harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Boxing Clever?

As was pointed out to me elsewhere, this means that only Maggie is left alive from Bjørge Lillelien's most famous piece of sports commentary.

Won't be long before the clean sweep.. :lol:

It's not like there is a curse of Bjørge Lillelien. Four of the eight were already dead when he said it.

Five, actually....only Diana, Henry Cooper and Maggie were alive at the time.

As was pointed out to me elsewhere, this means that only Maggie is left alive from Bjørge Lillelien's most famous piece of sports commentary.

Won't be long before the clean sweep.. :banghead:

It's not like there is a curse of Bjørge Lillelien. Four of the eight were already dead when he said it.

Five, actually....only Diana, Henry Cooper and Maggie were alive at the time.

You're right of course. For some reason I was confusing Eden with Macmillan

Former WBC Super Featherweight Champion Genaro Hernandez, 42, has been diagnosed with "a rare form" of cancer. This boxing forum says he's suffering from stage four cancer of the head and neck.

How many stages are there? If there are five, he's on the ropes but if there are 10, well he might just go the distance.

He put up a brave fight, but the Grim Reaper has landed the killer punch.

Genaro Hernandez Dies at 45.

Well done to the 11 teams who kept the faith on the DDP. I think this means Wormer, He's A Dead etc, etc is now in second place.

Do you think he'll get the obit? I put him on some American pools.

Former WBC Super Featherweight Champion Genaro Hernandez, 42, has been diagnosed with "a rare form" of cancer. This boxing forum says he's suffering from stage four cancer of the head and neck.

How many stages are there? If there are five, he's on the ropes but if there are 10, well he might just go the distance.

Well done to the 11 teams who kept the faith on the DDP. I think this means Wormer, He's A Dead etc, etc is now in second place.

Wormer, He's A Dead... is now in 3rd place, behind Daniel Faraday's Notebook and The Living End. DFN got Terry Jenner on May 25th, which gave him 8 points.

The Living End - 77

Daniel Faraday's Notebook - 57

Wormer, He's A Dead Man! - 52

Wormer, He's A Dead... is now in 3rd place, behind Daniel Faraday's Notebook and The Living End. DFN got Terry Jenner on May 25th, which gave him 8 points.

The Living End - 77

It's a bigger lead than that, with Ann McPherson getting the finger. The updated table will be up tonight...

The Living End - 77

It's a bigger lead than that, with Ann McPherson getting the finger. The updated table will be up tonight...

Oh Christ, I didn't know McPherson had passed.

Billy Costello

The former WBC Light Welterweight champion has died aged 55.

An article in the Independent about American boxing journalist George Kimball, who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer with a prognosis of "six weeks to two years".

George Kimball has died. He was on my DDP team... in 2009 and 2010.

An article in the Independent about American boxing journalist George Kimball, who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer with a prognosis of "six weeks to two years".

Bad luck to you, but good luck to Inigo, I Hope We Win seeing as how this propels him into 2nd place if I'm not mistaken.

Bad luck to you, but good luck to Inigo, I Hope We Win seeing as how this propels him into 2nd place if I'm not mistaken.

I'm a bit surprised that George Kimball hasn't seen any obit action. Banshees Scream may no longer post here, but as a keen student of deadpooling and someone who had the sense to pick Kimball on the DDP, I'm sure he's practically convulsing and foaming at the mouth waiting anxiously for the right obit to show up...

Well here it is (scroll right to the very bottom of the page :o )

Wladimir Klitschko Sr

The Klitschko brothers' father has died aged 64. A former colonel in the Soviet Air Force, he played a key role in the clean-up of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and had been suffering from cancer for a long time.

Ex-Heavyweight boxer Scott LeDoux, who's last professional fight was against Frank Bruno, has Lou Gehrig's Disease...

Unsurprisingly, the man nicknamed "The Fighting Frenchman" has surrendered. In addition to Bonkers Bruno, he also fought a rogues' gallery of one-time contenders in his tomato can career: Ken Norton, Gerrie Coetzee, in addition to the more impressive Larry Holmes and George Foreman.

Ex-Heavyweight boxer Scott LeDoux, who's last professional fight was against Frank Bruno, has Lou Gehrig's Disease...

Unsurprisingly, the man nicknamed "The Fighting Frenchman" has surrendered. In addition to Bonkers Bruno, he also fought a rogues' gallery of one-time contenders in his tomato can career: Ken Norton, Gerrie Coetzee, in addition to the more impressive Larry Holmes and George Foreman.

A unique hit for Toasted Brown Bread if the proper obit arrives.

A unique hit for Toasted Brown Bread if the proper obit arrives.

Here it is, from BBC News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14513607.stm

Oscar De La Hoya admissions.

oscar1-1.jpg

It appears he was pretty screwed up for a while, with coke & booze, suicidal etc, but now seems to be recovering.

Speaking of Frank Bruno...diary is strangely empty and the most recent news is from last year.

Speaking of Frank Bruno...diary is strangely empty and the most recent news is from last year.

I note from Wiki' that he has done a number of things this year:

In February 2011, Bruno made a brief guest appearance in an episode of the ITV comedy show, Harry Hill's TV Burp.

On 3 March 2011 Frank Bruno appeared as a guest at The Sirloin pub in Chingford, East London for a questions and answers session.

On 21 April 2011, Bruno appeared on the ITV 1 chatshow The Alan Titchmarsh Show, where he was quite candid about his previous health issues.

Frank completed the 2011 London marathon which is the 3rd marathon he has run successfully. He has also run numerous half marathons.

Hardly. He was in Watford only last week to open an event or home (something charity based anyhow) and looked very well. He's fine.

Out of intense boredom ("between work" periods of one's life are never the most action-packed times), I watched the 2009 documentary Facing Ali the other night. Fascinating film, and of some interest to deadpoolers being as of the ten figures interviewed about their fight with Cassius Clay, two have since carked it (Frazier and Cooper) and pretty much five of the other eight sound like they're going to drop dead at any moment. Great film for boxing fans and it doesn't shirk away from the fact that Ali was a fucking dickhead throughout a lot of the 60s and he got more than his fair share of questionable decisions.

Merely days after posting this to the movies thread, a third participant from the film has died: Ron Lyle, who lost by 11th round TKO to Ali in 1975, has died from a stomach ailment aged 70.

Being as that's three people out of ten dead in less than a year, you may wish to consider the remaining seven boxers as potentially at risk from the "curse of Facing Ali": George Chuvalo, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Earnie Shavers, Leon Spinks and Ernie Terrell.

Out of intense boredom ("between work" periods of one's life are never the most action-packed times), I watched the 2009 documentary Facing Ali the other night. Fascinating film, and of some interest to deadpoolers being as of the ten figures interviewed about their fight with Cassius Clay, two have since carked it (Frazier and Cooper) and pretty much five of the other eight sound like they're going to drop dead at any moment. Great film for boxing fans and it doesn't shirk away from the fact that Ali was a fucking dickhead throughout a lot of the 60s and he got more than his fair share of questionable decisions.

Merely days after posting this to the movies thread, a third participant from the film has died: Ron Lyle, who lost by 11th round TKO to Ali in 1975, has died from a stomach ailment aged 70.

Being as that's three people out of ten dead in less than a year, you may wish to consider the remaining seven boxers as potentially at risk from the "curse of Facing Ali": George Chuvalo, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Earnie Shavers, Leon Spinks and Ernie Terrell.

Is Muhammad Ali the new Gene Wilder?

Spinks in particular is in bad shape, although not quite at deaths door. Despite his relatively young age, he could well be gone before some of the others.

• Like 1