Guest fwheels1

Dead Losses (2004)

Guest fwheels1

Being a new user, is anyone aware that MLB Player Tug McGraw who won two World Series (one with the mircle Mets 1969 and then with the Philadelphia Phillies 1980) has died? He passed Jan 5th 2004 from brain cancer.

This fact was reported on this forum a few days ago.

As nice as it would have been to pick him we dont think he would have met the famousness criteria in the UK.

Cheers

Well, if deaths always happen in 3's, place your bets now. With two champion cyclists pegging-out this week, Marco Pantani, suspected drugs o/d, and Johan Sermon, heart failure at 21, the choice is yours.

DWB ;)

Good tip DWB - these guys have been dropping like flies for years. The problem is identifying the one who's climbed his last mountain.

I recall the deaths are usually completely unpredictable.

Perhaps we should look for a pro cyclist whos clearly been taking drugs...

[hasty research]

Oh... that didnt narrow it down at all.

So Les Gray, the lead singer with 70's glam-rock band Mud has given up the ghost. It turns out he had throat cancer which he blamed on his 50 smokes a day habit, and had opted not to have his voicebox removed - presumably so he wouldn't croak - How wrong you can be! No surprises then when he died of A HEART ATTACK! What a shame this information didn't come to our attention 2 months ago. I do believe he was another Jock - what is it about the Scots at the moment? Anyway, if you are interested you can read more about it by following this link.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2565389

DWB ;)

With over 100 of them off the tour in the last 10 years, there seems to be a slight bias towards those drug filled and either towards the end of their career or recently retired - my money'd be on Richard Virenque as the next winner of the black jersey.

Guest Guest_No Hope

Has no-one noticed that the lead singer of Mud (Les Gray) died today?

The irony was: "Doctors wanted to remove Gray's voicebox as part of his treatment, but he opted for chemotherapy instead in an effort to save his voice and career"

And I was just waiting for another hit like Tiger Feet

Guest Guest_No Hope

Apologies to DWB - I didn't notice your erlier post

Apology accepted - I don't suppose you know if Les was Scottish? A friend of mine now thinks he might be a Brum - I could have been doing our Northern cousins a diservice there.

DWB ;)

Well, he's definitely in the mud now ...

does he count as a miss??

"Actor Richard Marner appeared in films such as The African Queen

Actor Richard Marner, who played German officer Colonel Von Strohm in the BBC TV series 'Allo 'Allo, has died at the age of 82, his agent Lynda Ronan said.

Marner also appeared in several films including The African Queen, alongside Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn, and the Bond film You Only Live Twice."

love and kisses

little sister

Mais we, c'est un miss absolutement

Guest Arnold

In fairness, I don't think the committee could have predicted this one. Hubert may have been ancient but he was the sprightliest octogenarian around. He had a very young wife and two young kids who have just come out of their teens. And to hear him on Radio 2, or rather "Wireless Two" as he always refered to it on air, (CDs were always "shaving mirrors") he didn't sound a day over 50. He was as fit as a fiddle with a razor sharp mind. The Beeb have lost two of its greatest voices in the last few days, which is a pity.

However, it is also a pity that Hubert hadn't worked his way onto the list.

He would have been appalled at this web-sit. "Frightful taste dear boy!"

Guest Pining For The Fjords

It could turn out to be a bad year for veteran broadcasters.

Alan "Fluff" Freeman, David Jacobs and Brian Matthews are probably stocking up on the multi-vitamins as we speak.

I'm shell-shocked at news of this oversight - but perhaps his 91 year owner is now worthy of consideration

The owner would not meet the famousness test, I fear.

Where can you buy tortoise hormones and DNA these days?

There I was surfing the web when I come across an article about Robert Sangster the Race Horse owner / trainer being "gravely ill". Not one to pass over a research opportunity I investigated . . . only to find out he died yesterday (I think). I don't consider it a missed opportunity, he probably wasn't ill 3 months ago, but nevertheless a bit irritating.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/08/1081326841502.html

Back to the research . . .

DWB :unsure:

and we could have waved him off to the great winner's circle in the sky with the parting message "Sangster the Memories".

Obituary: 'Allo 'Allo star Richard Marner. P33, The Times, today.

Why such a huge gap in publishing his obituary?

Don't be too Sang-uine about it.

:unsure:

Will you two cut out the Frechie crap. This isn't some sad chatroom for Francophiles with no life you know.

It's intellectual forum for other people with no life.

;):unsure::P

Sorry Yeti, but I feel I have to correct you. This is an intellectual forum ABOUT people with no life.

DWB :unsure: