Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Josef Newgarden suffered a pretty bad crash in IndyCar today and collapsed after getting out of the car. He has apparently suffered injuries to his right shoulder and right wrist, but thankfully no head injuries.

Beyond a joke now, another death this afternoon in the Senior TT, Andrew Soar. That's five in total, only one short of the record 6 in 1970 I believe.

they should stop races there's obviously a massive safety risk thats endangering their lives. Racing should resume once the problem is fixed.

In 2013, 785 people died in car accidents in the UK. Let's ban cars.

no problems need to be investaged. If they found a serious fault in a certain model of cars then they are required by law to reposse the car until the problems are fixed.

Beyond a joke now, another death this afternoon in the Senior TT, Andrew Soar. That's five in total, only one short of the record 6 in 1970 I believe.

they should stop races there's obviously a massive safety risk thats endangering their lives. Racing should resume once the problem is fixed.

no problems need to be investaged. If they found a serious fault in a certain model of cars then they are required by law to reposse the car until the problems are fixed.

But there are no faults with the bikes. They're not breaking the law, they're all certified safe to ride and the drivers are all physically fit. The only thing that went wrong is they lost control and crashed, which they all knew was a risk going in. I too think too many people die during the TT meeting, but there's no real way to stop it happening. The risk is reasonable, and known going into the event. F1 drivers died or suffered life changing injuries a couple of times a season well into the 80s and no one seriously suggested F1 should be banned.

Completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. Come back when you've given your head a wobble and formulated a coherent and compelling argument. I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

Completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. Come back when you've given your head a wobble and formulated a coherent and compelling argument. I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, and let's look at another fact that - statistically speaking - TT riders are way safer than those attempting to climb the world's highest and most dangerous mountains.

• Like 1

Yes it works out roughly at 0.4% chance of being killed at the TT, 18% chance climbing Everest and 30% climbing K2. Yes it's dangerous but that's what makes it exciting to do!

• Like 1

Yes it works out roughly at 0.4% chance of being killed at the TT, 18% chance climbing Everest and 30% climbing K2. Yes it's dangerous but that's what makes it exciting to do!

Your math is wrong.

Probably is, I'm working the TT deaths out as 1.5 average per year (145 since 1911) and aprox. 400 entrants, though not all are fast enough to qualify they have still taken the same risks.

The figures for the mountains were given to me by Terrance "Banjo" Bannon who has climbed Everest and was almost killed both times he tried to climb K2 (others who were climbing with him were killed) and have taken his word for it. That's why I said roughly as it gives an idea not exact statistics.

Remember 83% of statistics are made up on the spot.............................79% of people know that! ;)

• Like 2

Probably is, I'm working the TT deaths out as 1.5 average per year (145 since 1911) and aprox. 400 entrants, though not all are fast enough to qualify they have still taken the same risks.

The figures for the mountains were given to me by Terrance "Banjo" Bannon who has climbed Everest and was almost killed both times he tried to climb K2 (others who were climbing with him were killed) and have taken his word for it. That's why I said roughly as it gives an idea not exact statistics.

Remember 83% of statistics are made up on the spot.............................79% of people know that! ;)

Double pleasure whammy - decent stats and a welcome sighting of OSP in action

:birthday2:

Yeah, and let's look at another fact that - statistically speaking - TT riders are way safer than those attempting to climb the world's highest and most dangerous mountains.

Some figures quoted here (a few years old) seem to back this up, though its written by a biker so maybe some bias.

I think the record is 9, in 2005

You with your arse sir, only 2 deaths at the TT that year!!!!!!!!!!!! Will people PLEASE stop confusing the Isle of Mann TT and the Manx Grand Prix!!!!!!

• Like 1

You with your arse sir, only 2 deaths at the TT that year!!!!!!!!!!!! Will people PLEASE stop confusing the Isle of Mann TT and the Manx Grand Prix!!!!!!

Yet another reason not to trust wikipedia...

Yet another reason not to trust wikipedia...

Or, rather, a reason to read it more carefully.
  • Like 3

List Updated for Guelfi:

Paul Pietsch b. 1911 d. 2012
Emmanuel de Graffenried b. 1914 d. 2007
Paul Frere b. 1917 d. 2008
Robert Manzon b. 1917 d. 2015
John Fitch b. 1917 d. 2012
Tony Rolt b. 1918 d. 2008
Andre Guelfi b. 1919 d. 2016

Hans Klenk b. 1919 d. 2009

Eric Thompson b. 1919 d. 2015
Andre Simon b. 1920 d. 2012
Tony Crook b. 1920 d. 2014
Tony Gaze DFC AOM b. 1920 d. 2013
Les Leston b. 1920 d. 2012

Kenneth McAlpine OBE b. 1920
Member of McAlpine construction family & Connaught racing. Obitable in broadsheet I think. Frail but still very with it mentally.

Norman Dewis b. 1920
Former Jaguar test driver - Obitable on a standard news day.

Roy Salvadori b. 1922 d. 2012

Leslie Marr Bt. b. 1922
More famous as an artist. Definite obit, of which racing would be a small mention. Was doing well.

Jose Froilan Gonzalez b. 1922 d. 2013
Carroll Shelby b. 1923 d. 2012
Roberto Mieres b. 1924 d. 2012

Maria Teresa de Filippis b. 1926 d 2016
Sir Jack Brabham b. 1926 d. 2014
Phil Hill b. 1927 d. 2008

John Rhodes b. 1927

Obit possible, but unlikely. In failing health since 2010.

Lloyd Ruby b. 1928 d. 2009

Hans Herrmann b. 1928

Obit definite. Generally okay but now largely in wheelchair.

