Stayin Alive

Carry On Dying

Saw 'Rather You Than Me', the drama starring David Walliams as Frankie Howerd. It featured Dilys Laye (Cruising and Doctor) as the late comedian's mother. My word she looks old... <_<

• Like 1

Posted elsewhere, but Jack Douglas has died.

Phwaay!

The lovely Dilys Laye has died of cancer aged 74. She appeared in four Carry On films (Doctor, Spying, Cruising and Camping). Bella Flo... :)

The lovely Dilys Laye has died of cancer aged 74. She appeared in four Carry On films (Doctor, Spying, Cruising and Camping). Bella Flo... :)

She was lovely.

We have all got to die some time but thats quite sad, another person from that golden era gone.

Dilys layed to rest. Sad news indeed.

Not many of 'em left now.....

Because of the somewhat ill-advised revivals of the recent past there are LOADS of them left, just not many from the golden era. Whether our successors on here will bemoan the passing of Julian Clary and his generation in any significant way......is debatable

Because of the somewhat ill-advised revivals of the recent past there are LOADS of them left, just not many from the golden era. Whether our successors on here will bemoan the passing of Julian Clary and his generation in any significant way......is debatable

There aren't many of the main original Carry On stars left though...Jim Dale, Babs, Lord Leslie Phillips and St Windsor of Davies (plus Angela Douglas and Jacki Piper on the post-Babs totty side...). And June Whitfield. Oh yes, Bernard Cribbins. Kenneth Cope. Julian Holloway. Well, maybe there are a few after all.....

There aren't many of the main original Carry On stars left though...Jim Dale, Babs, Lord Leslie Phillips and St Windsor of Davies (plus Angela Douglas and Jacki Piper on the post-Babs totty side...). And June Whitfield. Oh yes, Bernard Cribbins. Kenneth Cope. Julian Holloway. Well, maybe there are a few after all.....

Not to mention the man behind it all.. Peter Rogers who turns 95 today

Not to mention the man behind it all.. Peter Rogers who turns 95 today

The man, the legend. Mr Rogers, we salute you.

Guest Julian's scriptwriter

I expect they'll be glad to see the back of him! I guess he'll want to be buried, if he can find a hole big enough! Then there's the back filling as soon as he's planted! etc. etc.

I expect they'll be glad to see the back of him! I guess he'll want to be buried, if he can find a hole big enough! Then there's the back filling as soon as he's planted! etc. etc.

I've heard that when Patrick Moore dies, Julian Clary is in line to present the Sky at Night, or as it will be renamed, "Looking Up At Uranus"......

...sorry...

Bill Maynard too, is one that instantly springs to mind.

In summary:

DEAD (54)

Kenneth Williams

Joan Sims

Charles Hawtrey

Sid James

Kenneth Connor

Peter Butterworth

Bernard Bresslaw

Hattie Jacques

Patsy Rowlands

Jack Douglas

Terry Scott

William Hartnell

Bob Monkhouse

Bill Owen

Eric Barker

Norman Rossington

Wilfrid Hyde-White

Joan Hickson

Ted Rau

Carol White

Esma Cannon

Irene Handl

Frankie Howerd

Stanley Unwin

Jerry Desmonde

Dilys Laye

Ed Devereaux

Anton Rodgers

Judith Furse

Renee Houston

Donald Houston

Cecil Parker

Richard Wattis

Eric Pohlmann

Victor Maddern

Jane Lumb

Jon Pertwee

Francis De Wolff

Harry H. Corbett

Dany Robin

Phil Silvers

Betty Marsden

Brian Oulton

Derek Francis

Roy Stewart

Imogen Hassall

Amelia Bayntun

Jimmy Logan

David Lodge

Peter Jones

Beryl Reid

Roy Castle

Cardew Robinson

Wendy Richard

Peter Rogers (producer)

ALIVE (51)

