The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Following on from a comment made a while ago in the "Near Misses" thread, here's a list that might be worth a thought or two when selection time comes round again - and before anyone asks, I'd heard of all of them!

Still Batting

And before anyone mentions it, I know that Mushtaq Ali has died but the list is from June 7th - it does get updated regularly though!

• Like 1

Guest IYG
Following on from a comment made a while ago in the "Near Misses" thread, here's a list that might be worth a thought or two when selection time comes round again - and before anyone asks, I'd heard of all of them!

Still Batting

Problem is that no one in the US has ever heard of Cricket players just like most people around the world haven't heard of baseball players.

Still Batting

Problem is that no one in the US has ever heard of Cricket players just like most people around the world haven't heard of baseball players.

You see - the US hasn't heard compared to the World hasn't heard - who says America has a problem with self importance! :(

• Like 2

Honestly, be you American, Aussie, Brit, Kiwi, Saffer, Indian, etc., has anyone actually heard of any of these old duffers?

• Like 1

Er, me - does that count? Bill Brown was one of the Invincibles of 1948, as was Bill Johnston, Neil Hawke and Sam Loxton. They're quite famous in Oz, as Honez may testify.......

• Like 1

Suppose we set up an alternative DL next year and pitted 50 of this lot against the traditional celebs. It'd be a long, tense drawn out affair with the hanging possibility of a dead heat after an interminable struggle - just like cricket really.

• Like 1

Guest IYG
Suppose we set up an alternative DL next year and pitted 50 of this lot against the traditional celebs. It'd be a long, tense drawn out affair with the hanging possibility of a dead heat after an interminable struggle - just like cricket really.

Or we can bore people to death which is similar to cricket and baseball. :(

Alec Bedser and Trevor Bailey are probably the best known English players on that list - they were stars of the early 1950s when England were the best side in the world - but many of them are pretty obscure even to cricket fans. Norman Mitchell-Innes, for example, only played in one test match.

But I'm glad to see that the Four Horsemen and I have a common interest.

Walter Hadlee sired the great Richard who acheived marvellous feets, the rest are but names from Shane Warne/Brian Lara Cricket classic matches.

I've no idea who said it but my favourite cricket quote goes along the lines of "The English, not being a spiritual people, invented Cricket to gain a sense of eternity", or somesuch.

Didn't Bedser and Bailey play post-Bradman Australia featuring young Richie Benaud?

Super stuff that.

Er, me - does that count? Bill Brown was one of the Invincibles of 1948, as was Bill Johnston, Neil Hawke and Sam Loxton. They're quite famous in Oz, as Honez may testify.......

Probably.

Cricket's just not my scene.

Even though they are about to thump England in the ashes.

Well if nothing else we've established that there are 2 intelligent people on this forum who appreciate cricket.........

• Like 1

intelligent people on this forum who appreciate cricket.

I'm not one of them.

I leave it as an exercise to the reader to deduce why. :blink:

regards,

Hein

Most of the list would get Broadsheet obits, dead cricketers usually do; however, it's only really Alec Bedser of the real old boys who would get any major coverage.

Although both he and his twin brother Eric seem to be in good health

Or we can bore people to death which is similar to cricket and baseball. :rip:

I have to disagree with you about cricket being a boring sport. There is nothing like watching a good innings at a live venue played by any of the following world-class batsmen; especially when they scored a century: :blink:

Brian Lara (West Indies), Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka), Sachin Tendukar (India), Marc Waugh (Australia), Steve Waugh (Australia), Vivian Richards (West Indies), Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)

Guest IYG

Or we can bore people to death which is similar to cricket and baseball. :rip:

I have to disagree with you about cricket being a boring sport. There is nothing like watching a good innings at a live venue played by any of the following world-class batsmen; especially when they scored a century: :blink:

Brian Lara (West Indies), Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka), Sachin Tendukar (India), Marc Waugh (Australia), Steve Waugh (Australia), Vivian Richards (West Indies), Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)

Sadly, cricket is one of the games where I don't know all the rules yet. Most of what I know comes from here: Slime Cricket

No idea who those players are and why would I spend 4-5 hours or however long a cricket or baseball game last. I can watch a movie or two in that time. :rip:

You get the opportunity to sit in the sun, drink some beer and heckle Aussies at a cricket match - what greater pleasure could there be??

