Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Rentaghost...From Wiki, so do not blame me for inaccuracies

Michael Darbyshire died in 1979, hence him not appearing in the second series. The others seem accurate though,oh and the Panto horse guys are alive, according to my better half they appeared in a recent Doctor Who Documentary

• Like 1

Balls! I remember that now. Ta Han.

Michael Derbyshire died in 1979, hence him not appearing in the second series. The others seem accurate though

I was mildly surprised to find that songwriters Richard and Robert Sherman are both still alive in their 80s. The names may not be immediately familiar, but the tunes will be:

The Bare Necessities, I Wanna Be Like You (Oo-oo), Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Chim Chim Cher-ee, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Truly Scrumptious and, er,

, among others.

I was mildly surprised to find that songwriters Richard and Robert Sherman are both still alive in their 80s. The names may not be immediately familiar, but the tunes will be:

The Bare Necessities, I Wanna Be Like You (Oo-oo), Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Chim Chim Cher-ee, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Truly Scrumptious and, er,

, among others.

Man, there's stuff on their CV that should be punishable, by death.

How dare you, Mary. For 'Hushabye Mountain' they can be forgiven anything.

I said 'stuff' not 'all.'

Did Dick Emery cover 'Hushabye Mountain' or am I confusing him with someone else?

Somebody at work swears it's on a Dick Emery album that he suffered hearing in his mum's car as a nipper.

Nah, this is getting too trivial, I'm away to another thread.

But - afore I go - Dick's sister, Anne, is still up and about and working once in a while.

Somebody at work swears it's on a Dick Emery album that he suffered hearing in his mum's car as a nipper.

Nah, this is getting too trivial, I'm away to another thread.

Oi, come back!! We've merely dipped a toe in the ocean of triviality.

Two of the more unlikely bedfellows in the Hushabye Mountain cover version stakes are mumsy actress Wendy Craig and Tindersticks pub singer Stuart Staples. The idea of the latter I find slightly disturbing.

As chance would have it, I once spent a very drunken night going through the full Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang songbook with Mr Staples.

Two of the more unlikely bedfellows in the Hushabye Mountain cover version stakes are mumsy actress Wendy Craig and Tindersticks pub singer Stuart Staples. The idea of the latter I find slightly disturbing.

As chance would have it, I once spent a very drunken night going through the full Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang songbook with Mr Staples.

I've never read a book while I was drunk in my life. That's just asking to be freaked out. No thanks.

I read just about everything else.

Italian screenwriter Tullio Pinelli will be 100 this week. He worked alongside legendary director Federico Fellini and also collaborated with Deathlist favourite Dino De Laurentiis.

Edward de Bono is still alive, B. 1933. Worth keeping an eye on I reckon cos if anyone could figure a way round death, it'd be him.

Sought after Serbs still very much alive. That's probably no surprise but the degree to which Karadzic in particular goes about his daily business - whatever that might be these days - is worth considering. There may, possibly, be some brave attempt to snatch him and heap justice on his head at some point. Don't bet on it, though.

For the lazy among us, and in case it vanishes ...

1901 - Eric Clavering

1904 - Doris Eaton-Travis

1905 - Carl Esmond, Charles Lane and Lilian Oldland

1906 - Barbara Kent

1907 - Leon Askin, Norah Baring, Dorothy Boyd, Anne Grey, Emily Perry and Renee St Cyr

1908 - Eddie Albert, Dorothy Bartlam, Sir John Mills and Ford Rainey

1909 - Marguerite Allan, Bruce Bennett, Victoria Hopper, Luise Rainer, Gloria Stuart and Carla Laemmle

1910 - Constance Cummings, Griffith Jones, Marc Lawrence, Al Lewis, Artie Shaw, Simone Simon, Anita Page, Mary Jackson, Edmundo Ros and Geoffrey Toone

Perry turned 100 the other day. Maybe this thread can be merged somewhere else, but I figured it might be the best place to mention it.

By the way, that post was almost three years ago and, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Lane, Kent, Perry, Bartlam (at least according to IMDb), Allan (ditto), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ros are still alive.

Claverling, Oldland, Baring, Boyd, and Grey were already dead at the time of the discussion too.

I just happened to be thinking about this and it happens to be exactly one year since my last update (barring the leap year) so, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Kent, Bartlam (apparentely she was alive at least as recently as March 2007), Allan (same caveat as last time), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ross are still alive - we only lost Lane and Perry over the year, perhaps a good survival rate given their ages.

I am pretty sure Bennett is also dead.

Remembered hearing something about it last year.

Right, but he was dead before the last update, so he wasn't included.

For the lazy among us, and in case it vanishes ...

1901 - Eric Clavering

1904 - Doris Eaton-Travis

1905 - Carl Esmond, Charles Lane and Lilian Oldland

1906 - Barbara Kent

1907 - Leon Askin, Norah Baring, Dorothy Boyd, Anne Grey, Emily Perry and Renee St Cyr

1908 - Eddie Albert, Dorothy Bartlam, Sir John Mills and Ford Rainey

1909 - Marguerite Allan, Bruce Bennett, Victoria Hopper, Luise Rainer, Gloria Stuart and Carla Laemmle

1910 - Constance Cummings, Griffith Jones, Marc Lawrence, Al Lewis, Artie Shaw, Simone Simon, Anita Page, Mary Jackson, Edmundo Ros and Geoffrey Toone

Perry turned 100 the other day. Maybe this thread can be merged somewhere else, but I figured it might be the best place to mention it.

By the way, that post was almost three years ago and, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Lane, Kent, Perry, Bartlam (at least according to IMDb), Allan (ditto), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ros are still alive.

Claverling, Oldland, Baring, Boyd, and Grey were already dead at the time of the discussion too.

I just happened to be thinking about this and it happens to be exactly one year since my last update (barring the leap year) so, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Kent, Bartlam (apparentely she was alive at least as recently as March 2007), Allan (same caveat as last time), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ross are still alive - we only lost Lane and Perry over the year, perhaps a good survival rate given their ages.

Also worth a mention that Ros is the only male from that list who's still alive.

Just discovered that Archie Norman, paediatrician and major contributor to medical research including this, is still breathing. Aged 96, but still a SHOO IN for a broadsheet obit.

Otto von Habsburg was 96 on Thursday. I'm betting he dies within a year, as his mother and grandmother (from whom he likely inherited his longevity) both died at 96.

Illustrator Pauline Baynes who worked with C S Lewis and J R Tolkein, alive and obit worthy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Baynes

Not anymore

Good job I didn't say alive and well then eh?

Karl Peglau, the chap who designed the Ampelmaenner is still going.

http://www.ampelmann.de/html/karl_peglau_english.html

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive - myself. I think my liver has finally packed up after this weekend. My skin is yellow, my tongue is white, my bowels are looser than Jodie Marsh's minge, I have double vision and am not sure where I live. I'd definitely get an obit in my local paper too, does that count?