Sir Stirling Moss b.1929
Perhaps the most famous living driver, obit certain. Struggling. Doubt he will make 90. Looks worse each year.

Guy Ligier b. 1930 d. 2015

**Comments updated as per OoO's update 5 July 2016.

Are there really only two drivers alive over 90 now?!

Only on this list, which was provided by OoO in 2006 and which I have been updating. I'm sure there are probably others who can be added in if folk think they are important enough obit wise.

Only on this list, which was provided by OoO in 2006 and which I have been updating. I'm sure there are probably others who can be added in if folk think they are important enough obit wise.

The ones who are 90 now drove at a time when there was a much higher mortality rate in racing.

when your job is sitting in a car all day then I would be amazed if you live to 90

Dunno where OoO's list is but I think Norman Dewis is well over 90 and still alive - former Jaguar test driver and very close at hand when the awful Le Mans accident of 1955 occured. Nowt to do with him, mind.

Wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Dewis

Obitable on a standard news day

Dunno where OoO's list is but I think Norman Dewis is well over 90 and still alive - former Jaguar test driver and very close at hand when the awful Le Mans accident of 1955 occured. Nowt to do with him, mind.

Wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Dewis

Obitable on a standard news day

The original list is here: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/7092-the-chequered-flag/?p=53217

Please note the comments remain those of OoO in that post, and so may have been superseded in the past ten years - they don't represent my current view of the person or their current state of health.

I'll add Norman Dewis in to my post above.

Highly obitable and a mite younger than Ligier but Dan Gurney should probably be in there

Link: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dan+gurney&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=UqR1V_v3BonS8Aft8qHwDA

Form studying recent video (dead pool form, not current driving ability): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9oZ6djVgco

As you know I don't frequent here very often anymore but as I saw this thread pop up on Google after Guelfi's death and subsequent comments, I thought it only fair to post an update.

Firstly, a few others:

Helen Stewart, wife of Sir Jackie, has dementia - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/sir-jackie-stewart-reveals-wife-is-vanishing-from-dementia/

Tony Adamowicz, as you know has brain cancer. The latest is that he is doing better than almost everyone thought, but he's largely bed-bound and hasn't been on social media recently.

Murray Walker - last I saw him, he looked great. But he missed the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year for the first time.

Journalist Nigel Roebuck has just recovered from a heart-attack. Smoked like a chimney before.

As for the elderly drivers etc, an update - the top 20 oldest below, plus selected others over 80 for your perusal:

EDIT - As always I have no idea how to make the below a freaking table. Which is probably why I don't come here very often!

1 McAlpine Kenneth GB 21-Sep-20 Obitable in broadsheet I think. Frail but still very with it mentally.

Oliver Mike GB 13-Feb-21 Ex RAF pilot, founded Connaught. Might sneak broadsheet obit

2 Marr Leslie GB 14-Aug-22 Artist, should get obit for that and his nobility. Was doing well

Weyant Chuck USA 03-Apr-23 Oldest Indy driver. US obit definite. Still doing well.

Tauranac Ron AUS 13-Jan-25 Legendary Brabham designer. Doing okay.

3 da Silva Ramos Hermano F/BR 07-Dec-25 Only other GP driver over 90. Obit doubtful.

4 Rhodes John GB 18-Aug-27 Obit possible, but unlikely. In failing health since 2010.

McElreath Jim USA 18-Feb-28 Indy legend. US obit definite. In failing health

5 Herrmann Hans D 23-Feb-28 Obit definite. Generally okay but now largely in wheelchair.

Colani Luigi CH 02-Aug-28 Designer and artist. One-off GP car designer. Obit possible

Broadley Eric GB 22-Sep-28 Lola founder. Obit definite. No health news

6 Milhoux Andre B 09-Dec-28 No chance of obit. Doing okay

7 Stewart Ian GB 15-Jul-29 In poor, but stable health. Still mentally active. Obit? Unlikely

8 Barber John GB 22-Jul-29 Doubtful he is alive, but nothing to prove death..

9 Moss Sir Stirling GB 17-Sep-29 Struggling. Doubt he will make 90. Looks worse each year.

10 Campbell-Jones John GB 21-Jan-30 Doing ok but frailer each time I see him. Obit unlikely

Haas Carl USA 26-Feb-30 Has dementia. US obit definitely, UK possible

Ecclestone Bernie GB 28-Oct-30 Still doing fine. Obit definite.

11 Piper David GB 02-Dec-30 Obit definite. Overweight and smokes heavily, but active

12 Gurney Dan USA 13-Apr-31 Definitely frailer, but he is still going to work every day

Johnson Junior USA 28-Jun-31 NASCAR legend. Us obit definitely. Ok but overweight

13 Brooks Tony GB 25-Feb-32 Sadly, he's really frail. Mind sharp as tack but no more public visits

14 Gamble Fred USA 17-Mar-32 Obit - no chance

15 Parnell Tim GB 25-Jun-32 Definitely won't make 90. Looked really frail when seen in 2014.

16 Soler-Roig Alex E 29-Oct-32 No health news, no chance of obit

17 Starrabba Gaetano I 03-Dec-32 Ditto Soler-Roig

18 Vaccarella Nino I 04-Mar-33 Italian racing legend, obit possible. Seems okay.

19 Bondurant Bob USA 27-Apr-33 Obit possible. Less active than before but seems okay

Jones Parnelli USA 12-Aug-33 US legend, obit in US definite. Doing fine.

20 Cabral Mario Araujo de P 15-Jan-34 In poor health. Very unlikely indeed to get obit

Surtees John GB 11-Feb-34 Still driving at events, suspect he's okay for a few years

Foyt AJ USA 16-Jan-35 Grossly overweight but still active.

• Like 9

Good to hear from you, OoO.