Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive - myself. I think my liver has finally packed up after this weekend. My skin is yellow, my tongue is white, my bowels are looser than Jodie Marsh's minge, I have double vision and am not sure where I live. I'd definitely get an obit in my local paper too, does that count?

You should've taken me up on that offer of hangin' with my very cool gang and watching Swindon Town take on Carlisle United yesterday. Mebbe we'd have got you out into the winter sunshine and off the pop for 90 minutes.

Oh aye, and driving home I heard an interview with the sprightly 81 year old Al Martino, who is still alive, obviously.

• Like 1

Edmund Hockridge, 89, former next door neighbour and good mate of Ernie Wise and - despite his UK residency for many years - claimable as Canadian and worth an extra CPDP point.

Speaking of Morecambe and Wise, Eddie Braban, who wrote the best of their scripts, is still alive, aged 77.

So is Ann Hamilton a regular co-star in their BBC shows.

and

John Ammonds (b 1924), a regular producer for the pair who got an MBE in 1975.

Someone mentioned Chomsky in one of the other threads and I'm ashamed to admit I'd forgotten he was still with us. Eugene Nida is another significant (there's that word again) name in lingustic theory and will be 95 next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Nida

Italian screenwriter Tullio Pinelli will be 100 this week. He worked alongside legendary director Federico Fellini and also collaborated with Deathlist favourite Dino De Laurentiis.

The Sweet Life is over for Signor Pinelli. A unique DDP hit for A Pelican in the Wilderness, should the English-speaking world acknowledge his passing.

Italian screenwriter Tullio Pinelli will be 100 this week. He worked alongside legendary director Federico Fellini and also collaborated with Deathlist favourite Dino De Laurentiis.

The Sweet Life is over for Signor Pinelli. A unique DDP hit for A Pelican in the Wilderness, should the English-speaking world acknowledge his passing.

UK obit for Tullio Pinelli. The Guardian wouldn't let a bewildered pelican down.

Ah good - I was going to update the site tonight for this, but I'll hang on as if Jade Goody does indeed go on or before Wednesday or Thursday, it'll be slightly easier for me to update the site all in one. If the bald one hangs on, I'll update the site Wednesday..

Arthur Herzog, who wrote "The Swarm", the novel on which that awful film was based.

Arthur Herzog, who wrote "The Swarm", the novel on which that awful film was based.

Any relation to Werner?

For the lazy among us, and in case it vanishes ...

1901 - Eric Clavering

1904 - Doris Eaton-Travis

1905 - Carl Esmond, Charles Lane and Lilian Oldland

1906 - Barbara Kent

1907 - Leon Askin, Norah Baring, Dorothy Boyd, Anne Grey, Emily Perry and Renee St Cyr

1908 - Eddie Albert, Dorothy Bartlam, Sir John Mills and Ford Rainey

1909 - Marguerite Allan, Bruce Bennett, Victoria Hopper, Luise Rainer, Gloria Stuart and Carla Laemmle

1910 - Constance Cummings, Griffith Jones, Marc Lawrence, Al Lewis, Artie Shaw, Simone Simon, Anita Page, Mary Jackson, Edmundo Ros and Geoffrey Toone

Perry turned 100 the other day. Maybe this thread can be merged somewhere else, but I figured it might be the best place to mention it.

By the way, that post was almost three years ago and, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Lane, Kent, Perry, Bartlam (at least according to IMDb), Allan (ditto), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ros are still alive.

Claverling, Oldland, Baring, Boyd, and Grey were already dead at the time of the discussion too.

I just happened to be thinking about this and it happens to be exactly one year since my last update (barring the leap year) so, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Kent, Bartlam (apparentely she was alive at least as recently as March 2007), Allan (same caveat as last time), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ross are still alive - we only lost Lane and Perry over the year, perhaps a good survival rate given their ages.

One year later and there were even fewer casualties: in fact, only one: Anita Page.

I'll throw in a topical one for Wimbledon fortnight: former Wimbledon and US Open winner Jack Kramer. I remember when he used to do the BBC commentaries alongside Dan Maskell, but he's dropped off my radar, so when I heard him mentioned earlier this week I wondered "when did he die?" only to discover he hasn't!

Billy Lee Riley, 75 and apparently still active. Gigs page for 2009 won't load though.

Suffering from stage 4 bone cancer. You'd have to check with Dr DDT, but I'm guessing that's not good.

Brit obit? Doubtful, I'd imagine.

Don't bet against the Brit obit, a seminal and mucho under-rated figure, therefore highly popular with anorak music journalists. He had the right mates at the right time, recorded for Sun in the fifties and his band were an unofficial house band for some Sun acts.

Ertugrul Osman V, patriarch of the Ottoman dynasty, 93 going on 94.

An article about the above came to my attention if anyone cares:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/realesta...;pagewanted=all

Sounds like he'll be around for a while yet... no news on Habsburg though...

Ertugrul Osman has died.

Noticed in the birthdays listed over the weekend in the paper that mounaineer Joe Brown is 79 and film director Arthur Penn is 87.

Richard O'Sullivan :(

<_< If you call that living!

On a serious note, Dickie surely has to be the replacement as the mascot DL pick when the cheap wine and over-abundance of cancer causing sunshine on the Algarve finally does for Dunn.

Richard O'Sullivan :(

<_< If you call that living!

On a serious note, Dickie surely has to be the replacement as the mascot DL pick when the cheap wine and over-abundance of cancer causing sunshine on the Algarve finally does for Dunn.

I second that, but Dunn has a few mles left on the clock I reckon. He's 90 next year!

Edith Shain, the woman being kissed in the famous Alfred Eisenstaedt VJ Day photograph.

No way famous enough for UK I'd think, but interesting nonetheless I think.

Dead. I think she may well get a UK obit though.

Edit: And she has. Points for Naked Florida Gravediggers.

Edith Shain, the woman being kissed in the famous Alfred Eisenstaedt VJ Day photograph.

No way famous enough for UK I'd think, but interesting nonetheless I think.

Dead. I think she may well get a UK obit though.

Edit: And she has. Points for Naked Florida Gravediggers.

Blimey, you're on form!

Misses Wellman(Debra Mooney) from Roseanne.

I thought she was an actress in her 60s whe she appeared on Roseanne 20 years ago but she was only 43 at the time.