that something unpleasant has happened.

Not picking on you in particular, Phantom, you just reminded me of it. You said: "I can reach out to the company that governs that server to find out who their administrator is."

I would say: "I can ask the company that governs that server who their administrator is."

I agree.

"Reach out to"? Do you share an office with them?

I agree.

It's an expression I've picked up since I moved to the U.S.

I agree.

It's an expression I've picked up since I moved to the U.S.

It's only in the last year or two that I've been hearing it. No doubt it's been in use for a little longer in the USA.

I got to thinking, if I could go back in time and prevent the birth of anyone, who would I choose; Hitler, Stalin, Mao Tse-tung ?

Adam would be my suggestion.

No, I'm not going to argue whether Adam did or didn't have a navel.

regards,

Hein

Truly a Room 101 and also one of the most bizarre things even I have done, was on on Friday night, when I had to both live up to my username as well as one of my previous avatars on here.

I used to live on an Isle with my then partner, my dog, her dog, cat and a lamb, chickens etc. We were the only humans on it, and after we split up 3 years ago, we both left and it has been uninhabited since then apart from the occasional yachter.

My ex moved 60 miles away and we kept in sporadic touch, and on Friday morning at stoopid o'clock I got a text saying to call her asap re her dog. I 'knew' he was dead.

She was in bits over it, and the only thing holding her together at all, was the objective of getting Tag 'home', and burying him on the Isle.

As I still live in eyeshot of the Isle and have access to boats she asked that I borrow one and help with the burial after work. I loved that big doofus very much so of course I said 'yes'.

An old avatar on here was :

Isola_dei_Morti_IV_(Bocklin).jpg

The Isle does resemble Bocklins view, and I acted as boatman to a hooded lassie with the 'deceased' in a white shroud as we crossed a mirror calm bay after 6 o'clock, utterly surreal.

The grave was bitch to dig, (we hit the rubble of an old wall), Tag was a big dog (@ 8 stone I guess) and so it was about 9 afore we started back, ie it was almost dark.

I am still cut up a bit over it, as he had been a big part of my life for a number of years, but to add to the weirdness, on Thursday night on a wee fitba forum I post on, I had started a thread on the World Sheepdog Trials which I had intended taking my mutt along to watch at Tain for the final dayon Saturday.

In the course of taking pelters for doing this from the other forum members (expected), I put up a picture of my dog. I didn't choose a recent one for some reason, and went back and chose one from my time on the Isle, with her and Tag.

33479_150800724960692_5754538_n.jpg?oh=153edc54a854345a904204a0fe255027&oe=54A74ED2&__gda__=1415529859_b22170913a013a0d720661dff3ccd154

An hour later and Tag was at the vets going under the knife, and was 'put to sleep' by 2 on the Friday morning, all of which I was unaware of until I awoke.

The last thing I had did on the Thursday night was to look at all the photos of the animals until the laptop ran out of juice ie when Tag was at the vets. I hadn't looked at the pics in a year or more.

Really shitty, lots of tears, but utterly bizarre.

I loved that big fla, RIP Tag xx

• Like 3

Aw Charon, that's so sad and so lovely.

I acted as boatman to a hooded lassie with the 'deceased' in a white shroud

Did you get paid?

My commiserations with the loss and my thanks for the story. Loved it.

regards,

Hein

Did you get paid?

My commiserations with the loss and my thanks for the story. Loved it.

regards,

Hein

As it happened, payment was offered.

I gave her a lift back down the road after (she had gotten up with her mum as she only has a bike and a boat licence), kipped on her couch so she could have my doggie for the night, and she tried to give me £.

I declined.

Did you get paid?

As it happened, payment was offered.

I gave her a lift back down the road after (she had gotten up with her mum as she only has a bike and a boat licence), kipped on her couch so she could have my doggie for the night, and she tried to give me £.

I declined.

I understand. Wrong currency.

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

That fucking stupid car advert with that wank-arsed twat mewling along to "A Horse with No Name" by America and tapping on his steering wheel.

Does anyone remember when they used to have adverts that actually made the product seem cool or desirable, or at least refrain from annoying the living piss out of you?

The only desire it leaves me with is the desire to punch every single fucking person involved with the fucking advert, and the car, in their every single conceivable and distinguishable body part.

Just for you...

"A Horse With No Name"

On the first part of the journey

I was looking at all the life

There were plants and birds and rocks and things

There was sand and hills and rings

The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz

And the sky with no clouds

The heat was hot and the ground was dry

But the air was full of sound

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name

It felt good to be out of the rain

In the desert you can remember your name

'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

La, la ...

After two days in the desert sun

My skin began to turn red

After three days in the desert fun

I was looking at a river bed

And the story it told of a river that flowed

Made me sad to think it was dead

You see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name

La, la ...

