Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Paul Daniels

A key that open many locks is a good key.

A lock that can be opened by many keys is a shitty lock!

• Like 2

Too deep for here.

Whenever I see Paul Daniels or Debbie I am reminded of that wonderful line from Mrs Merton

I think this is as good a place as any to have a bit of a rant about this whole "what first attracted you to multi-millionaire Paul Daniels" thing that gets trotted out ad infinitum whenever he is mentioned, or whenever two people with an age gap and a wealth gap get married these days. So here we go:

1) When they first met, Debbie had more money than he did (see her interview in the Telegraph a while back). He was preparing for his first major TV show at the age of 40 and had been a struggling entertainer for many years, so was nowhere near being a mllionaire or multi-millionaire. She was only 21 but had had a successful dancing career up to that point, including a stint in Tehran at the Iranian national ballet. She was a graduate of the Royal Ballet School, and is from a middle class family, so not short of money.

2) They got married 9 years after they met. So hardly like Kylie (just engaged to a 28yo she's known a few months) or Stephen Fry, or Catherine Zeta-Jones or hundreds of others.

3) They're still together after 28 years of marriage, and knowing each other for 37 years. Probably longer than 95% of showbiz marriages.

4) Caroline Aherne, denizen of many DDP teams (who was Mrs Merton and in 1995 did the show with McGee) had herself just got married to Peter Hook, bassist of New Order in 1994. Let's for the sake of argument, call him "famous multi-millionaire bassist" Peter Hook, and ask what first attracted her.

5) Caroline Aherne's marriage to Peter Hook ended in 1997, after 3 years. it is not known how much of his estate she took in the divorce.

So what is the point of this rant? I'm not entirely sure. I don't know either of them, perhaps they are both horrible unpleasant people. They said both the Mrs Merton show and the later Louis Theroux show gave them big career boosts. So it obviously doesn't bother them very much.

But it bothers me because the whole thing is just so ridiculous and factually wrong, and every time I see it on my computer screen in the comments sections I want to put my foot through the screen and send the bill to Caroline Aherne. Perhaps some people feel the same about whenever Captain Pugwash is mentioned, some smart arse comes along and says "haha snort snort did you know they had a character called Roger the Cabin Boy and another one called Seaman Staines snort snort just imagine eh lolz" when of course none of those characters were actually in the programme, it was made up later by someone having a laugh.

/end of rant.

I may be wrong ;) but I'm fairly sure that the Mrs Merton show was a spoof. In other words, it was a joke.

That said, the line may well be "trotted out ..... whenever two people with an age gap and a wealth gap get married" - but often the accompanying derision is well deserved.

Fucking hell, Id hate to see the rant over something, like, important!!! :D

I always thought Wpeout was quite good.

http://ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Wipeout

Great show. Enjoyed it more with Bob Monkhouse presenting though. He always seemed an odd choice...

Bob Monkhouse could make any pile of shit tv show into a great watch. He had the knack

Indeed he did.. and he's dead, as will Paul Daniels be.. around April Fools day by my reckoning. :burnash:

Cutting satire on multi-parent relations and offspring related sexism.

Why does everyone hate Paul Daniels so much, wasn't he just a telly magician?

Guest Guest

sadly for us it looks like Paul has cheated Deathlist.Looks like he is already in the final stages so could have weeks or even days to go.He wont make it to next years list that's for sure ! Then again who thought Jimmy Carter would beat h is cancer.That wasn't terminal though

One of my finest Twitter moments (in a different guise to my 'normal' account) was being called "Seriously mental... insensitive and downright bad taste Tweeter" by Paul Daniels :party:

I don't quite understand all the hatred either. He's a fantastic magician and his TV shows were always entertaining.

• Like 3

One of my finest Twitter moments (in a different guise to my 'normal' account) was being called "Seriously mental... insensitive and downright bad taste Tweeter" by Paul Daniels :party:

I don't quite understand all the hatred either. He's a fantastic magician and his TV shows were always entertaining.

I think it has something to do with this.

Daniels has stated that he has very little sympathy with the homeless since, in his words, "I was always trying to be best, to get ahead of the other guy. And I can't say why, I just knew I could ... I saw Peter Stringfellow on TV one time, and we both have a little, but not very much, sympathy for the homeless, because both of us came from very poor backgrounds, got off our arses and grafted

I have never seen why he is so disliked.Yes he is outspoken and a bit corny but no more than your average celebrity.I reckon he will go over the Summer.Looks pretty grim indeed!

I have never seen why he is so disliked.

One word.

Wizbit

• Like 2

Cutting satire on multi-parent relations and offspring related sexism.

Why does everyone hate Paul Daniels so much, wasn't he just a telly magician?

I write this as someone who used to quite like his programmes (Wizbit aside) and didn't really mind him until he appeared to be a bit of a sore loser on Strictly.

I think it's partly because he's a fairly safe person to dislike. If you mention that you don't like Daniels you're not going to get too many people arguing with you like you would if you said you disliked Michael Palin or David Attenborough or other "national treasure" types.

It's also partly jealousy. Here's a man who is short in stature, short on looks and charm and with a voice which makes him sound like a constipated canary and yet he managed to have a top television show, earn loads and pull reasonably attractive women. People tuning in on a Saturday night are not going to care that he spent years grafting in working men's clubs, they're just going to see an ugly bloke on telly and think "fuck off."

Also, while his shows may have been entertaining for a while they tended to outstay their welcome and he tried to foist Martin Daniels on us too. Plus he just seems to be a bit arrogant without any charm to back it up.

Oh and there was that Heineken advert too where he butchered a Carpenters song, but I'm probably the only person who gives a shit about that.

• Like 2

IIRC, Barbara Kelly/Braden used to be quite fucking awful to him when they both appeared on the same episodes of Blankety Blank.

Wasn't just the public that didn't like him then.

Quite right MPFC....and they never did find Glen Miller either

Paul Daniels once made an aircraft disappear!

Just saying...

I'm probably missing some clever joke here but surely it was David Copperfield that made the jet disappear?

Just saying...

I'm probably missing some clever joke here but surely it was David Copperfield that made the jet disappear?

Didn´t Amelia Earhart precede both?

• Like 1

Just saying...

Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAI_Lsor8vk

Paul Daniels made an elephant disappear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOuquXpePU

Just saying...

are you saying that he could be the man responsible for flight 370.
  • Like 2

I always rather liked his "Bunko Booth" section, where revealed some of the vaudeville tricks and cons...

Just saying...

Paul Daniels did something similar but it was a Cessna as I recall. BBC budgets and the like.

Heres Mr Daniels in his prime. It's the last 30 secs when he does what all male celebrities did on Blankety Blank at the end. Stood up and pulled the blond into his face for a "kiss"........

Even Wogan wants to hit him with his microphone...

Mind you it's interesting to see that only Daniels and Watling are still alive from that panel. If I was Watling I'd be worried.....

Heres Mr Daniels in his prime. It's the last 30 secs when he does what all male celebrities did on Blankety Blank at the end. Stood up and pulled the blond into his face for a "kiss"........

Even Wogan wants to hit him with his microphone...

Mind you it's interesting to see that only Daniels and Watling are still alive from that panel. If I was Watling I'd be worried.....

Bill Tidy is still alive.

The sexism is in that episode is unbelievable by modern standards.

The sexism is in that episode is unbelievable by modern standards.

That level of sexism still existed even in to the 90s and I'm sure it still exists toda (in some places)