maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

35 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Any chance of a QO?

Possible but I wouldn't put money it.

On 20.4.2017 at 21:01, gcreptile said:

Jimmy LaFave has terminal sarcoma. Doesn't really sound as if he'll make it to 2018 - with 15-20 tumours in his chest:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2017-04-21/playback-dead-man-walking-jimmy-lafave/

Jimmy LaFave just died.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jimmy-lafave-dead-61-cancer-10477395

And a Mirror obit! Wasted chance.

2 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Vin Garbutt, not so long after major heart surgery.

Why did I read this as Vinegar Butt?

"specsavers"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Vin Garbutt, not so long after major heart surgery.

A folkie much beloved by other folkies and nailed-on Q/O case; summat of a miss methinks

Johnny Clegg OBE, born in the UK, but a big name in South African folk, has been suffering from pancreatic cancer for the last two years and has just embarked on a farewell tour. :skull:     

Reading through his wiki page and seeing that he has featured on the BBC and Guardian websites in the past, I'd say a UK obit is assured and he has walked straight into my DDP team for next year. 

^ There goes one of the "no ones mentioned but they're on everyone's shortlist" names.  Poker season already?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, msc said:

^ There goes one of the "no ones mentioned but they're on everyone's shortlist" names.  Poker season already?

Aye, I'll share the love by adding Clegg to the Deathrace Form Guide

Drop 40 for sure.

Ah, fuck. Wasn't expecting him to be a unique for me but I did think he would be a very rare contenders-only pick, sorta like next year's Rayya Elias.

But OTOH, if people think he can make the Drop 40, maybe it's good that he was mentioned on the forums.

Yeah, I held back on making the joke of having too many Johnnies under consideration.

Just now, Phantom of the Midway said:

Ah, fuck. Wasn't expecting him to be a unique for me but I did think he would be a very rare contenders-only pick, sorta like next year's Rayya Elias.

But OTOH, if people think he can make the Drop 40, maybe it's good that he was mentioned on the forums.

He's a folksinger, right

The second he drops four guys in chunky sweaters will mob up and sing a song about how great "Old Johnny" really was.

Sometimes thought of making a "Peter Sallis was a fan of one, IIRC" joke whenever the topic of "not mentioned on forum but everyone knows about them" names came up.

He was 50/50 for me, but it definitely sounds like he's near the end with his farewell tour...

On 19/02/2010 at 14:43, Rotten Ali said:

Cut and Paste from the Vancover Sun....

"Gordon Lightfoot’s management says an Internet hoax created false rumours that the iconic Canadian folksinger had died Thursday."

Sorry only looked at post 120 and never checked that it had moved on to a 9th page.

Not only was he not dead in 2010 but he turns 79 today! :birthday:

On 3/11/2017 at 17:32, DevonDeathTrip said:

Johnny Clegg OBE, born in the UK, but a big name in South African folk, has been suffering from pancreatic cancer for the last two years and has just embarked on a farewell tour. :skull:     

Reading through his wiki page and seeing that he has featured on the BBC and Guardian websites in the past, I'd say a UK obit is assured and he has walked straight into my DDP team for next year. 

Johnny Clegg paid tribute to the late Hugh Masekela. Though this is not really meaningful, I think he has little chance to die this year.

3 hours ago, drol said:

Johnny Clegg paid tribute to the late Hugh Masekela. Though this is not really meaningful, I think he has little chance to die this year.

He is a really interesting pick and is on a few early Ddp contenders lists.He is in remission but clearly reckons his number is up.

There is clearly an expectation from his oncologists that it will come back worse than ever.

On 3/11/2017 at 17:32, DevonDeathTrip said:

Johnny Clegg cancels scheduled gigs till July because he's undertaking a "lenghty and complex treatment".