Guest iain

Tariq Aziz

Aziz takes the stand in defense of Saddam

(didn't ask him to do the Hokey Pokey though)

or is it the Hokey Cokey?

Depends on location...until 2 minutes ago (with help from a google search), I'd never heard of Hokey Cokey. Apparently, here in the States, it's Hokey Pokey and on your side of the pond, it's Hokey Cokey.

There's my new thing learned for the day...I can go home now and veg out.

In these here parts, Hokey Pokey's a tasty ice cream.

But hokey pokey is made by adding toffee to vanilla ice cream.

Very nice, if you like that sort of thing.

We do however, do the 'Hokey Tokey'. I once put a tray on my desk underneath my 'in' & 'out' trays labelled 'shake it all about', but sadly some glum bastard took it off.

You puit your right foot in you put your right foot out you put your right foot in and you shake it all about you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself about that's what it's all about

an allternative ending saays something about a Saturday night. We used to have that as part of gym class back in the old days. along wiht some weird thing involving snapping fingers and vines growing and covering walls. I was hanging from a coat hook on the side though so I may be confused.

As to Mikey, I knew he'd showe up and help out old Sads at his trial. I would still love to see the two of them together dancing a Tango or somehting . who would hold the rose in therir teeth?

I'm a bit behind the rest on yers in this thread but.....he looks terrible but still strong enough to last into 2007, one to watch for sure.

Swnd a pictuer of him to me if tyouy still havetr one

Tariq Aziz - thread somewhere hereabouts - was ill and receiving medication to stabilise a heart problem and stress. Heard nowt in months and he's incarcerated. Since he's amongst the most reasonable of the regime and - therefore - likely to have talked to Americans and British and remembered loads of embarrasing details it's doubtful if it's in any allied interests for him to - like - get much better.

I'm having him in 2007.....if he makes it.

Nowt doing in months for the man, when the BBC suggested heart trouble in January the phrase 'several slight strokes' appeared in other news reports. Either way, the silence suggests he's getting no better. This man needs medical help to stay alive and his low profile suggests his captors might not want him to appear in public and/or appear too lucid when he does. Since Saddam was a conspicious figure Tariq did a lot of the travelling and was more aware than most of the cabinet of deals, offers and negotiations. If he got really well he might say things to the press about arms deals and the rest back when the big enemy was Iran and Reagan and Thatcher thought Iraq was okay.

Guest Guest_iain_*

dont bet o it mate-hes got Ronnie Biggitis-he wil probabkly be 'seriously ill' for along time to come.But he still wont get ouot of jail the lyimng old bugger!

If we're to trust the BBC/ CNN etc Aziz suffers from the sort of problems that can kill. If those looking after him are - ahem - sparing in their medical care because they want to keep him confused the toll on his body, long term, could be telling. In other words, he probably won't die today but it's debateable whether he'll see 2008. I think Biggs' case is different. To all intents and purposes he's in NHS care and his carers will doubtless be doing the best they can.

Just a thought, like. Saddam's trial is going nowhere fast, there's arguments about the legitimacy of the court and that. S'pose the allies have a word with Tariq and say; 'We'll swap yers, safe passage out with yer family and all the medical treatment you want for a few hours of you in court tellin' it like it was and shutting up about some old arms deals....'

What would Aziz do?

I did some digging around because of the sheer lack of news articles that were about Tariq and this was the latest I could really find.

It's dated from July 26th

Saddam Henchman Tariq Aziz Crying the Blues to US Supreme Court

by Jim Kouri, CPP

Former Iraqi foreign minister Tariq Aziz has retained a US attorney, Giovanni Di Stefano, who has made an application to the United States Supreme Court and stated that he "places the US on notice of a Habeas Corpus Application to the United States Supreme Court."

A Writ of Habeas Corpus is a judicial mandate to a prison official ordering that an inmate be brought to the court so that the petitioner's case may be heard.

Di Stefano said the question presented to the United States Supreme Court will be: "Is the turning over of Petitioner Tariq Aziz to an authority that may reasonably be expected to violate his rights to a fair trial, due process of law, and his right to life in accordance with the law?"

In essence, Di Stefano is questioning the legitimacy of the Iraqi war crimes trials for its former dictator Saddam Hussein and key officials of his brutal government.

The United States Supreme Court has the jurisdiction to hear urgent cases and Aziz's US attorney claims he would be filing with the US Supreme Court shortly.

In a letter sent to Mr. Di Stefano by Tariq Aziz’s Iraqi lawyer Badie Izzat, the letter claims that Tariq Aziz has been on hunger strike for over ten days and "demands to be granted his basic rights, which are provided for him by Iraqi and international law."

Mr. Di Stefano confirmed he called upon the American Bar Association and the International Bar Association for support as it did in the case involving Guantanamo detainees.

Tariq Aziz was the voice of the Saddam Hussein regime as its long-time foreign minister. He began to rise through the ranks of Iraqi politics after the Baath Party came to power in 1968. He later served as a member of the Regional Command, and in 1977 became a ranking official with Saddam's Revolutionary Command Council.

In 1979, Aziz was named Deputy Prime Minister of Iraq, where his primary role was to act as a diplomat and to explain Iraq's policies to the world. In 1980, during Iraq's war with Iran he survived an Iranian-backed assassination attempt. When Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, Tariq Aziz served as the international spokesman in support of the military action, saying the move was justified because Kuwait's increased oil production was dampening Iraqi oil revenues. He has condemned Arab states for their subservience to the United States.

Aziz served as an official for a government that routinely killed, maimed and tortured its own citizens. Observers believe that the comparison of Aziz to terrorist "foot soldiers" and "true believers" being held at Guantanamo Bay is akin to comparing apples and oranges. Aziz was part of the Saddam coverup of mass murder, weapons of mass destruction programs, and several legal scholars believe he will be denied his day before the US Supreme Court, or they may hear the case and rule against him.

But that analysis may be in error, considering recent Supreme Court rulings that appear to disregard black letter law such as the Geneva Conventions. The justices on the SCOTUS have extended the right to counsel to terrorists and illegal combatants and it extended the protections of the Geneva Conventions in violation of provisions that stipulate the captured persons must be wearing uniforms or insignia that are visible from reasonable distances; they must be part of a nation-state's military or paramilitary; and they must bear arms openly, not concealed. Yet the court ruled otherwise.

So it's not inconceivable that the justices -- especially the liberal-left ones -- will hear Aziz's case and even rule in his favor.

Good work Phantom, if he Aziz day (heh heh), in a US court he could name some names that'd prove embarrassing. I take all of the above points about his links to the party but he's interesting and kind of unique on two counts, first off his length of service considering he's not a blood relative of Saddam and secondly the go-between role he played between their obnoxious excuse for a regime and the less presentable elements of western powers.

First, James Baker told one of Saddam Hussein's lawyers that Tariq Aziz, former deputy prime minister, would be released from detention by the end of this year, in hope that he will negotiate with the US on behalf of the Baath Party leadership. The discussion recently took place in Amman, according to the Iraqi paper al-Quds al-Arabi.

Hmmmmm

Might be his life is in less danger in jail.

One to watch, still.

Rumor has it that soon if not before then that Mike...er.....I mean Tariq may well soon be fundamentally released although not necessarily as a fundamentalist. Born and trained as a Catholic, hanging people is against what Tariq beleves in. Anyway the thing is, his health is failing and there are news bits mentioning at various intervals that he may be freed from prison for that reason.

Well, the other point here is that Tariq Aziz....would like to speak up on Saddam Husseins behalf prior to the day of slaughter.

AMMAN: Former Iraqi deputy premier Tariq Aziz wants urgently to testify in the genocide trial of Saddam Hussein before the toppled dictator is executed.

"Aziz has told me he has very important information that he wishes to explain to the world," lawyer Badih Aref Ezzat said yesterday.

"This information will cause as much embarrassment inside the country as outside," he added.

Saddam, due to be hanged within 30 days, said in a letter released yesterday that his execution should be seen as a sacrifice for the nation and called on Iraqis to unite and fight US forces in the country. His Baath Party threatened to retaliate if he is executed.

His defence team said Saddam had dictated it shortly after he was sentenced to death in November for crimes against humanity.

Well, he's saying nowt prior to the day of slaughter now, is he? Then again, the UN might like what he has to say. Like I said months back, Aziz has the inside track on what was said between Reagan, Thatcher and Saddam way back. No pun intended but.....he knows where some of the bodies are buried. He's also no threat to anyone. Let him go, once he has to queue in the chemists for his medicine like everyone else there'll be deadpools cashing in pretty quick.

Well, he's been back in court again.

This article has a recent picture of him and he certainly looks worse than he used to see this article.

But it's difficult to say how ill he is, cos obviously he would look older/thinner from his heyday 'cos there's a difference betwwen prison food & ambassadorial food. Still, it's one to keep an eye on from natural causes rather than hanging.

Meanwhile this article suggests Barzan was murdered first, then hung

Cheers OoO; the one constant where Aziz is concerned is the way the predictions and statements of others prove to be worthless in the end, soon to be released etc etc.

Likely to frustrate the best deadlpickers I'd say.

Guest Guest

My money says Tariq Aziz will survive the remainder of the year without death and the remainder of life without an actual trial.

My money says Tariq Aziz will survive the remainder of the year without death and the remainder of life without an actual trial.

I have deleted my response

he should be dangling from the end of a rope like his former colleagues :P

Tariq Aziz is now out of intensive care. But the good news is that he is going on hunger strike

His son says:

"I would like to stress to the entire world via the Al-Arabiyah channel that my father's health is deteriorating, and any reports contradicting this, be they from the so-called Iraqi government or the occupation forces, are not true,"

Tariq Aziz is now out of intensive care. But the good news is that he is going on hunger strike

His son says:

"I would like to stress to the entire world via the Al-Arabiyah channel that my father's health is deteriorating, and any reports contradicting this, be they from the so-called Iraqi government or the occupation forces, are not true,"

That sounds like a "He's ill so you should let him out" kind of report.

Not convinced...