Crispy

Andy Fordham Memorial Darts Thread

Andy Fordham will he retain his title ???  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IE; yer man Fordham starts his campaign for the world championship today, matched against a seed in the first round. Can't say I'm the expert but if he goes out surely he'll be the only person in the history of the competition to win the title and then crash out in the first round for the following three years. In fact, it's possible he might not win another game - like ever - in the BDO championship.

IE; yer man Fordham starts his campaign for the world championship today, matched against a seed in the first round. Can't say I'm the expert but if he goes out surely he'll be the only person in the history of the competition to win the title and then crash out in the first round for the following three years.

Didn't that young Dutch guy who won last year go out of the competition yesterday?

In fact, it's possible he might not win another game - like ever - in the BDO championship.

Bite your tongue, Mr funcity! :rip:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_spor...rts/6242757.stm

He's pulled out of his match with breathing difficulties.

what a top-notch athlete. Unable to compete in an event which requires perhaps as little physical motion as any. Notice I'm avoiding the use of the word "sport", which darts isn't. Remember, if people can, and regularly do, smoke during the activity, then it's not a sport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_spor...rts/6242757.stm

He's pulled out of his match with breathing difficulties.

what a top-notch athlete. Unable to compete in an event which requires perhaps as little physical motion as any. Notice I'm avoiding the use of the word "sport", which darts isn't. Remember, if people can, and regularly do, smoke during the activity, then it's not a sport.

I'm not too sure about that definition. You could quite easily smoke playing cricket, depending on where you were fielding, and Richard Bryant used to smoke while bowling.

Snooker is surely a sport, and you can smoke, and Sir Jimmy Savile smokes cigars while running the marathon.

Darts a sport never.my son calls it mini javelin.

when you have to move that much weight around.something has got to give.knees,heart.

the stress on the body must be amazing.

could be an early exit for the big man. :ph34r:

I'm guessing In Eternum will happen by soon. I'm wishing I could eat the words I posted elsewhere on this forum, and that Andy had played and won today.

I know the big man is grossly overweight and endangering his health but I'd say here and now that - having met him a few times over the years - he remains one of the most self-effacing and decent human beings I've ever encountered. Not in the least taken with any fame he's had and a man who'd enjoy some of the mockery of darts posted above. I hope he loses weight and gets back to what he does best. I'd have a real conscience picking him for a deadpool any time.

I'm guessing In Eternum will happen by soon. I'm wishing I could eat the words I posted elsewhere on this forum, and that Andy had played and won today.

I know the big man is grossly overweight and endangering his health but I'd say here and now that - having met him a few times over the years - he remains one of the most self-effacing and decent human beings I've ever encountered. Not in the least taken with any fame he's had and a man who'd enjoy some of the mockery of darts posted above. I hope he loses weight and gets back to what he does best. I'd have a real conscience picking him for a deadpool any time.

I liked him on Celebrity Fat Club. I'd argue what he does best is drinking based on the evidence of that show. I'd still much rather see him drinking or throwing darts than dying though - get well soon Mr Viking

I too am devastated that my favourite darts player was unable to perform today. I think The Viking is absolutely fabulous, and it's sad that he's in such a bad way that he couldn't see out his game.

Having said that, I find your comment (emboldened above) a surprising yet interesting one. Should we only select DP team members out of those who we don't like / are seen as generally dislikable? I mean, whether you consider Fordham a fine man or otherwise, if he were blatantly very poorly and in a position to be selected for a DP team (i.e. it was the end of December and not the beginning of January!) why would you have a conscience about selecting him?

It seems to me that to not select someone simply because you like or respect them is illogical. Whether they are great or horrid, if they're going to die they're going to die. The fact that they are in a position to make a worthy team member might be depressing/sad/unfortunate, but I'm not sure where conscience comes into it. I'd rather have a teamful of candidates I like/respect/admire - like CLS - than a teamful of scumbags. Having said that, if the scumbags were guarateed points then I probably wouldn't mind having them on my team, either. But I'd rather have to monitor the health of folk I'm interested in and care about rather than folk I can't stand the sight of.

:ph34r: Get well soon, Andy. I shall continue to sport my avatar with pride. :(

Take all of yer points above IE, my conscience would simply be that he's is such a genuine nice guy and his wife is a hilarious on a quiet day. The thought I could profit from his demise and her pain would bother me, end of. Having said that, I know it's about logic, studying form and guesswork so - in one sense - a deadpool is a deadpool and points are points.

