DevonDeathTrip

Leonard Nimoy

Rushed to the hospital for chest pains.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/leonard-nimoy-rushed-to-hospital-star-trek-legend-reportedly-suffering-severe-chest-pains-10066465.html

I have to admit, when I was very small, Star Trek always freaked me out.

Was it the full face of the alien in the closing credits?

Actually, I just happened to turn it on during a scene where somebody was beheading someone.

I am still trying to work out which episode featured a beheading (I am by no means a Trek expert. I am mostly familiar with the films.) RadGuy or Bibliogryphon, any idea what the episode was called?

Bread and Circuses.?

I think that was the only episode I've ever watched of Star Trek, but to be honest I don't even remember there being a beheading in it.

• Like 1

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/leonard-nimoy-rushed-to-hospital-star-trek-legend-reportedly-suffering-severe-chest-pains-10066465.html

Actually, I just happened to turn it on during a scene where somebody was beheading someone.

I am still trying to work out which episode featured a beheading (I am by no means a Trek expert. I am mostly familiar with the films.) RadGuy or Bibliogryphon, any idea what the episode was called?

Bread and Circuses.?

I think that was the only episode I've ever watched of Star Trek, but to be honest I don't even remember there being a beheading in it.

I don't think that wasn't the same episode ... I was very small also, so I don't really remember if it was a beheading or being stabbed some other part of the body, but it scared the crap out of me!

• Like 1

Bread and Circuses.?

I don't think that wasn't the same episode ... I was very small also, so I don't really remember if it was a beheading or being stabbed some other part of the body, but it scared the crap out of me!

I don't remember anything particularly graphic in the orignial series but it doesn't mean that Star Trek was not capable of being controversal the first inter-racial kiss on US TV was on Star Trek.

• Like 1

Bread and Circuses.?

I've only watched one episode and part of one of the films. They showed one of the films at our school when the boiler broke down, so they'd wheel a television in to the assembly hall and let us watch a film while we waited for our parents to come and collect us. I never really understood the appeal behind Star Trek. At the time I was more into Dr. Who.

• Like 2

Bread and Circuses.?

Does this scene ring any bells?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLXGpt6tVwI#t=2712

• Like 1

I've never watched it in any shape or form. Ever.

• Like 1

Bread and Circuses.?

I've only watched one episode and part of one of the films. They showed one of the films at our school when the boiler broke down, so they'd wheel a television in to the assembly hall and let us watch a film while we waited for our parents to come and collect us. I never really understood the appeal behind Star Trek. At the time I was more into Dr. Who.

Those of you who haven't watched it are very blessed. :) I don't really understand the appeal either but I once spoke to a bloke I work with who is a hardcore Trekkie and he said the appeal lies in the fact that the show presents lots of (scientific and philosophical) ideas. In other words, you have to look past the wooden acting, terrible pacing, complete lack of character development, plywood sets, cheap effects and hackneyed dialogue and just focus on the ideas and then, and only then, can you get something out of it. :P

For the record, I was more into Blake's 7. For all its own faults of cheap sets, lousy special effects and campiness, it actually had strong dialogue, characters that developed as the story progressed and lots of drama.

If I just want to read ideas, I will go and read an academic paper. I don't need Bill Shatner to act it out for me.

Those of you who haven't watched it are very blessed. :) I don't really understand the appeal either but I once spoke to a bloke I work with who is a hardcore Trekkie and he said the appeal lies in the fact that the show presents lots of (scientific and philosophical) ideas. In other words, you have to look past the wooden acting, terrible pacing, complete lack of character development, plywood sets, cheap effects and hackneyed dialogue and just focus on the ideas and then, and only then, can you get something out of it. :P

For the record, I was more into Blake's 7. For all its own faults of cheap sets, lousy special effects and campiness, it actually had strong dialogue, characters that developed as the story progressed and lots of drama.

If I just want to read ideas, I will go and read an academic paper. I don't need Bill Shatner to act it out for me.

Ouch.

I'm not a hardcore Trekkie, but I'm fond of Star Trek. The movies are on average shite, I'll give you that. The Piccard series I really like. The spin-offs I ignored, they're awful.

The first runs have all the faults you name and some. A few times a month I watch an episode of what Trekkies reverently call The Original Series. Most episodes I recognise from earlier TV runs. Well into the 70s Star Trek was the only scifi I saw on the Dutch box. Blake's 7 was imported from the BBC, but broadcast at a time at which I was supposed to be in bed. The Doctor was imported much later. So by Hobson's choice I've seen almost the lot of them and I still like the old episodes. Yes, it's cheaply made tripe, but cheaply made tripe that touched the imagination of a child growing up with Gemini and Apollo.

Your parting shot I agree with. I have a few friends who buy into that pseudo-philosophical crap. One, I'm embarrassed to say, dresses up in a Klingon suit to visit conventions.

• Like 1

Ouch.

I'm not a hardcore Trekkie, but I'm fond of Star Trek. The movies are on average shite, I'll give you that. The Piccard series I really like. The spin-offs I ignored, they're awful.