Jim Dale

Peter Gilmore

Barbara Windsor

Julian Holloway

Valerie Leon

Richard O'Callaghan

Jackie Piper

Shirley Eaton

Dora Bryan

Terence Longdon

Leslie Phillips

Richard O'Sullivan

Rosalind Knight

Liz Fraser

Milo O'Shea

Amanda Barrie

Carole Shelley

Bernard Cribbins

Juliet Mills

Angela Douglas

Fenella Fielding

Anita Harris

John Bluthal

Trisha Noble

Nina Baden-Semper

Bill Maynard

Kenneth Cope

Brian Osborne

June Whitfield

Frank Thornton

Ray Brooks

Gail Grainger

Carol Hawkins

Sally Geeson

Margaret Nolan

Windsor Davies

Ian Lavender

Sherrie Hewson

Adrienne Posta

Elke Sommer

George Layton

Larry Dann

Patrick Mower

Judy Geeson

Diane Langton

Melvyn Hayes

Suzanne Danielle

Robin Askwith

Anna Karen

Johnny Briggs

Many are still living then ... but all the main ones are dead

Hail Ulitzer - a major contribution there. Beyond Dale and Windsor (possibly Bryan) it's all bit part players, discounting, as we should, 'Carry on Columbus'. However, one name is missing from your excellent list - Peter Rogers, the famed Carry On producer who has been mentioned before, and who turned 95 yesterday.

In summary:

DEAD (51)

Kenneth Williams

Joan Sims

Charles Hawtrey

Sid James

Kenneth Connor

Peter Butterworth

Bernard Bresslaw

Hattie Jacques

Patsy Rowlands

Jack Douglas

Terry Scott

William Hartnell

Bob Monkhouse

Bill Owen

Eric Barker

Norman Rossington

Wilfrid Hyde-White

Joan Hickson

Ted Rau

Carol White

Esma Cannon

Irene Handl

Frankie Howerd

Stanley Unwin

Jerry Desmonde

Dilys Laye

Ed Devereaux

Anton Rodgers

Judith Furse

Renee Houston

Donald Houston

Cecil Parker

Richard Wattis

Eric Pohlmann

Victor Maddern

Jane Lumb

Jon Pertwee

Francis De Wolff

Harry H. Corbett

Dany Robin

Phil Silvers

Betty Marsden

Brian Oulton

Derek Francis

Roy Stewart

Imogen Hassall

Amelia Bayntun

Jimmy Logan

David Lodge

Peter Jones

Beryl Reid

ALIVE (48)

Jim Dale

Peter Gilmore

Barbara Windsor

Julian Holloway

Valerie Leon

Richard O'Callaghan

Jackie Piper

Shirley Eaton

Dora Bryan

Terence Longdon

Leslie Phillips

Richard O'Sullivan

Rosalind Knight

Liz Fraser

Milo O'Shea

Amanda Barrie

Carole Shelley

Bernard Cribbins

Juliet Mills

Angela Douglas

Fenella Fielding

Anita Harris

John Bluthal

Trisha Noble

Nina Baden-Semper

Bill Maynard

Kenneth Cope

Brian Osborne

June Whitfield

Frank Thornton

Ray Brooks

Gail Grainger

Carol Hawkins

Sally Geeson

Wendy Richard

Margaret Nolan

Windsor Davies

Ian Lavender

Sherrie Hewson

Adrienne Posta

Elke Sommer

George Layton

Larry Dann

Patrick Mower

Judy Geeson

Diane Langton

Melvyn Hayes

Suzanne Danielle

Added... I never even knew he was still alive tbh :rolleyes: can't find any recent pictures of him but I think we can presume that if there are no reports of failing health, then he should outlive Wendy Richards...

Added... I never even knew he was still alive tbh ;) can't find any recent pictures of him but I think we can presume that if there are no reports of failing health, then he should outlive Wendy Richards...

So the upshot of this little exercise is that Dilys Laye has tipped the balance from an even 50/50 split of alive/dead Carry On Stars, and given the advantage to those no longer with us. EXCEPT that the great Robin Askwith (Girls) has been omitted, as has Anna Karen (Camping, Loving) and Johnny Briggs (Khyber, Behind, England), along with (presumably) a number of the gratuitous totty essential for making a Carry On film what it was. On the minus side, Roy Castle and Cardew Robinson (both appeared in Khyber, neither is living) were also omitted. Conclusion then? Who knows. But it appears my statement that there aren't many left now was not strictly correct.

