Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

For the lazy among us, and in case it vanishes ...

1901 - Eric Clavering

1904 - Doris Eaton-Travis

1905 - Carl Esmond, Charles Lane and Lilian Oldland

1906 - Barbara Kent

1907 - Leon Askin, Norah Baring, Dorothy Boyd, Anne Grey, Emily Perry and Renee St Cyr

1908 - Eddie Albert, Dorothy Bartlam, Sir John Mills and Ford Rainey

1909 - Marguerite Allan, Bruce Bennett, Victoria Hopper, Luise Rainer, Gloria Stuart and Carla Laemmle

1910 - Constance Cummings, Griffith Jones, Marc Lawrence, Al Lewis, Artie Shaw, Simone Simon, Anita Page, Mary Jackson, Edmundo Ros and Geoffrey Toone

Perhaps not of all these are the best candidates, but these are people (at least on my side of the pond) that I've found people such as myself were generally surprised to find alive:

Joseph Barbera - 24-Mar-1911 - The living half of Hanna-Barbera - Of course you have him on your list already this year, this is just my subtle little vote to keep him on it next year (he's my number one pick for 2006).

John Archibald Wheeler - 09-Jul-1911 - Ancient American Physicist - One of the last remaining physcisits who worked on the H-bomb at Los Alamos, the guy who coined the term "black hole" and originator of the quote "Time is what prevents everything from happening at once." The man is so old he worked with Niels Bohr on physics papers! He's been slowing down a lot in recent years.. maybe he's getting ready for the final "graviational collapse?" Speaking of Neils Bohr, he has an 83 year old son by the name of Aage who might be prime deathlist material in a few years.

Charles H. Townes - 28-Jul-1915 - Helped invent the maser and the laser - Laser pioneer Gordon Gould died this year at the age of 85, which does not bode well for this man. His teaching at MIT has become virtually non-existant, and he recentely won the "Templeton Prize for Progress Toward Research or Discoveries about Spiritual Realities" formerly known for being handed out for "progress in religion." Perhaps he's awaiting the end and trying to dechiper it using physics? Also, the founder of the Templeton Prize, Sir John Templeton, is 93 himself, albeit with no known health problems.

James Van Allen - 07-Sep-1914 - Discoverer of the "Van Allen Belt" - Perhaps not particullarly notable enough to pass the "famous enough" test, but he hasn't taught for two decades and hasn't won an award in over 14 years. Most scientists are fairly active up until their deaths, there's a good chance he may be trying to keep some illness on the down-low.

Henry Heimlich - 03-Feb-1920 - Inventor of the Heimlich Maneuver - A bit young by DL standards, but clearly insane. Here's a taste from his wiki:

"Heimlich's later work has been mired in controversy and widely discredited, in particular his claims that AIDS, cancer, and Lyme disease can be cured by giving patients malaria. From the early 1990s through the present, he arranged clandestine human experiments in Mexico, China, and several African countries in which victims suffering from other AIDS, cancer, and Lyme disease were injected with malarial blood. These human experiments have been widely denounced as medical atrocities by bioethicists and federal agencies including the CDC and FDA.

His promotion of the use of the Heimlich maneuver for near-drowning rescue and for treating asthma has been dogged by allegations of case fraud based on the research of Dr. Heimlich's son, Peter M. Heimlich."

Maybe I'll post some more later if I feel up to it.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Neils Bohr, he has an 83 year old son by the name of Aage who might be prime deathlist material in a few years.

He may die of old aage.

I think Dr Heimlich was mentioned in passing some time back as a possibility. It would be a bit of a choker to miss him.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

Joseph Barbera - 24-Mar-1911 - The living half of Hanna-Barbera - Of course you have him on your list already this year, this is just my subtle little vote to keep him on it next year (he's my number one pick for 2006).

Also my latest dream recently, Although i can't promise it

was based on death but i figure if i dream about any canidates

on this list it must be a positive sign.

If you look in his Wiki biography you can see him in

the year 2000 with William Hannah who looks quite frail

and he did indeed pass the following year. In that photo

Barbera looks pretty good at age 89 but that was 5 years

ago so hopefully my dream will pay off.

We still have some high quality canidates on this list that could

croak before the years end, and looking into December i hope

the DL finds some festive holiday joy which we call successes.

If you look in his Wiki biography you can see him in the year 2000 with William Hannah who looks quite frail and he did indeed pass the following year.

Yes, but I believe that by that point, he already had the throat cancer that would end up claiming his life.

Not doubting your skills. Just saying. :dead3:

Guest Guest

Wheeler is a goog candidate. Having a look a the list of nobelprize winners, there might be some more hot candidates:

I met Williis Lamb (92) (nobel price in Physics 1955) five years ago. He didn't look very well then and I was surprised seeing him still alive. Another is Montalcini (96) (nobel price in medizin 1986) - on the pictures I found on the Net she didn't look very well.

The Dutch-German Actor Johannes Heesters (103) maybe also a candidate.

Johannes Heesters

Compared to yer average 103 year old the man rocks. If anyone on the DL speaks dutch I think an English translation of the news page on his web site might help us decide about his inclusion next year. Does the story with the beer drinking pictures say he's having a good time or getting plastered in the face of impending death?

Also my latest dream recently,

oh Banshees, do tell, what exactly did your dream about Joseph Barbera entail?

