maryportfuncity

Deadio Times

For the busy DL'er facing too many choices in too little time, this is the thread to provide advance warning of media coverage of those we might like to 'research.'

Studs Terkel - 94 year old author, still chucking them out - is on The Culture Show, BBC2, next Saturday, repeated Sunday.

• Like 1

For the busy DL'er facing too many choices in too little time, this is the thread to provide advance warning of media coverage of those we might like to 'research.'

Studs Terkel - 94 year old author, still chucking them out - is on The Culture Show, BBC2, next Saturday, repeated Sunday.

He was on the Daily Show recentely, looking healthier than Jon Stewart. Had him on my list for 2007, saw that, put him on my list for 2012. :lol:

• Like 1

He was on the Daily Show recentely, looking healthier than Jon Stewart. Had him on my list for 2007, saw that, put him on my list for 2012. <_<

Why is Jon Stewart on your list? He's not that old....

Was that Marguerite Patten I saw on some war time cookery thing on BBC2? I was thinking of her for next year but she was looking well for her age

Was that Marguerite Patten I saw on some war time cookery thing on BBC2? I was thinking of her for next year but she was looking well for her age

Yep. Some programme about bananas. She looked fine for her age.

• Like 1

ITV are showing a documentary about the skydiver who died when his chute straps were cut tomorrow - Monday - at 9-00. IIRC the official verdict was 'open' i.e. not enough evidence and the police on the basis of some DNA evidence on a pair of scissors reckoned suicide. I think his parents and girlfriend turn up in the documentary. Might be interesting, even though it is ITV.

ITV has dumbed down so much of late this counts as serious telly by their standards. Then again, when the news is desperately depressing I find watching it on ITV makes it seem less so.

ITV has dumbed down so much of late this counts as serious telly by their standards. Then again, when the news is desperately depressing I find watching it on ITV makes it seem less so.

ITV dumbed down? You must be joking.

This station brings us delights such as 'Celebrity Love Island' and 'I'm a celebrity'...

Not a bad documentary, no bloody idea whether he was murdered or topped himself.

There's a laugh a minute jobbie on BBC 4 tonight about Bi-polar disorder, i.e. the thing most people still call manic depression. Might check that out.

I once had this great idea for a cartoon strip based on a character called Bi-Polar Bear, he spent the first couple of frames ripping the tops off igloos and biting the heads off eskimos before collapsing on the ice in floods of tears and wondering what it was all for.

Can't understand why it got rejected everywhere.

There was a programme last night on Channel 4 about sleepwalking. Some bloke in America drove 14 miles and bludgeoned his mother-in-law to death .... while he was asleep!

Channel 4, 11-05 tonight has a programme exploring how far comedy can go regarding bad taste. Doubtless it'll be a documentary veneer allowing them the excuse to show stuff that'd offend those of a gentle disposition. If you like Deathlist........

• Like 1

9-00 PM tomorrow (Monday) Channel 4 have a one hour documentary on the worlds oldest people and the increasing numbers making a ton. Essential viewing, I reckon.

OoO posting on the George Melly thread, for those that missed the post:

On November 7th, at 9pm, on BBC4, there will be a programme on George Melly's final weeks. More Here

Although concentrating on dementia, and what sufferers go through (and if this makes people understand more about it, then excellent, as I feel a wider audience should generally appreciate more about it & how it affects people's lives), it will, of course, feature heavily on the star that was George.

Considering how good, thought-provoking & sobering the Ross Davidson documentary was, post-death, I will certainly tune in for this one.

Channel 5, Wednesday Apr 1st 9-10, a whole hour dedicated to Mega Mexican Manuel Uribe 'The World's Heaviest Man.'

I'm laying in the biscuits and hot chocolate with whipped cream to watch that one.

Channel 5, Wednesday Apr 1st 9-10, a whole hour dedicated to Mega Mexican Manuel Uribe 'The World's Heaviest Man.'

I'm laying in the biscuits and hot chocolate with whipped cream to watch that one.

Aiya! If you are laying in the biscuits and hot chocloate, won't that hurt??? I cannot think of a biscuit which would not hurt if you lay in it, even if there is a lot of whipped cream! If I had to lay in some biscuits, I'd choose maybe "digestives"; they might be at least good to "exfoilate" the skin ;)

• Like 1

This may be the wrong thread, but I am damned if I know what the right one is:

Would this appeal to anyone?

http://www.beonscreen.com/uk/user/show_det...D=2397&in=e

Are you interested in Death? Got a strange tale?

This spring death stalks the corridors of ITV as the Creator of the The Rocky Horror Show and Crystal Maze star Richard O’Brien looks for people to take part in a new series taking a sideways look at death!

Are you planning an unusual funeral? Have you written a bizarre will or been left anything odd yourself?

Do you have an unusual death related job?

Are you a collector of strange death paraphanalia?

Are you from or prepared to travel to the South West to tell your story?

If so Richard wants to hear from you. From the unusual to the unique, the innovative to the downright strange, Richard will leave no coffin lid unturned in his exploration of the one thing guarenteed to come to us all ...

"Richard O'Briens Dead Strange" starts filming immediately so apply soon ... before its too late!

Login/Register to apply to Are you interested in Death? Got a strange tale? through the site

If it weren't for the South West travel, I might have done something along DDP lines, but I haven't really the time right now, sadly. But DDT IS in the South-West...............

The combination of Richard O'Brien and death makes it very appealing to me. Pity I live so far out of the way

• Haha 1

Must see on Jan 5th, Channel 4, Cutting Edge show 'Saving Gazza.' Harrowing documentary following his ex-wife and family attempting a reconciliation earlier this year. Said to show close up the fragmented state of his mind and body, or summat.

I'm picking the final two DDP places from about 4 candidates and currently favouring his inclusion on the grounds that he genuinely is that far gone and may well have less than 12 months to live.

• Like 1

It's about time BBC Four had a 'Death Week'. I'll subtly suggest it next time I speak with the schedulers.

And lo, it did come to pass. Actually, it's only 'Death Night' - Sept 30th, 8 hours of death-related programming, including this.

First Cut on Channel Four this coming Friday - 4th - at 7.30 is running a programme on people who are terminally ill. Bearing in mind the Cancer Diaries a few years back this could rocket one or two of the participants to a level of fame garnering them fleeting tabloid mentions when they go.

Only just saw this thread for the first time.

Very good idea.

Will post any potential 'listers in advance of T.V. appearences from now on.

p.s. would it be appropriate to post any recent youtube clips on this thread too?

would it be appropriate to post any recent youtube clips on this thread too?

Great idea.

Tissues: check

Vaseline: check

Top telly tonight!: check

My form tutor always said I would come to grief!

For those as likes that sort of thing (and I seem to remember he had a few fans around here), BBC4 will be showing American: The Bill Hicks Story at 9pm on April 17th. I don't think there are too many pointers to be gleaned though; got a sneaky feeling he's already dead.

Edit: postponed, for rights reasons I guess.

Edited by harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

First Cut on Channel Four this coming Friday - 4th - at 7.30 is running a programme on people who are terminally ill. Bearing in mind the Cancer Diaries a few years back this could rocket one or two of the participants to a level of fame garnering them fleeting tabloid mentions when they go.

Ah but don't DL rules stipulate that a person cannot be included if they are famous solely because they are about to die?

• Like 1