lospalmas7

Pope Benedict XVI

An American Catholic priest met Pope Benedict the XVI a few weeks ago and claims he is in good health. In fact, he gushes that "“He is in fantastic health, fantastic health, and his mind is as sharp today and perhaps even sharper than when he was the great theologian and the great pope that we knew him as..." :huh::puke:

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/priest-swaps-clerical-hats-with-sharp-healthy-benedict-xvi

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=23223

I don't for one minute trust this report since it doesn't sound like this guy would ever dream of saying anything negative against his pin-up pope. This leaves the Committee with the challenge though of whether or not to put the Pontiff on the 2015 Death List. Thoughts?

He has recently become the 2nd longest lived pope in history. But he'll have to live to be 93 to get 1st place.

• Like 1

He had a very german birthday last week: http://www.trachtenverband-bayern.de/news-reader/items/bayerische-abordnung-gratuliert-papst-benedikt-1714.html, and he looks pretty good. Well, at least compared to his brother.

A_k3-01-Bei-Bayernhymne-2_6_800.jpg

That's his brother seated, right. Probs worth a mention if he died in early 2016, the kind of mention that would hit a Deathrace qualifying obit.

• Like 1

A_k3-01-Bei-Bayernhymne-2_6_800.jpg

"Ve may haf lost, but ve haf a cunning plan."

Ratzinger is interviewed for a new book about his life:

"Asked whether he would celebrate his 90th birthday next year, the retired pope who uses a walking frame and is blind in his left
eye, reportedly said "hopefully not".

"You realise he has lived his life," said Seewald [the biographer]. "I don't want to say he is tired of life, but that he has simply given all he's
got to give."

Seewald added that Benedict "himself never expected to live very long after his resignation".

"But Ratzinger has an ability to bounce back. One day you think, this was the last visit. The next time you realise he has gathered
new strength.""

Source: http://www.france24.com/en/20160907-ex-pope-benedict-was-love-young-man-interviewer

• Like 1

So he's another tease.

• Like 1

Lots of teasing in his book:

Last Testament is nearest to an autobiography from the shy and private man who has remained “hidden to the world” in a former convent in the Vatican gardens. He breaks his silence on issues such as:

• The “Vatileaks” case in which his butler leaked some of his personal letters that alleged corruption and scandal in the Vatican
  • The presence of a “gay lobby” within the Vatican and how he dismantled it
  • His alleged Nazi upbringing
  • His attempts at cleaning up the “dirt in the church” (clerical sexual abuse)
  • The mysterious private secretary “Gorgeous George”

"Asked whether he would celebrate his 90th birthday next year, the retired pope who uses a walking frame and is blind in his left

"You realise he has lived his life," said Seewald [the biographer]. "I don't want to say he is tired of life, but that he has simply given all he's

got to give."

Seewald added that Benedict "himself never expected to live very long after his resignation".

"But Ratzinger has an ability to bounce back. One day you think, this was the last visit. The next time you realise he has gathered

new strength.""

Source: http://www.france24.com/en/20160907-ex-pope-benedict-was-love-young-man-interviewer

What's the ratio of litres of virgin's blood to days of life?

World Cup 'forced Benedict to stand down as Pope'

"POPE Benedict quit a year earlier than he had wanted to because the 2014 World Cup in Brazil forced the rescheduling of a key Catholic festival normally attended by a pontiff - which he could not travel to for medical reasons.

Long-time papal adviser Monsignor Georg Gaenswein has revealed the reason behind Benedict's surprise announcement in February 2013, when he became the first pontiff in 600 years to quit.

Msgr Gaenswein said that a doctor had told Benedict he could no longer take transatlantic flights due to failing health. That posed a dilemma, because, as Pope, Benedict would have been expected to appear at World Youth Day, a popular Catholic event, which was due to be held in Rio de Janeiro.

At that time, World Youth Day gatherings were being held every three years, which would have meant it was to take place in 2014. "But World Youth Day that should have taken place in 2014 was moved up [to 2013] because of the soccer World Cup games," which Brazil was hosting in 2014. "Otherwise he would have tried to resist until 2014," Msgr Gaenswein said.

Emeritus pontiff Benedict (89) now lives in a Vatican convent. He stepped down from the papacy on February 28, 2013, five months before the Youth Day gathering, which was attended by Pope Francis, who succeeded him as pontiff.

Msgr Gaenswein said that in the early 1990s, Benedict, then in his role as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, told Pope John Paul II he could no longer work as the Vatican's watchdog for doctrinal orthodoxy.

Ratzinger had suffered a brain haemorrhage, prompting his request to resign the post, Msgr Gaenswein said, but John Paul "categorically refused his resignation".

After Ratzinger suffered an embolism in 1994, vision in his left eye deteriorated, Msgr Gaenswein said.

"From that point on, thus, already years before his election" as pope, in 2005, "he saw very badly with his left eye. But he didn't let it weigh him down. A semi-blind pope. Who would have ever known?" Msgr Gaenswein added.

The aide, who still assists the elderly cleric, expressed sadness that Benedict no longer can take the long walks that were part of his cherished routine."

Source: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/world-cup-forced-benedict-to-stand-down-as-pope-35098406.html

Basically, his health made him step down as pope. He needs to be in future deathlist's starting next year, if he survives that long.

• Like 2

A papal force descends upon us, almost neutered by inactivity. His relationship with the implicit will destroy his gravestone on this world, an though is ill health us not a fabrication, it's not unfair to suggest that such an unusual resignation could well be resultant of evils provocation, or the old boys networks old aged penetration of all things in the church. Not that this of course is probable or even based on any potential evidence, spurious guesswork is often the foundation for the correct reading of a situation - if it works for relations why not for conglomerations or other organisations. I suppose my attribution of blame is wholly inconsiderate and wholly jmprobable, I affirm that Benedict simply is incapable of transatlantic transportation, but he's lived a long duration since us fateful resignation.

got to give."

new strength.""

I had a look at the book in a store during my lunch hour yesterday. In the intro, the author confirms that he has had his last visit to Ratzinger and won't be seeing him again. He says that Ratzinger's memory is fading now and that he is very thin.

got to give."

new strength.""

I had a look at the book in a store during my lunch hour yesterday. In the intro, the author confirms that he has had his last visit to Ratzinger and won't be seeing him again. He says that Ratzinger's memory is fading now and that he is very thin.

Very useful extra info.Would be an embarrisg miss for DL if he dies and isnt on the list.

• Like 3

got to give."

new strength.""

Very useful extra info.Would be an embarrisg miss for DL if he dies and isnt on the list.

Aye, I'm just about to elect my DDP joker...oh look; white smoke!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Update from last month: aide claims he is in  "perfect mental and spiritual health" but physically debilitating little by little:

https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2017/02/11/aide-says-benedict-perfect-mental-spiritual-health/

So essentially, he's clinging to god for a painless death?

I thought, under Christian theology, only Jesus could be considered to have "perfect spiritual health" so that's a really big claim the Catholics are making.  Then again, they do think that the Pope is "Christ's subsittute on earth" so....

Anyway, it sounds like he is just gradually going downhill so he will probably slip away quietly in his sleep one day.  I agree with the committee, though, that he won't see this year out.

36 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

So was Chuck Berry.

I thought he wasn't planning on seeing his 90th on April 16?

Well Chuck Berry reached 90, Benedict might not.

90 today  :birthday: