football_fan

Dead Drummers

Johnny Jackson former drummer for the Jackson 5 has been found stabbed to death

[Moved from the Near Misses for 2006 thread - ff]

• Like 1

Hmmm... the article says it's unclear if he's related to the Jacksons... that would make for some interesting news if he was...

Guest iain

anubis is that pic John Prescott throwing a tantrum again? :o

Aha, another dead drummer.

There may be some reason why so many drummers are dropping dead.

The intense sound of the beat may cause heart problems or even cancer?

Our o so brilliant scientists have discovered so far that it makes you go deaf.. :o

Aha, another dead drummer.

There may be some reason why so many drummers are dropping dead.

The intense sound of the beat may cause heart problems or even cancer?

Our o so brilliant scientists have discovered so far that it makes you go deaf.. :evil:

maybe they all played for "spinal tap". :)

Wonder Stuff drummer Martin Gilks dies at age 41.
Never heard of him before, but who cares. Another one, and quite young too!

regards,

Hein

who cares? he probably did... although, he's drummer, and probably hasn't noticed yet.

incidentally, the wonder stuff's bassist died a few years back. two down...

Do percussionists count as drummers? :

Don Alias

... Never heard of him, but maybe he was known by another name :D

Do percussionists count as drummers?

We had a nice discussion about this on the Deadlypool Forums and I believe the consensus was no, not all percussionists are drummers (think triangle players).

Perhaps though, I think the thread could be changed to dead percussionists, for simplicity. :pop:

Wonder Stuff drummer Martin Gilks dies at age 41.
Never heard of him before, but who cares. Another one, and quite young too!

regards,

Hein

Drummers die left and right as there hearts stop the beat.

Sometimes I feel my heart stops and doesn't beat.

Ed Cassiday must be knocking on a bit now. He was the stepfather of Randy California and drummer in his band Spirit. I seem to remember reading that Cassiday was already nearly 50 when he joined the band and might have been a bit old to be mixing with all those summer of love flower children.

He must be at least 80 and I haven't heard much about him recently. Damned fine drummer though.

One drummer to keep an eye on in the years to come would be Levon Helm, drummer and vocalist for The Band also the original drummer from back when they were known as The Hawks and were the backing band for Ronnie Hawkins.

He was diagnosed with throat cancer a few years ago, but operations were successfull and he's back drumming and touring with The Band.

Two members of The Band are already dead, Richard Manuel commited suicide on March 4th 1986 and Rick Danko died in his sleep on December 10th 1999

Can he still sing after the operations?

Can he still sing after the operations?

according to the website for The Band he's still their lead singer.

Just to elaborate: "worked with George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Stephen Stills but is best known as The Knack's original drummer on "My Sharona" "

I notice that the post mentions (in relation to lead singer Doug Fieger) that "On Aug. 3, Fieger underwent successful brain surgery... and he's now recovering at home". Not a good month for those Knack boys!

I always recall Mark Lamarr's comment on "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" about the music press at the time saying something like "The Knack - are they the new Beatles?". "Is there a band around today called 'The Bootleg Knack'?"

As I was browsing the RDP site, I noticed that a few days ago drummer Pip Pyle died. Never heard of him myself, anyone else?

Here's his Independent obit.

Edited by Tempus Fugit

Absolutely... the Hatfields and the Health were two very idiosyncratic bands that combined jazz and rock voicings witout being 'jazz-rock' in its generic sense. Pip Pyle had a unique style tha kind of rolled around the beat, with some very odd accents that shouldn't have worked, but did. He also wrote many of Hatfield's wry and witty lyrics, and on the second Health album ('Of Queues And Cures') wrote 'Phlakaton', possibly the first drum solo written for voices (...). He worked with Phil Miller for most of his career (In Cahoots being in some ways a continuation of the jazzier sides of National Health), and I remember reading a Dave Stewart note for a Health reissue wher he talked of meeting Miller and Pyle for the first time, auditioning for the hatfields. It went something like: 'Phil Miller said "You're in". Pip Pyle said "I don't think so, actually", whereupon they went in the kitchen an argued furiously for fifteen minutes, coming to blows. I later learned that it had been this way since they had first met each other aged five, in the same village, and had argued over a toy.'

Bye, Pip - I'm sorry I'll never see you behind the kit again.

Ever so slightly off topic, but there's a good piece in The Independent today about dead rock stars. Drummers are mentioned. Unplugged: Rock's dead heroes.

Talking of great rock and roll deaths reminds me of Jeff Porcaro, drummer with Toto. Died a few years back at 38 while gardening, evidently had an allergic reaction to a pesticide. Some may argue that the pesticide was merely doing what it was meant for.

Twelvetrees, that's a hatchet man post if ever I saw one!

Re Pip Pyle - yeah, I second the above comment. Incidentally, also on the Canterbury percussion theme the current lack of activity from Caravan is largely down to the poor health of drummer Richard Coughlin. The band have committed to play in November at what may be their final gig. Their official web site went down last week. When it was last up there was no detail on who'd be onstage for that November gig.

• Like 1