You get the opportunity to sit in the sun, drink some beer and heckle Aussies at a cricket match - what greater pleasure could there be??

Had exactly that chance on Sunday. Lord's on a beautiful day, packed stands, England standing up to the Aussies so far this summer. And you know what, once England were reduced to 30 odd for 4, despite some heroics from Flintoff, the game was pretty much over as a contest, and the crowd was bored silly by 1 p.m. Plus, £9 Pimm's (they advertised jugs for £18, but then ran out of jugs, so you could only buy pints. I think that might be illegal....) might be some sort of a record for biggest drinks rip-off ever.

Give me the blood and thunder of Spurs-Man City over any type of cricket, any day.

Guest IYG

I'm very light skinned so the sun will give me cancer. I like beer but I know my limit so I don't drink much and I'm underage over here. I'd go for the Aussie heckling though. :blink:

intelligent people on this forum who appreciate cricket.

I'm not one of them.

I leave it as an exercise to the reader to deduce why. :)

regards,

Hein

Hein, did you know the Dutch have just qualified for the 2007 Cricket World Cup? They are officially one of the best 16 national sides.

But do you know why, in a sporting context, it's usually "Holland" rather than "Netherlands?" Ask anyone what country Johann Cruyff played for, and they'll reply "Holland."

Hein, did you know the Dutch have just qualified for the 2007 Cricket World Cup? They are officially one of the best 16 national sides.

That's news to me. I seem to remember they were in the Cricket World Cup before, in South-Africa IIRC, and were thoroughly thrashed by the big boys.

But do you know why, in a sporting context, it's usually "Holland" rather than "Netherlands?" Ask anyone what country Johann Cruyff played for, and they'll reply "Holland."

It's tradional. Most English speakers use Holland rather than the formal name, especially in casual talk. Strictly speaking Holland is the name of the two north-western provinces, but since ancient times that's where the most people live, the most money is made and where power is concentrated. Inhabitants of the other ten provinces strongly prefer Netherlands, mostly so the ones of Fryslân.

I live in the province of Zuid-Holland. I use Netherlands as a tribute to those unfortunate Dutchmen who don't.

Johann Cruyff is, of course, the closest thing we have to a saint. :angel4:

regards,

Hein

I'd noticed in the past that Dutch football fans tend to refer to the national team as Holland. I don't know why and I sense it probably isn't a good idea telling a Dutchman what his country's called so I won't.

(Magere Hein Posted on Jul 13 2005, 03:20 PM) I live in the province of Zuid-Holland. I use Netherlands as a tribute to those unfortunate Dutchmen who don't.

I know people who live in Wassenaar, or however you spell it, can't be bothered looking in the adress book to find out the actual spelling, lazzy, yes i know.

I know people who live in Wassenaar, or however you spell it, can't be bothered looking in the adress book to find out the actual spelling, lazzy, yes i know.

Ooh, posh!

Your spelling of Wassenaar is fine, BTW.

regards,

Hein

Ooh, posh!

Your spelling of Wassenaar is fine, BTW.

regards,

Hein

Posh?, I wouldn't know, you see they have a habbit of staying with me when they come over but if i go over to NL they are away on holiday.............. yes i know what your thinking. Known them for years and years and years and not one invite to their house :angel4: !!!!!! But they stay at mine quite often. Yes they are dutch, hence my intrest in certain Dutch things that i have spoken about with you Hein.

Posh?, I wouldn't know,

Wassenaar has the highest number of millionaires per capita of all Dutch municipalities.

That, and a communist. :angel4:

regards,

Hein

• Like 1