Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

British singer Kathy Kirby is the latest to fall victim of the eurovision curse.She came 2nd with her song 'I Belong'.No idea what year though

1965. "I Belong" a great song and good performance, but for once the UK actually deserved to come 2nd as France Gall's "Poupée de cire, poupée de son" was even better IMHO.

Bugger about Kathy Kirby though. I was just thinking yesterday how I should put her down on my 2012 Death List... :lol:

• Like 1

It says on the BBC site that Luxembourg came first :lol:

edit:please ignore my stupidity..i just saw the first name France and assumed it was the country.duh

edit:please ignore my stupidity...

We've been trying...

1965. "I Belong" a great song and good performance, but for once the UK actually deserved to come 2nd as France Gall's "Poupée de cire, poupée de son" was even better IMHO.

Kathy Kirby wasn't impressed by France Gall's win and apparently went up to her and smacked her across the face. So a bit of a bad loser, our Kathy...

France Gall's "Poupée de cire, poupée de son" was even better IMHO.

By the genius that was Serge Gainsbourg. He later stitched poor France up even worse with that lollipop song. :lol:

As for KK - she nearly went in my first ever DDP team, but there never seemed to be any solid news about her health.

Sven Olof Walldoff has died at the age of 82.

He was the conductor when Abba won in 1974, just around the corner from me.

Linda Christian, first ever Bond girl who died recently, was the mother of Romina Power, one half of Al Bano & Romina Power (Eurovision, Italy 1976 & 1985).

In the same way Linda Christian's acting abilities were down to her looks and little else, the same can be said of her daughter and her voice [sic]...

Just a nice bit of trivia there for you.

Linda Christian, first ever Bond girl who died recently, was the mother of Romina Power, one half of Al Bano & Romina Power (Eurovision, Italy 1976 & 1985).

In the same way Linda Christian's acting abilities were down to her looks and little else, the same can be said of her daughter and her voice [sic]...

Just a nice bit of trivia there for you.

Al Bano is a total hero of mine !!!!

Danish singer/actress Ellen Winther has died at the age of 78.

She represented Denmark at the 1962 contest, held in Luxembourg, with the song Vuggevise (Lullaby). She came 10th. It was won by the French entry.

Ingvar Wixell

Swedish operatic baritone who performed their 1965 entry.

"In a break from the then prevailing tradition, the song was sung in English (as "Absent Friend"). This led to the introduction from 1966 onwards of a rule stipulating that each country's entry must be sung in one of the languages of that country. (This rule was cancelled for the years 1973 to 1977, reinstated in 1978, and cancelled again in 1999.)".

Ingvar Wixell

Swedish operatic baritone who performed their 1965 entry.

One of my least favourite Eurovision entries ever. Thank goodness France Gall (whose 64th birthday it was yesterday) won that year.

Malina Olinescu, who represented Romania in the 1998 Eurovision, has jumped to her death at the age of 37.

No English obits yet.

Whaddya mean no obits...YET?!

Whaddya mean no obits...YET?!

There should be an English language obit from the likes of esctoday.com sooner or later.

Can't see the BBC doing one however - Toše Proeski got an obit but he was a big star in FYROM whereas Malina Olinescu wasn't really in Romania.

Oh, and she's another now dead person I've seen live. She sang better at the dress rehersal than at the final, and was one of the most nervous people I've ever seen.

Quick start to 2012 with two Eurovision deaths. First up was Denmark 1991 entrant Anders Frandsen, whose lifeless body was found on 1 January. Police are currently treating the death as suspicious.

Next up is Kerry McGregor who memorably came second to Katrina And The Waves in the 1997 UK national final with

. She apparently was also on The X Factor, but Eurovision is far more important. Died of bladder cancer aged 37.

Quick start to 2012 with two Eurovision deaths. First up was Denmark 1991 entrant Anders Frandsen, whose lifeless body was found on 1 January. Police are currently treating the death as suspicious.

Next up is Kerry McGregor who memorably came second to Katrina And The Waves in the 1997 UK national final with

. She apparently was also on The X Factor, but Eurovision is far more important. Died of bladder cancer aged 37.

But not Corry Brokken (79, stroke in 2008) then.

Her time will come, pompom pompom.

regards,

Hein

Yodel in the canyon of love? 4.gif

Is that a euphemism for something?

Yodel in the canyon of love? 4.gif

Is that a euphemism for something?

It's a euphemism for shite.

So, is there an older surviving Eurovision contestant than Teddy Johnson, who was pushing 40 when he represented Great Britain in 1959?

Margot Hielscher, who everyone will remember finished fourth in 1957 with "Telefon Telefon", turns 93 this year on September 19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDWfe-4JcYc

Legendary Irish conductor Noel Kelehan has died aged 76. He conducted 29 Eurovision entries, including 24 Irish ones.

So, is there an older surviving Eurovision contestant than Teddy Johnson, who was pushing 40 when he represented Great Britain in 1959?

Margot Hielscher, who everyone will remember finished fourth in 1957 with "Telefon Telefon", turns 93 this year on September 19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDWfe-4JcYc

"Für zwei Groschen Musik" was even better and more swinging (despite coming 7th), but the record minus the record player was perhaps a gimmick too far.

Eurovision icon Helga Vlahović, who hosted the 1990 Eurovision and was the spokeswoman for many years, has died of cancer in Zagreb age 67.

Remember her with these classic Eurovision moments:

The infamous "I don't have it" incident of 1981...

and her legendary warm "hello" to everyone watching around the world in 1990...