JR976evil

Journalists

There are quite a few hacks out there not much longer for this world, many still writing regularly.

Sir Peregrine Worsthorne (b. 1923) former editor of the Sunday Telegraph, still contributes the odd column here and there to various publications I believe.

US film critic Roger Ebert (b. 1942) famed for his thumbs/up down criteria along with the late Gene Siskel, has had extensive treatment for thyroid cancer over the past few years including large sections of his jaw removed can now no longer speak as a result, though he continues to write regular film reviews and is a prolific Tweeter. Has said he will not undergo any further treatment if the cancer comes back, definitely one to bear in mind for the 2012 list I reckon. Plenty of potential for puns too - "Ebert Gets Two Thumbs Down" "Last Picture Show For Ebert" "Movie Fades to Black" "Roger, Over and Out" or how about "Hopefully Not A Thumbs Down at The Pearly Gates" deserving of his own thread really.

Derek Jameson (b. 1929), former Mirror editor went on to become Radio 2 DJ and prolific TV presenter and personality, spotted recently on BBC2's The Young Ones (no, not that one).

That's just for starters really, must be many others I haven't thought of, what do people think?

• Like 1

I think you have started with fire in your dead pooling belly JR976evil, keep 'em comin.

Re the journos, a surprisingly large number of the ground-breaking American 'New Journalists' - Tom Wolfe, Gay Talese etc, still breathe and remain highly obit worthy.

• Like 1

US news veteran Dan Rather turns 80 this year, no longer broadcasting but regularly bemoaning the state of modern journalism.

Kenneth Kendall, aged 86 now retired, also seen recently on the Young Ones.

Though he may be more associated now with Ask the Family and other quiz shows, Robert Robinson was a noted journalist and is one worth watching at 83.

One-time ITN anchor Alistair Burnett, now aged 82, at the point where will he likely only make the news on his passing.

Brian Sewell, 80 in July.

Brian Walden, 78.

• Like 2

Former 60 Minutes anchor Mike Wallace (b. 1918) retired 2008 said to be in poor health, has suffered from clinical depression...

• Like 1

While researching General Giap (who'll turn 100 this summer, at my disadvantage) on the web I ran into an article by historian and journalist Stanley Karnow.

StanleyKarnow.jpg

At 86, he's getting on considerably. As a Pulitzer Prize winner and a journo himself he may well get a UK obit. It seems he stays under deadpoolers' radar. May well be worth a punt in 2012.

Edit to add:

large_stanley-karnow-070809.jpg

The caption below the picture in an article at www.cleveland.com, whatever that may be, reads:

This July 8, 2009, photo shows journalist and Vietnam-war expert Stanley Karnow, seated, in Washington paying respects to the first American causalities killed in Vietnam in 1959. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, NATO's top commander in Afghanistan, and Richard Holbrooke, the U.S. special envoy to the country, telephoned Karnow on July 27 to discuss the two conflicts.

He's quite a story-teller, too. A talk about our respected favourite

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Reasonably recent picture, link to interview added.
  • Like 1

Not the easiest story to put over to a newsdesk when Claire Hollingworth got in touch to say World War II was about to start. I can imagine the reaction: "Is there a press release?"

• Like 1

Malcolm Brabant, the BBC's man in Athens, has been seriously ill for several months - both physically and mentally - after allegedly suffering a severe allergic reaction to a yellow fever vaccine. The comments at the end of that article quote from his wife's Facebook page:

My husband has had another long and difficult day. He is now in a heart unit after having suffered an embolism that's gone to his lungs.

Guest Guest

Another BBC journalist,their former health correspondent Richard Hannaford, has died from cancer at 49 http://www.guardian....naford-obituary

Edited by Magere Hein
Two posts merged.

So, in what was my attempt at a "smart" pick this year, I opted for 29-year-old Times journalist Mary Bowers, who saw in the new year in a coma after being hit by a lorry. The news on the hack jungle telegraph regarding her ranges from "very grim" through to "she's totally making humming noises now, that's like being alive" depending on who you talk to, so I'm not celebrating that choice just yet. However, the Times has decided to launch a cycle-safety campaign resultantly, meaning that a massive picture of Ms Bowers will be appearing on the front cover of The Thunderer tomorrow. Keep 'em peeled.

It's getting bad when people are dying twice.

• Like 1

Former 'Royal Reporter' James Whitaker has died this morning, aged 71.

Did we know he was ill? No matter, I'm annoyed with myself for not picking him as he always looked like the type to drop dead of a heart attack anyway.

awww that's a shame. he'll miss the jubilee party

awww that's a shame. he'll miss the jubilee party

With any luck he'll get to watch it with Prince Philip.

US novelist & latter scandal-hack Dominick Dunne

http://www.himho.com...unne-died-7309/

Am I missing something here? Dominick Dunne died nearly 3 years ago, in 2009. Either you've got a very slow news feed, there Grand Pablo, or it takes you a while to report a death. I thought Godot's 11 month hiatus between Gary Mason's death and then reporting it on here was a DL record never to be beaten...

Express journo Michael O'Flaherty, who "who helped track down Great train robber ronnie Biggs" has died after a long illness. He was 74.

US novelist & latter scandal-hack Dominick Dunne

http://www.himho.com...unne-died-7309/

Am I missing something here? Dominick Dunne died nearly 3 years ago, in 2009. Either you've got a very slow news feed, there Grand Pablo, or it takes you a while to report a death. I thought Godot's 11 month hiatus between Gary Mason's death and then reporting it on here was a DL record never to be beaten...

How embarrassing...I have a crap reason behind this, but should have checked the better half's facts first...if you want something doing right...

More up to date, former Deputy Editor of the Mail on Sunday, Jim Anderson. I wonder why they called him 'Big'?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103243/Big-Jim-Anderson-The-Mail-Sunday-dies-aged-73.html?ITO=1490

Kinda feel I could become the "dying journalist" guy on these forums. Guardian hack Simon Ricketts has thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, which means he has little chance of making it past more than a decade and, if his upcoming operation isn't a success, he could be out for the count within the next few months.

• Like 1