randomranter

The Dutch

I just learned that Jérôme Heldring, a Dutch journalist and former editor of NRC Handelsblad has quit writing his regular columns in that newpaper. He's a right-wing old fart, but a right-wing old fart with class. His clear thinking and impeccable Dutch have been an example for many, although too few in my view.

Anyway, at 94 he's due to go soon, and this might be the first herald, so to speak. His being a journo of a respected paper might get his death a line or two in the UK press. Or maybe not.

Dead.

He died 27 April, aged 95.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Dutch singer and songwriter Maarten van Roozendaal died today from cancer, aged 51.

image-3610512.JPG

regards,
Hein

Paul Baumer, one half of Dutch house music duo Bingo Players, has been diagnosed with cancer. The Bingo Players had a UK number 1 single last year with
  • Like 1

Dutch author, journo and poet Michel van der Plas died last Sunday, aged 85.

dyn001_original_232_300_pjpeg_2535747_18b13e19731625ea451360263d385fe6.jpg

regards,

Hein

Dutch "jazz singer"[1]Rita Reys died last night, aged 88.

[1]Anyting sung can´t be jazz, with the sole exception of Chet Baker.

regards,

Hein

Comedian Hans Sibbel seems to suffer from some sort of Auto immune illness. I hope for his sake it's not the same thing Fernando Ricksen is suffering from.

[...]respected Dutch journo [who's] getting on a bit: [...] André Spoor (b. 1931). [...] Spoor has vanished from public life, not even a Dutch Wikipedia entry. There is a German one, though.

Shit, he died 18 September 2012. Completely missed that.

regards,

Hein

Paul Baumer, one half of Dutch house music duo Bingo Players, has been diagnosed with cancer. The Bingo Players had a UK number 1 single last year with

Dead.

Dead.

Get Down (Death Rattle)

Another one off the 2014 longlist then.

The Dutch scoring the first death in their forum in 2014.

Lyricist, writer and journalist Herman Pieter de Boer died tonight at the age of 85.

The Dutch scoring the first death in their forum in 2014.

Lyricist, writer and journalist Herman Pieter de Boer died tonight at the age of 85.

A fine author, whom I'll certainly miss. His novella Dorpsgeheimen (Village secrets) is brilliant.

I considered him for my DDP theme team, but dismissed him because I don't expect his death will be reported in a DDP approved news source.

regards,

Hein

I read somewere that generic (but oddly very popular) Dutch singer Marco Borsato has had a minor stroke... couldn't find a propper english link though....

For my theme team I dropped: Armando, Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau, Gijs van Lennep, Eddy Merckx, Leo Vroman. The first and last because of low obit chance, the others for lack of hit chance.

Dropping Prince Friso proved a mistake. I wonder if my predictions will fare better with Leo Vroman, as he's dead.

regards,

Hein

Not a good week for Dutch authors. Hugo Brandt Corstius died this morning, aged 78.

It's difficult to explain his work and importance to a foreign audience. My favourite among his books is Opperlans!, a work best described as about Dutch on holiday. While everyday Dutch is mostly about meaning, Opperlans is mostly about form, with chapters about palindromes, anagrams, lipograms, pangrams and much, much more.

It's a sad day.

regards,

Hein

Cees Veerman, singer and guitarist of the Dutch 60s/70s pop band The Cats, died today at age 70.

The Cats had 5 No.1-hits in the Netherlands and several other hits in continental Europe, e.g. "One Way Wind" (1971 No.1 in Switzerland, No.4 in Germany), "Let's dance" (1972 No.2 in Switzerland, No.3 in Germany) and "Be my day" (1974 No. 4 in Germany).

http://nos.nl/artike...-overleden.html

Dutch singer Thé Lau has been given up by the doctors. He's suffering from throat cancer and the cancer has also spead to his left lung.

Yesterday I paid a visit to the Poetry International Festival, to listen to Jules Deelder. Deelder appeared to be in fine shape at 69, even after a life full of booze and dope.

Interesting (for deadpooling purposes) was a video message from Dutch poet Remco Campert. At 84, Campert apparently was too frail to attend in person, and the video showed an old man, speaking in that soft, breathless manner so typical for the elderly. I'm afraid he doesn't have many years left in him, even though he still regularly writes for newspaper De Volkskrant.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Good news everyone (at least for all Dutch).

The entertainment value of Dutch comedy has risen sharply today. Dutch 'comedian' Seth Gaaikema, the most boring one by far, died aged 75.

regards,

Hein

The entertainment value of Dutch comedy has risen sharply today. Dutch 'comedian' Seth Gaaikema, the most boring one by far, died aged 75.

regards,

Hein

Who was he the Dutch equivalent of?

Who was he the Dutch equivalent of?

Imagine a slightly posh and impeccably dressed stand-up chappie, can't sing, can't dance, whose 'jokes' are mostly puns and who likes to explain them. Think of the "nudge-nudge" character in the Monty Python skit. He had an excuse for being daft: both his parents were Mennonite vicars, but he didn't have to visit that on the public.

He was biggish in the 70s and 80s. Me mum liked him.

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest

Former Dutch Pm Piet de Jong

Former Dutch Pm Piet de Jong

Well yes. At 99 he's the second oldest living state leader. There's a reason why I picked him for my theme team.

Here's a picture of him, taken 15 may 2014:

Piet_De_Jong20140515.jpg

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Image fixed
  • Like 1