Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Belated Happy Birthday to Otto von Habsburg - 95 on Tuesday 20th November.

franz_joseph_and_otto.jpg

Otto with his great-great uncle, Emperor Franz Joseph (1830-1916)

Looks they interrupted him from playing with his doll's house

• Like 1

It seems as if the Times are interested in who's alive these days. One small step from organising their own deadpool methinks...

Who's still alive?

There are some useful snippets for keen deadpoolers for future reference although most we know about...:)

Hoping someone can help me. I was absolutley convinced that Elisabeth Beresford who created the Wombles was dead. I'm sure I remember reading her obit about 2 or 3 years ago and Magic is convinced of the same, however everywhere on-line seems to indicate she's still alive. Anyone know for sure? And who could we have been thinking about if not her?

Hoping someone can help me. I was absolutley convinced that Elisabeth Beresford who created the Wombles was dead. I'm sure I remember reading her obit about 2 or 3 years ago and Magic is convinced of the same, however everywhere on-line seems to indicate she's still alive. Anyone know for sure? And who could we have been thinking about if not her?

Well, she's married to Max Robertson, the tennis commentator, so I'm pretty convinced she's alive - daft as it sounds, might it be Ivor Wood, creator of the Wombles TV show, who died in 2004, that you are thinking of?

Well, she's married to Max Robertson, the tennis commentator, so I'm pretty convinced she's alive - daft as it sounds, might it be Ivor Wood, creator of the Wombles TV show, who died in 2004, that you are thinking of?

Hmm that's a possibilty I suppose though I'm sure it was a woman I was thinking of and it's not Tove Janssen. It might have been Helen Cresswell I suppose. I'll take your word that Elisabeth Beresford is still alive .

I went out for lunch with my wife's family, came back home and was surprised that Suharto is still alive.

Viscount Montgomery, in other words David, son of Bernard 'Monty' Montgomery. 80 this year and still - sort of - active in the House of Lords.

I was surprised to find out that I'm still alive.

So was I BB. I thought you were a gonner and hadn't left word.

I was surprised to find a few people still alive. Bloody elated when you started posting again BB. The difference is I'm willing you to thrive, I'm cruising the rest of this thread for potential scoring picks.

Dilys Thomas is still alive. There are a few moderately famous people with that name but only one is the mother of 69 year old David Dimbleby.

Doesn't have her own Wiki page but she'd be a good bet for a paragraph here or there and DDP points.

Born 1913 (I think).

Dilys Thomas is still alive. There are a few moderately famous people with that name but only one is the mother of 69 year old David Dimbleby.

Doesn't have her own Wiki page but she'd be a good bet for a paragraph here or there and DDP points.

Born 1913 (I think).

Could've kept that to yourself, couldn't you? ;)

R Dean Taylor second white guy - the first being Neil Young - to sign to Motown. 69 this year but the received wisdom in our office was that he was dead.

I mean, he hasn't played the Maryport Jazz Festival, like Dionne Warwick did not too long ago.

R Dean Taylor second white guy - the first being Neil Young - to sign to Motown. 69 this year but the received wisdom in our office was that he was dead.

I mean, he hasn't played the Maryport Jazz Festival, like Dionne Warwick did not too long ago.

R Dean Taylor is the main man!

For some entirely unfounded reason I'd always thought Dave Brubeck a gonner. He isn't. In fact the 84 year old king of cool jazz is gigging this sunday in Florida, which greatly reduces the chances of me going.

George Shearing, older and much less healthy than yer man Brubeck is still gannin' as well. Old George would be a much better deadpool pick, probably.

Albert Hofmann! Shine on, you crazy diamond!

My theory is that all that acid is what kept him going <_<

The acid must have worked similar to a preservative. Geez we should use it on apples or something!

Frank Windsor

"Watt?" I hear you say. Not surprised particularly, just that he's been off the radar for some time. Now in his 81st year! I see a couple of people have picked him on the DDP.

It seems Bob Block, creator of Rentaghost is still alive, can't find a d.o.d for him anyway, can't find much about him at all which probably doesn't bode well for obits but you never know.

It seems Bob Block, creator of Rentaghost is still alive, can't find a d.o.d for him anyway, can't find much about him at all which probably doesn't bode well for obits but you never know.

Take a look at this link Handy, http://www.bob-block-scriptwriter.co.uk/.

It still seems to be under construction, however, it gives you a pretty good idea that he is getting on in years.

Rentaghost was one of my all time favourite kids shows, It still makes me giggle now...then again im just a big kid.

Take a look at this link Handy, http://www.bob-block-scriptwriter.co.uk/.

It still seems to be under construction, however, it gives you a pretty good idea that he is getting on in years.

Rentaghost was one of my all time favourite kids shows, It still makes me giggle now...then again im just a big kid.

Thanks LFN. I loved Rentaghost too, most of the cast seem to be dead now sadly, though I think Mr Perkins is hanging on in there.

Rentaghost...From Wiki, so do not blame me for inaccuracies

• Michael Staniforth - Timothy Claypole (dead 1987 of The Aids)
  • Edward Brayshaw - Harold Meaker (dead 1990 of hapless chumpery)
  • Ann Emery - Ethel Meaker (sister of Dick of that ilk. Alive apparently)
  • Anthony Jackson - Fred Mumford (1976-1978) "He died suddenly on 27th November 2006, having been taken ill during rehearsals of "Waiting for Godot". Hopefully he wasn't playing Godot, that would have been a long performance.
  • Michael Darbyshire - Hubert Davenport (1976-1978) (Old Victorian ghost, Died 1979)
  • Molly Weir - Hazel the McWitch (1977-1984) (dead 2004, surfeit of shortbread)
  • Sue Nicholls - Nadia Popov (1981-1984) (Still very much alive and in Coronation St)
  • Christopher Biggins - Adam Painting (1978-1983; intermittently) (Very much alive)
  • Hal Dyer - Rose Perkins (1978-1984) (Apparently still alive, and a member of the On the Buses fan club)
  • Jeffrey Segal - Arthur Perkins (1978-1984) (Alive)
  • Lynda La Plante - Tamara Novek (1980) (as Lynda Marchal) (Alive and cranking yet more out potboiler crime series)
  • William Perrie, John Asquith - Dobbin the Pantomime Horse (Ah, who f*****g cares)

• Like 1