Also my latest dream recently,

oh Banshees, do tell, what exactly did your dream about Joseph Barbera entail?

Hopefully, a large 'ACME' anvil falling on his head.

Compared to yer average 103 year old the man rocks. If anyone on the DL speaks dutch I think an English translation of the news page on his web site might help us decide about his inclusion next year.

I'm afraid that page is in German, not Dutch.

Does the story with the beer drinking pictures say he's having a good time or getting plastered in the face of impending death?

You mean:

"Ich bin zwar jedes Jahr auf der Wiesn dabei, diesjahr zum ersten Mal beim Anstich. Somit war ich wohl der älteste Besucher des Oktoberfestes." (September 2005)

To paraphrase, and not translate, Mr Heesters says that he visits the Oktoberfest every year, but this year did so from the start, and that he's the oldest visitor.

Tricky, through the idiomatic use of 'Wiese', and I'm not sure about 'Anstich' either. Notapotato, what do you think?

regards,

Hein

Thanks MG, it's always good to have an intelligent person around, makes a pleasant change from the Richard O' Sullivan fans.

"Ich bin zwar jedes Jahr auf der Wiesn dabei, diesjahr zum ersten Mal beim Anstich. Somit war ich wohl der älteste Besucher des Oktoberfestes." (September 2005)

To paraphrase, and not translate, Mr Heesters says that he visits the Oktoberfest every year, but this year did so from the start, and that he's the oldest visitor.

Tricky, through the idiomatic use of 'Wiese', and I'm not sure about 'Anstich' either. Notapotato, what do you think?

"Die Wiesn" or more properly "Die Theresienwiese" ("the (Theresa) meadow(s)") is the name of the place in Munich where the Oktoberfest is traditionally held. In September. By association the Oktoberfest is also referred to by Münchner as die Wiesn.

"Der Anstich" is the traditional opening ceremony of the Oktoberfest when the Mayor of Munich comes along and hammers a tap into a beer cask then announces "o'zapft is!" (="I have just hammered a tap into a beer cask.")

Oans, zwoa, drei, Gsuffa.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

a celebrity guest comes along and hammers a tap into a beer cask then announces "o'zapft is!" (="I have just hammered a tap into a beer cask.")

What a marvellously concise language German is! :dead3:

a celebrity guest comes along and hammers a tap into a beer cask then announces "o'zapft is!" (="I have just hammered a tap into a beer cask.")

What a marvellously concise language German is! :dead3:

Not a literal translation, I admit. But that's the closest I could get to the spirit of the thing.

Was told this week that Lena Horne is still alive and was very surprised to hear it.

Was told this week that Lena Horne is still alive and was very surprised to hear it.

Surely she would have already known that she was still alive.....? Either that or she's got damn strong willpower!

Wheeler is a goog candidate. Having a look a the list of nobelprize winners, there might be some more hot candidates:

I met Williis Lamb (92) (nobel price in Physics 1955) five years ago. He didn't look very well then and I was surprised seeing him still alive. Another is Montalcini (96) (nobel price in medizin 1986) - on the pictures I found on the Net she didn't look very well.

Lamb was another one on my list of physicists... I've heard very similar stories about his declining health, and I'd probably put him right after those that I mentioned above.

Montalcini is old, but I'm not sure that she's any less healthy than any of the other's that have been mentioned. Always a possibility at that age, but far from a certain one.

And to agree with what others are saying, Heesters (who was born in 1903, making him only 101 currently) is surprisingly spry for his age. Then again, once you hit the big 10-0 you can go down and out in a matter of weeks, or even days.

I still stick by my originals, but definetely add Lamb to the list... possibly Lena Horne too (I'm not up to snuff on my research).

Lamb was another one on my list of physicists... I've heard very similar stories about his declining health, and I'd probably put him right after those that I mentioned above.

Montalcini is old, but I'm not sure that she's any less healthy than any of the other's that have been mentioned. Always a possibility at that age, but far from a certain one.

And to agree with what others are saying, Heesters (who was born in 1903, making him only 101 currently) is surprisingly spry for his age. Then again, once you hit the big 10-0 you can go down and out in a matter of weeks, or even days.

I still stick by my originals, but definetely add Lamb to the list... possibly Lena Horne too (I'm not up to snuff on my research).

There are still no promises that any of these suggestions will

will top the charts reflecting on there fame. :(

Doing more research on Lena Horne, I'm not sure if she's a strong enough candidate. Granted, she's old, a lot of people seem to think she's already dead and I found a few mentions that she might have MS, but there's nothing that seems to me to indicate that she's worth taking a spot from one of the many other qualified candidates we've all mentioned.

There are still no promises that any of these suggestions will

will top the charts reflecting on there fame. wink.gif

Well out of the ones I've suggested, Barbera obviously makes it (another subtle vote) and Heimlich would certainly get an obit on the BBC. I would also put my money on the fact that Wheeler would get notice in the UK. As for Townes, Van Allen and Lamb... it's uncertain, but definetely possible.

Surely she would have already known that she was still alive.....? Either that or she's got damn strong willpower!

Fair enough.....I was surprised to hear that she is alive .

I can top all of you......I woke up this day And was surrprised to find I was alive......

I can top all of you......I woke up this day And was surrprised to find I was alive......

Are you sure?

I mean did you check the obituaries?

• Haha 1

What are you not telling me?

• Like 1