maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Former- good looking Canadian author Nelly Arcan was found dead of an apparent suicide. She was 35.

Author's DO seem to last a long time... unless, of course, they kill themselves.

Chinese author and former political prisoner Nien Cheng has died aged 94.

An obit worthy scribe who's older than Salinger. It would be a bit of a gamble but Beatrice Sparks was involved in a high profile literary hoax, penning a book called Go Ask Alice, in 1971. It was an international best-seller and her subsequent justifications for the whole thing would make good obit copy as and when.

An obit worthy scribe who's older than Salinger. It would be a bit of a gamble but Beatrice Sparks was involved in a high profile literary hoax, penning a book called Go Ask Alice, in 1971. It was an international best-seller and her subsequent justifications for the whole thing would make good obit copy as and when.

Dammit Mary, I was hoping to keep that one to myself.

The elderly author I'm keeping to myself is Dora Jessie Saint, 96, who wrote cosy stories of village life under the pen name of Miss Read.

The elderly author I'm keeping to myself is Dora Jessie Saint, 96, who wrote cosy stories of village life under the pen name of Miss Read.

Ah yes. I think I put her in a dead pool a couple of years ago, or someone put her in mine. I worked in a library as a teenager and I remember her works were quite popular. Another elderly author of popular fiction is this old girl. I think she's still writing though so she may be ok for a little while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilian_Jackson_Braun

Well you're doing a crap job of it, as she's be on the Ideas thread for almost two years now. :P I think Handy suggested her originally in fact...

Glad you did mention it though; I'll pencil her in on the off chance that she makes 2010. Usually if you've chosen to reveal a name, it's because you don't plan on them lasting another 24 hours. :devil2::xbones:

Colleen McCullough to undergo brain surgery. Nothing malignant unfortunately, but she is suffering from a condition called trigeminal neuralgia, which Wikipedia helpfully tells us is "known as "the suicide disease" because it causes one of the most severe pains that a human being can experience"...

Alan Sillitoe will be on Desert Island Discs a week on Sunday, no particular reason to think he's a DL candidate, other than him being born in 1928. Still might be worth a listen to see how the TB case/ pipe smoker sounds.

Erich Segal, author and screenwriter of Love Story (he wrote the screenplay first but Paramount told him to write it as a book as well before the film was made) has died at 72, from a heart attack. He also wrote the screenplay for Yellow Submarine.

I'll be surprised if he doen't get a proper obit, Miser...

Oh ye of little faith!

Well done Misers - I didn't think I'd top the DDP for that long!

Nice hit for you as well in the CP league.

Peter O'Donnell

The novelist and creator of the "Modesty Blaise" cartoon strip has died aged 90. He had been fighting Parkinson's disease for some time.

• Like 1