Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Herbert Lom

As for the age thing I can fairly well make clear that he was born in September. There's a certain air about us Septemberites. (and I'm part Austrian as well, so it's like as if he were almost a relative of mine if we were related which to the best of my knowledge we are not.)

Guest Mottys Mic

Other intersting roles for Mr Lom were

villain in Man from UNCLE film 'The Karate Killers'

Mr Van Lieden (villain) in Kenneth More classic 'Northwest Frontier'

Villain (pattern here?) in Elliot Gould/Cybil Shpeherd remake of 'The Lady Vanishes'

As mentioned in Dino's thread, poor Herbert has been forgotten about lately. After all of five minutes digging, the latest news is that he went out for Christmas dinner in November 2007 and sold his classic Jag last month. He needs to slow down a bit.

Ok, so Herbert survived his stint at Chelsea, but will managing Portsmouth do for him this year?

Ok, so Herbert survived his stint at Chelsea, but will managing Portsmouth do for him this year?

It obviously didn't do him for last year, but this year, we shall see.....

Another oft-forgotten role of Mr Lom's was as Christopher Walken's doctor in The Dead Zone (1983).

Herbert Lom came to me in a dream the other night. He did not look well and mentioned he would be having dinner with Peter Lorre and Paul Muni in a fortnight. I don't usually have premonitions but this might have been one since it is June.

• Like 1

Guest Scottie

I loved him in The Human Jungle. Lovely voice.

My father-in-law leant my daughter the DVD of the Ladykillers. Herbert is the only surviving member of the cast but my daughter (aged 16) loved it. Superb film. So gentle but wickedly funny

Sad news. A Shot in the Dark is one of my favourite comedies, and Lom is wonderful in that as Peter Sellers increasingly neurotic boss.

He's also quite good as Armstrong in the 70s adaption of And Then There Was None.

R.I.P I just saw his picture and he is nothing like the way i imagined him to look. His name sounds chinese to me for some reason but he is white.

R.I.P I just saw his picture and he is nothing like the way i imagined him to look. His name sounds chinese to me for some reason but he is white.

You haven't watched the Pink Panther movies or The Ladykillers then? His realm name is (was) Herbert Charles Angelo Kuchacevich ze Schluderpacheru. (Taken from the BBC obit page)

You haven't watched the Pink Panther movies or The Ladykillers then? His realm name is (was) Herbert Charles Angelo Kuchacevich ze Schluderpacheru. (Taken from the BBC obit page)

Why on Earth would one change such a wonderful name to Lom? The only reason I can think of is that the title makers of films charge extra when he's in it.

regards,

Hein

You're probably confused with Burt Kwouk who played Cato in the films...

• Like 1

You're probably confused with Burt Kwouk who played Cato in the films...

Your right I just googled him and burt's face was the face i was expecting to pop up when I googling Herbert lom.

At last, after a dry spell of almost 2 whole months the DL lull is over! Thanks Herbert :)

Shocking actual death footage!

Guest Guest

I return to deathlist after a months absence to this. I s this what it has all come to?

I return to deathlist after a months absence to this. I s this what it has all come to?

And just exactly who ARE you?

Guest Guest

My father-in-law leant my daughter the DVD of the Ladykillers. Herbert is the only surviving member of the cast but my daughter (aged 16) loved it. Superb film. So gentle but wickedly funny

Does your father in law have any DVDs of Margaret Thatcher he could lend your daughter by any chance? :)

'Kuchacevich ze Schluderpacheru' is actually the noise that Peter Sellers made every time he got toe-punted in the bollocks by Bert Kwouk.

• Like 2

Why on Earth would one change such a wonderful name to Lom? The only reason I can think of is that the title makers of films charge extra when he's in it.

Apparently, already knowing it was too long for even Czech movies, he, as the person with the longest surname, went through the local phone book to see who had the shortest surname. Apparently Lom means "quarry" in Czech. When I went on holiday to Prague, visiting quarries was not high up on my list, so I cannot verify if any of this is true.

• Like 1