One thing's for sure though - the number still living can only go one way.....

Added... I never even knew he was still alive tbh ;) can't find any recent pictures of him but I think we can presume that if there are no reports of failing health, then he should outlive Wendy Richards...

So the upshot of this little exercise is that Dilys Laye has tipped the balance from an even 50/50 split of alive/dead Carry On Stars, and given the advantage to those no longer with us. EXCEPT that the great Robin Askwith (Girls) has been omitted, as has Anna Karen (Camping, Loving) and Johnny Briggs (Khyber, Behind, England), along with (presumably) a number of the gratuitous totty essential for making a Carry On film what it was. On the minus side, Roy Castle and Cardew Robinson (both appeared in Khyber, neither is living) were also omitted. Conclusion then? Who knows. But it appears my statement that there aren't many left now was not strictly correct.

Added... if you find anymore just say....

Dilys Laye...I mentioned her last year and said she was looking a bit old. But I forgot about her when considering my DDP picks.

Must look over my own posts in preparation for next years list...

In summary:

DEAD (53)

Kenneth Williams

Joan Sims

Charles Hawtrey

Sid James

Kenneth Connor

Peter Butterworth

Bernard Bresslaw

Hattie Jacques

Patsy Rowlands

Jack Douglas

Terry Scott

William Hartnell

Bob Monkhouse

Bill Owen

Eric Barker

Norman Rossington

Wilfrid Hyde-White

Joan Hickson

Ted Rau

Carol White

Esma Cannon

Irene Handl

Frankie Howerd

Stanley Unwin

Jerry Desmonde

Dilys Laye

Ed Devereaux

Anton Rodgers

Judith Furse

Renee Houston

Donald Houston

Cecil Parker

Richard Wattis

Eric Pohlmann

Victor Maddern

Jane Lumb

Jon Pertwee

Francis De Wolff

Harry H. Corbett

Dany Robin

Phil Silvers

Betty Marsden

Brian Oulton

Derek Francis

Roy Stewart

Imogen Hassall

Amelia Bayntun

Jimmy Logan

David Lodge

Peter Jones

Beryl Reid

Roy Castle

Cardew Robinson

ALIVE (52)

Jim Dale

Peter Gilmore

Barbara Windsor

Julian Holloway

Valerie Leon

Richard O'Callaghan

Jackie Piper

Shirley Eaton

Dora Bryan

Terence Longdon

Leslie Phillips

Richard O'Sullivan

Rosalind Knight

Liz Fraser

Milo O'Shea

Amanda Barrie

Carole Shelley

Bernard Cribbins

Juliet Mills

Angela Douglas

Fenella Fielding

Anita Harris

John Bluthal

Trisha Noble

Nina Baden-Semper

Bill Maynard

Kenneth Cope

Brian Osborne

June Whitfield

Frank Thornton

Ray Brooks

Gail Grainger

Carol Hawkins

Sally Geeson

Wendy Richard

Margaret Nolan

Windsor Davies

Ian Lavender

Sherrie Hewson

Adrienne Posta

Elke Sommer

George Layton

Larry Dann

Patrick Mower

Judy Geeson

Diane Langton

Melvyn Hayes

Suzanne Danielle

Robin Askwith

Anna Karen

Johnny Briggs

Peter Rogers (producer)

Time to move Wendy Richard to the list of the dead

Done... wow really didn't expect her to go this quick I thought she would've at least seen summer...

I wonder how many of the "Carry On" crew have had a hospital unit named in their honour?

George Evans, a script writer who co-wrote the popular radio show "The Navy Lark" from the 12th series onwards has died of pneumonia aged 84 "in the June Whitfield palliative care unit" at St Helier Hospital, Surrey, named after his close friend.

Evans can also rightfully claim a minor place on this thread himself, having worked on "Carry on Dick".

Richard O'Callaghan had a bit part in the recent Red Dwarf revival. Hard to tell how he was looking as he was wearing hugh sunglasses.