After nine days I let the horse run free

'Cause the desert had turned to sea

there was sand and hills and rings

The ocean is a desert with it's life underground

And a perfect disguise above

Under the cities lies a heart made of ground

But the humans will give no love

La, la ...

That fucking stupid car advert with that wank-arsed twat mewling along to "A Horse with No Name" by America and tapping on his steering wheel.

Does anyone remember when they used to have adverts that actually made the product seem cool or desirable, or at least refrain from annoying the living piss out of you?

The only desire it leaves me with is the desire to punch every single fucking person involved with the fucking advert, and the car, in their every single conceivable and distinguishable body part.

What sort of car is it?

Just for you...

"A Horse With No Name"

On the first part of the journey

I was looking at all the life

There was sand and hills and rings

The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz

And the sky with no clouds

The heat was hot and the ground was dry

But the air was full of sound

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name

La, la ...

After two days in the desert sun

My skin began to turn red

After three days in the desert fun

I was looking at a river bed

And the story it told of a river that flowed

Made me sad to think it was dead

La, la ...

After nine days I let the horse run free

'Cause the desert had turned to sea

there was sand and hills and rings

The ocean is a desert with it's life underground

And a perfect disguise above

Under the cities lies a heart made of ground

But the humans will give no love

La, la ...

Funny......

btw I actually don't really have much of a problem with the song itself (although it is a little bit corny). Just the lame singalong, probably cos it reminds me of me m'am cos that's her kind of thing, being the daffy old bat she is...

What sort of car is it?

It's a Toyota Yaris or Auris (the advert annoys me so much I never even noticed which car it was, I just know cos I googled it to see if anyone else was as enraged by it.)

It really is horrendous, and to think people complain about the one with the guy dancing in the Oak Furniture Land ad....

This one?

The New Toyota Auris Feeli, apparently. I hadn't seen it before.

Nor me. Haven't seen a TV ad in years.

The 45%, and the pish they are flooding social media with. Just to give an example:

Still grey hearted today as I reflect on the referendum and subsequent events. This was my first ever vote and it was something I felt so passionate about, something I had so much faith in. I had envisioned a future free from Westminster and a prosperous Scotland, a Scotland I would feel proud to be a part of and happy to pay taxes for. I feel like we are the wife of the abusive Westminster Government who is too scared to leave her cruel husband because he has crushed her and left her with insecurities about her ability to take care of herself. I feel like we have been handed an opportunity to show the rest of the world that change is possible and corruption can be overcome and we have thrown it away. I'm incapable at this time of understanding why we would reject the chance to get out and make things better. The scare mongering has worked better than the Tory bastards could ever have hoped for and now because of sheer cowardice we are condemned to be forever trapped under English rule.

I honestly feel as though this is a cause I could dedicate my life to, I've never cared about politics until this campaign started and it has become a part of my heart and I'm just not ready to give up the fight yet.

Fucking chav.

• Like 1

The 45%, and the pish they are flooding social media with. Just to give an example:

Still grey hearted today as I reflect on the referendum and subsequent events. This was my first ever vote and it was something I felt so passionate about, something I had so much faith in. I had envisioned a future free from Westminster and a prosperous Scotland, a Scotland I would feel proud to be a part of and happy to pay taxes for. I feel like we are the wife of the abusive Westminster Government who is too scared to leave her cruel husband because he has crushed her and left her with insecurities about her ability to take care of herself. I feel like we have been handed an opportunity to show the rest of the world that change is possible and corruption can be overcome and we have thrown it away. I'm incapable at this time of understanding why we would reject the chance to get out and make things better. The scare mongering has worked better than the Tory bastards could ever have hoped for and now because of sheer cowardice we are condemned to be forever trapped under English rule.

I honestly feel as though this is a cause I could dedicate my life to, I've never cared about politics until this campaign started and it has become a part of my heart and I'm just not ready to give up the fight yet.

Fucking chav.

:lol:

That was quite an articulate speech, you could almost see Mel Gibson reading that one out, well he would had the text been more, kinda, anti semetic and the content been liberally salted along the lines of "Its all the N-words wogs and coons fault..."

Possibly.....

Tony Blair and his bloody lame assed education policy!

The answer to the elitism of university is not to degrade it so everyone can go and get a worthless degree in something like sports science.

It should be to allow the universities to select the genuinely best candidates and fully fund them.

There are many other ways to allow less academic students to develop but this stupid one size fits all policy is a nightmare.

Gogglebox, when a show that largely consists of ignorant obese chavs, opinionated gobshites and Daily Mail readers watching shit TV programmes wins a BAFTA you know that our society is truly fucked.

• Like 1

My in-laws.

My wife's dad and his wife despite living just 10 minutes away can't be arsed to spend more than an hour every other week with their grandchildren.

Yet each time they come over to the house, they claim how much they missed them. My wife and I always tell them that they could always take them overnight or take them for the whole day at the weekend.