Dead Ringos

Dead Pool Ethics

Feel like enough time has passed for me to admit that I was very close to picking my uncle on this year's DDP (he'd get a local BBC radio mention no problem) but backed out at the last minute because that would probably have been too much even for me.

Did you ask him whether he had any objection?

Also could you name him so those of us not related can pick him free of moral issues?

Yeah, good points above. There are those - like Keith Richards - who appear happy to be picked hereabouts.

EH? I must have missed him say that?

On topic - does anyone have certain people to whom they have absolutely no familial connection, no work or friendship etc connection and is not a famous for being ill type who they won't pick out of admiration and or it just feels wrong?

Also this year someone in my league chose Maggie Smith and if they had turned in that list I person rather than email I'd have beaten them with the most dexterous piece of furniture that was handy. Maggie Smith! The fahking AUDACITY!!

I play to win and it's hard to imagine not choosing someone you know would score. My deepest respect would probably be toward musicians, an currently no names of note (pun intended), but if someone of stature of say Sir Elton came along in his second year of stage 3b lung cancer diagnosis, it'd be hard for me to write his name down. In the end I would I think, albeit regrettably.

Feel like enough time has passed for me to admit that I was very close to picking my uncle on this year's DDP (he'd get a local BBC radio mention no problem) but backed out at the last minute because that would probably have been too much even for me.

Also could you name him so those of us not related can pick him free of moral issues?

Yeah, good points above. There are those - like Keith Richards - who appear happy to be picked hereabouts.

On topic - does anyone have certain people to whom they have absolutely no familial connection, no work or friendship etc connection and is not a famous for being ill type who they won't pick out of admiration and or it just feels wrong?

Currently, Norman Winton.

FAO Maryport, Mr Richards and the Deathlist. He was apparently on some other Deathlist in the 70s and is mixing them up due to all the drugs. Or something.

Thanks

I think I've answered this before but Tom Lehrer, Gene W!lder and Tim Curry are people I've toyed with putting in but just couldn't bring myself to and of those who are no longer with us Oliver Postgate and Humphrey Lyttleton. I doubt I'll ever put Kate Bush in one either but I like to think I have a few years to go before I have to think about that.

Of those currently in my DDP Team I will feel bad when Brian Cant and Hywel Bennet die but not enough to exclude them.

There is something to be said for being a fan of people who are long dead as you don't to experience your idols dying.

All very fascinating answers, it seems many of you see musicians and actors in a certain light.

Noticed I posed the question but didn't answer, for me it's any member of Reel Big Fish or Fairport Convention.

• Like 1

Bernard Cribbins will never see the inside of one of my teams, but as he's immortal, its a moot point.

• Like 2

I'd definitely wimp out on Neil Young (because his eventual death genuinely bother me), that'd be about it, mind.

So, this seems a useful thread for an open question to people. Purely hypothetical, you understand.

Say you were a poster on the Deathlist forums, and you found out that a family friend who had been poorly for many years, not a household name but a certain obit, had now taken a turn for the worse and wasn't expected to live much longer. Say you were unwilling to pick this person in any deadpools as a result. Would you let the forum know their name?

So, this seems a useful thread for an open question to people. Purely hypothetical, you understand.

Say you were a poster on the Deathlist forums, and you found out that a family friend who had been poorly for many years, not a household name but a certain obit, had now taken a turn for the worse and wasn't expected to live much longer. Say you were unwilling to pick this person in any deadpools as a result. Would you let the forum know their name?

I tend to post everyone in the group anyway. So yes.

Damn sure I'd be picking them if they were my relation anyways, so my answer is 'yes'.

(Plus I'd tell them at New Year ;) )

• Like 2

I would pick them but wouldnt post their name out of privacy.

Probably not. I never said anything here about my friend who had been in Doctor Who until somebody else mentioned that he'd died. I don't think he had a QO, but that's beside the point. It depends who it is though. If I didn't like them much, I might. Or if I knew they wouldn't mind.

Is it generally know that they're in poor health or has the name not come up at all? If it's already out there I'd almost definitely mention that they've taken a turn for the worse.

If not I'm not sure, I'd probably share info on physical health but never on mental health.

Depends on the poorly person really.

Some might want their last times to be a private affair between friends and family, some might have a great roaring laugh at poolers entering dates on a sweep on their imminent demise.

It's not for posters here to make that judgement on their behalf imo.

Folk obviously in the public domain take their chances with the media of course...

Is it generally know that they're in poor health or has the name not come up at all? If it's already out there I'd almost definitely mention that they've taken a turn for the worse.

If not I'm not sure, I'd probably share info on physical health but never on mental health.

It's been publicly announced, but not in the papers.

I've much sympathy with Toast's view point above. I'll have a think... err, if this wasn't a hypothetical case, of course.

I wouldn't. Not sport

• Like 1

The hypothetical question has become academic, in a manner of speaking.

• Like 1

Or rather, "clerical"...

• Like 1

The hypothetical question has become academic, in a manner of speak

Ah. Condolences.

• Like 2

The hypothetical question has become academic, in a manner of speaking.

il_214x170.1060320117_4cug.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. Had to break the news to mum, not nice. Anyhow, that's life for you.

Just stumbled onto this thread while searching for search results for someone. I think my personal ethics for dead pooling  is kind of complicated, but it's developing as I'm finding my own identity. Anyways, while I would rather not pick anyone that is considered FFBI cause they generally aren't that interesting, I'm not sure if it's truly wrong to pick them. I think the ones that make me the most uncomfortable are the ones that are either so young that they should've been able to do much more or those that are publicized by the tabloids even though I'm not sure they would want the publicity. Children are obvious nos. The picks that would never make me pick them even if they were crucial to a title win however are those that I know personally. For example, there was a person last year who was reasonably well known from the church I go to, and they had liver cancer, yet I could never get myself to pick them for the deathlist cup even though their death was likely. If someone I knew got famous enough to be guaranteed a QO and they were terminally ill, I don't think I would ever have the gut to pick them cause it just wouldn't feel right for getting points for someone who I knew as a person...

Yeah, well I never mentioned the dying family friend in advance (though charon twigged quickly who it was), same as Toast never mentioned her pal. Likewise, I've not mentioned my old pal, who is BBC obit levels of fame, who is sadly rapidly deteriorating. Because, you know, it's quite sad to see, and fuck it, there's lot of other options for everyone here. And obviously wont be picking them either.

My ethics are fairly cemented: no weans, no "cancer mums", FFBI types need to have some interest in their own right. No ethics against picking death row folk, it just feels unsporting.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, msc said:

Yeah, well I never mentioned the dying family friend in advance (though charon twigged quickly who it was)

Think enough time has passed that I can say I actually had that name on my longlist before they died, due to unrelated public Twitter chatter. I'd have felt rude if I mentioned it when the death just happened.

9 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Think enough time has passed that I can say I actually had that name on my longlist before they died, due to unrelated public Twitter chatter. I'd have felt rude if I mentioned it when the death just happened.

Hey, it's not like I'd have issued a fatwa now. :D

• Haha 1