The first runs have all the faults you name and some. A few times a month I watch an episode of what Trekkies reverently call The Original Series. Most episodes I recognise from earlier TV runs. Well into the 70s Star Trek was the only scifi I saw on the Dutch box. Blake's 7 was imported from the BBC, but broadcast at a time at which I was supposed to be in bed. The Doctor was imported much later. So by Hobson's choice I've seen almost the lot of them and I still like the old episodes. Yes, it's cheaply made tripe, but cheaply made tripe that touched the imagination of a child growing up with Gemini and Apollo.

Your parting shot I agree with. I have a few friends who buy into that pseudo-philosophical crap. One, I'm embarred to say, dresses up in a Klingon suit to visit conventions.

To be fair, my work colleague says that is another aspect of the show's appeal: he likes to imagine the Star Trek universe as an alternative future in which NASA's funding had been maintained at 1960s levels.

Also, to balance out my above statements, there are a few episodes of the show I really like: Where No Man Has Gone Before, Dagger of the Mind, Conscience of the King and Errand of Mercy spring to mind.

Of the films, I like The Motion Picture (in a poor-man's-2001 way) and Voyage Home (as a light crowd-pleaser with its heart in the right place.) I liked Into Darkness more than most people too: it wasn't great but at least there was some attempt at commentary about the world today, which is more than you can say about most commercial blockbusters.

I could never take to Next Generation at all, though the acting from Stewart and Spiner was much better than anything in the original show. I saw a few episodes with very questionable ethics indeed: "Pen Pals" where they think it is a good idea to mind-wipe a little girl's memories to preserve their prime directive, "Where Silence Has Lease" which advocates blind obedience to authority, even when that authority makes mistakes that puts everyone at risk and "Tapestry" which advocates you have to be a pushy, aggressive bastard to get anywhere in life. :(

I only saw one or two episodes of Voyager and based on that, the show seems to be pure cheese. I liked the first season of Enterprise and it is probably my favourite Trek in that it has more of a pioneering, space exploration feel and less pontificating pseudo-philosophical bollocks. The script writing goes downhill in Season 2 though so I stopped watching half-way through that. Because the show wasn't performing well, they apparently changed direction after that and made it into a gung-ho, super-Americanised military escapade with the Enterprise crew hunting down and killing the Taliban Suliban and another group called the Xindi who do a Sep 11 style attack on Earth. :(:(:(

Also, to be fair, I grew up post-Star Wars, so the ropey effects, plywood Enterprise bridge (with those gaudy red hand rails) and slow pacing of TOS were never going to cut it for me compared to the lived-in world of the SW universe with the detailed Millennium Falcon cockpit and fast pace of SW. Hell, as cheap as it looks now, even the Scorpio's bridge from B7, with its corrugated iron computer desk shells (someone told me once they were cut up bus shelters) and BBC micros standing in for flight computers looked a lot more real than the Enterprise. Also, compare 1960s Star Trek to Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner which was made around the same time. The ethical and philosophical ideas in Pat's series are way, way more mature than those in Trek and the production values are superior in every way.

Never even seen the 2nd episode of Family Guy?

Nope. Nor the first.

• Like 1

So who do we think will be the next major Trek cast member to die (from any version of Trek)? Shat's the obvious choice but apparently Avery Brooks (from Deep Space 9) is meant to be just about certifiable and Stephen Collins (Decker) has that child abuse scandal hanging over him. None of the others from the original series are getting any younger either. Chekov's real life son died and Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) is looking very old now.

Nope. Nor the first.

Here, just watch this. It will teach you everything about Trek you ever need to know:

• Like 1

Nope. Nor the first.

Here, just watch this. It will teach you everything about Trek you ever need to know:

Spock should have been in Lord Of The Rings with those ears. A missed opportunity.

So who do we think will be the next major Trek cast member to die (from any version of Trek)? Shat's the obvious choice but apparently Avery Brooks (from Deep Space 9) is meant to be just about certifiable and Stephen Collins (Decker) has that child abuse scandal hanging over him. None of the others from the original series are getting any younger either. Chekov's real life son died and Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) is looking very old now.

Walter Koenig is probably the best bet because he has already had two heart attacks.

Pity because I really like him especially in Babylon 5

At least he tried, I'll give him some credit for that.

I missed the main part of the funeral for a friend of the family a couple of years ago. We were due to play in Des Moines that evening which is a 4-5 hour drive from Minneapolis. I went to the funeral home to pay my respects then left shortly before the service began.

Oh fuxsayk leave it to a guest to open up this casket.

SC

• Like 1

One of the few deaths of stars who I will miss...I just finished watching the Original Series and the first 4 movies..

Hmm...was that directed at me, Sir Creep?

I am registered and before you at that, I'm just not nearly as wordy or opinionated.

LLAP

• Like 2

I am registered and before you at that, I'm just not nearly as wordy or opinionated.

LLAP

you dont refer to yourself in the third person either!

LLAP

you dont refer to yourself in the third person either!

I only do that once I a while. You don't like my prima donna speak, Paul.

I disagree we are all opinionated. What sense is taking one's opinions to the grave? Let me out, I say! And no matter what you say, own it like a boss.

SC not in third person

PS: I don't believe so. I believe it was a Guest posted on this dead man's thread. If it was you then the shoe fits. Make sure they're thick-soled cuz one might get butthurt wearing thin-soled ones around here. At least when Sir Creep is about (ahh dammit third person).