I'm guessing most of us would draw the line somewhere, for example - considering your points above - hypothetically speaking: if you had the inside track on your mother's illness and she'd qualify for a broadsheet obit, would you sit tight and post the team on December 31st?

haha, this guy only gets mentioned in January when the BDO is on. Heat exhaustion + a rather serious case of jaundice from drinking too much, so his liver must be on the way out. Be a good pick for next year i think as he should see this year out.

Can`t see him getting any better tho, i bet the guys entire life revolves around a pub (he's a publican i think??)

I'm guessing most of us would draw the line somewhere, for example - considering your points above - hypothetically speaking: if you had the inside track on your mother's illness and she'd qualify for a broadsheet obit, would you sit tight and post the team on December 31st?

An intriguing point... and one that has been posed (though less eloquently) by guests of the past.

The honest answer is: I don't know. I do that if it were me and not my mum, I would be more than happy to be selected for a DP team (although I'm not sure where the rules stand on dying famous people choosing themselves - might lead to disqualification). But I guess that's slightly different. I dunno... who can say what they'd truly do in the moment, but right now my answer is that I probably would. Otherwise I think I'd be a hypocrite.

Re the above posts; I see the problem IE. Picking Andy just feels wrong to me, although medically I can see the reasoning. And if he doesn't deal with the alcohol intake soon he'll do well to see fifty. Re Andy being a publican....no, it's a popular misconception. He's a professional darts player, his wife is the publican at The Rose in Dartford. It works well in that his fame draws people from all over to make one visit to the pub.

Mr & Mrs Viking have now left The Rose and are looking to purchase another licensed premises. He is being treated for beer on the lung.

Can you source any of the above PicklePuss?

I am planning to fulfill a (recently devised) lifelong dream and attend Lakeside next year. I plan to wear a skimpy bikini which is decorated with bullseyes, so that I get on TV a lot. I also plan to get rip-roaringly drunk every night.

Are you there yet? :o

The Viking wants to thank his fans personally this week. Go Andy!!

I am planning to fulfill a (recently devised) lifelong dream and attend Lakeside next year. I plan to wear a skimpy bikini which is decorated with bullseyes, so that I get on TV a lot. I also plan to get rip-roaringly drunk every night.

Are you there yet? :rolleyes:

I wish! Rather unforunately, my financial situation can only be described as "dire" at the moment, so no Lakeside tickets for ie+ this year. However, I do sit in front of the box everyday - bikini-clad - watching the darts, swigging beer, eating chicken-in-a-basket, and yelling "ooonnnnneeeeehhhhuunnnddrrreedandeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhhhtttttyy!" whenever appropriate.

There are no television cameras here of course, but I suppose I could always ask my flatmate to record me with my mobile phone if I wanted to recreate the Lakeside environment even more... But that would just be silly!

Are you there yet? :rolleyes:

I wish! Rather unforunately, my financial situation can only be described as "dire" at the moment, so no Lakeside tickets for ie+ this year. However, I do sit in front of the box everyday - bikini-clad - watching the darts, swigging beer, eating chicken-in-a-basket, and yelling "ooonnnnneeeeehhhhuunnnddrrreedandeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhhhtttttyy!" whenever appropriate.

There are no television cameras here of course, but I suppose I could always ask my flatmate to record me with my mobile phone if I wanted to recreate the Lakeside environment even more... But that would just be silly!

If you're still wearing the bikini, do you mind if I check out with a double top?

The Viking wants to thank his fans personally this week. Go Andy!!

Why is this morbidly obese man called The Viking?

If he attempted to board a long boat it'd sink, and I doubt he can even locate his penis let alone do any raping.

His hairstyle and beard are the main reasons. The name was more or less foisted on him, he didn't choose it and it's traditional for darts players to have a nickname. I'm sure if you stuck a lightbulb in the anus of Phil 'The Power' Taylor it would refuse to shine (the bulb, not the anus).

Re the raping and penis bit, dunno about locating it, I'm sure he could see it in a mirror. As I understand it he and his wife have been together since they were kids, about forty years, so I doubt rogering female strangers is high on his agenda. He did once have a female stalker, a scots woman of similar body shape to himself. That story has always struck me as having potential for a movie.

That, of course is all dependent on whether the bulb is plugged into the mains at the time, a fascinating scientific experiment that I for one would not be willing to participate in.

I'm sure if you stuck a lightbulb in the anus of Phil 'The Power' Taylor it would refuse to shine (the bulb, not the anus).

I had to read most of this thread to work out who Andy Fordham is.

I must be getting old as I haven't heard of a single darts player since the days of Jocky Wilson, Eric Bristow and Keith Deller