Sign in to follow this  
VileBody

Eric Sykes

I always thought surge knight would be a great brand name for a mans stiffner type product

cannot type the little blue pill word, forum just thinks its SPAM

I always get him confused with Suggs.

• Like 1

Never heard of him and looking at the lackluster response in this thread, including more than a day after he croaked, not many others have either and if they have they don't seem to really care. The annual list would be a little bit better if there were people who were known not only on both sides of the Atlantic but on both sides of the Pacific as well.

Darn shame the little bugger couldn't have held off until next May and been 90.

Oh well here's hoping his family is well remembered in his last will and testament.

Never heard of him and looking at the lackluster response in this thread, including more than a day after he croaked, not many others have either and if they have they don't seem to really care. The annual list would be a little bit better if there were people who were known not only on both sides of the Atlantic but on both sides of the Pacific as well.

Oh well here's hoping his family is well remembered in his last will and testament.

The criteria for inclusion is that someone's death will be covered in the BRITISH media, not the US, Asian or wherever. He more than met the requirements.

Expect he did do right by his family, unless he'd taken advice from Peter Sellers...

Sykes was the UK equivalent of say, Carl Reiner or summat...

He had his own TV show, wrote for other famous British comedians. Made some films, appeared in others, including some drama. I've known about him for years.

Who cares that he doesn't have his own star on Hollywood Boulevard? They can't all be Marlon Brando...

Yeah, I mean, if your death is on the 9 O'Clock news, you're famous. There's no argument about that full stop.

Honestly I've never heard of him besides DeathList circles, but the same can be said for Anna Wing, Nigel Lawson, Ronnie Biggs, Erich Priebke, Patrick MacNee, or even Clive Dunn. That doesn't mean I'm going to demand the DeathList change to fit my American standards. This is a British site with a mainly British userbase, and they can put on whoever they like.

Hell if any American asks who Eric Sykes was I can just say "The old guy Voldemort killed in Harry Potter." and be done with it.

The DL and its posters frequently bring up people I've never heard of. I usually check them out in case its someone I should know, or if they did anything I'd know of. Sometimes, it even leads me onto enjoying a persons work I wouldn't have heard of otherwise.

Some of the American ones lauded as big deaths I needed google to help me find out who they were (Brad Renfro and George Stienbrenner come to mind).

Sykes was a bloody legend, as was anyone who worked with Spike Milligan.

I'd say that being British, we tend to keep things fairly low key.

Mr Sykes was a much loved and respected man in the world of entertainment and his passing has certainly not gone unnoticed. There have been many flatcaps that have been removed in his honour.

• Like 2

I think the difference with Sykes is that although he is on the DL, no-one really wanted to see him being a headline act.

He will be sadly missed by those that knew his work and will never be just a satstistic like some of the other members of the DL.

I think the difference with Sykes is that although he is on the DL, no-one really wanted to see him being a headline act.

He will be sadly missed by those that knew his work and will never be just a satstistic like some of the other members of the DL.

Yeah, there's usually a few people like him that nobody wants to see go outside of the deathlist, and a few people like Brady and (although the response was mixed) Megrahi that people are especially rooting for.

Mr Sykes was a much loved and respected man in the world of entertainment and his passing has certainly not gone unnoticed. There have been many flatcaps that have been removed in his honour.

I couldn't of put it better myself

I couldn't of put it better myself

*Have

• Like 1

Guest jon

well yes there have been alot of briitsh recently dead celebrites that although very well in the UK (Alex Higgins, Michael Foot, Jimmy Savlle, Wendy Richard, Betty Driver, Bobby Robson, Cryal Smith, Laurent Fignon, Diana Wynne Johnes, Tony Hart etc) but struggle being known in the US but then again there have been some very american hits aswell Geroge Stinebrenner and Dick Clark

On a more serious note sykes will be missed, There have been a line of unwelcome hits in recent years Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett, Dennis Hopper, Simon McCorkindale, Ellizibeth Taylor, etc hits that everyone predicted but nbody wanted

Oh no, not dear old Cryal Smith! Wasn't he mayor of Richdole?

• Like 1

well yes there have been alot of briitsh recently dead celebrites that although very well in the UK (Alex Higgins, Michael Foot, Jimmy Savlle, Wendy Richard, Betty Driver, Bobby Robson, Cryal Smith, Laurent Fignon, Diana Wynne Johnes, Tony Hart etc) but struggle being known in the US but then again there have been some very american hits aswell Geroge Stinebrenner and Dick Clark

On a more serious note sykes will be missed, There have been a line of unwelcome hits in recent years Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett, Dennis Hopper, Simon McCorkindale, Ellizibeth Taylor, etc hits that everyone predicted but nbody wanted

They can't have been that well or they'd still be alive : )

:scratchhead:

:scratchhead:

The old TAFKA notaguest logic strikes again

They can't have been that well or they'd still be alive : )

The nature of a list will naturally depend on the people who are compiling it. I agree that there should be a minimum level of fame but that bar can be quite low. If you read the obituaries in a quality newspaper than normally if there are four entries three of them I will not know who they are. However I will read them and learn.

What the Deathlist provides is an opportunity for people with wide and varied experiences to pool their knowledge and predictions and come up with a better model collectively than an individual may acheive on their own.

When I looked at the list for 2012 there were people I did not know such as James Randi but I accept their inclusion.

I keep a database of about 900 celebrity names as DL possibilities but when I show other people the list they say "who is....?".

The area I do struggle with is sportsmen unless they are recognisable making the front page of the paper (Beckham, Kelly Holmes, Chris Hoy, Andy Murray) I am a bit hopeless.

I think this may have gone a bit off topic!

A hit I was sorry to see. He was a comedic genius and will be missed. Let's hope the next hit is someone who deserves it *coughthatchercough*.

A hit I was sorry to see. He was a comedic genius and will be missed. Let's hope the next hit is someone who deserves it *coughthatchercough*.

Be very careful! Last yeat a group of us all joined hands and willed for the Death of Thatch and what happened?.... Janet Brown died!

• Like 1

Lol well a few more holding hands and stronger concentration needed from all participants this year then :P

Guest ANITA Morris

R.I.P ERIC WILL BE MISSED. A VERY FUNNY MAN.

OK, I still dont get the headline - Sykes: With the Lid On. Can someone explain it to me?