Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Ibolya Csak

Hungarian high jumper who won Olympic gold in 1936, and European gold 2 years later. Originally given silver in the latter, but it emerged that the original recipient of the gold was a man!

I had heard of her before, but never known why she was famous... that's a wonderful story though.

Death List is greatly amusing me today. :lol:

• Like 1

I can forsee some argument about notability here but:

Kenneth Richmond, the strongman who strikes the gong in the Rank films has died. Obit

Why near misses? Well, he was on my DDP top 100 for 2007, so he was a consideration for myself and thus a "near miss"

Two, everyone here must know of the man & the action he does.

Three, aside from Rank, he belongs to that relatively rare breed - a British Olympic medallist. He won a bronze medal for wrestling in 1952.

:(

Kenneth Richmond, the strongman who strikes the gong in the Rank films has died. Obit

Why near misses? Well, he was on my DDP top 100 for 2007, so he was a consideration for myself and thus a "near miss"

Three, aside from Rank, he belongs to that relatively rare breed - a British Olympic medallist. He won a bronze medal for wrestling in 1952.

I saw him getting interviewed on the telly a few years ago.

Apparently, he wasn't allowed to actually hit the gong. It was made of plaster and would have disintegrated into a thousand pieces, had he really whacked it with that dirty great beater.

:D

I saw him getting interviewed on the telly a few years ago.

Apparently, he wasn't allowed to actually hit the gong. It was made of plaster and would have disintegrated into a thousand pieces, had he really whacked it with that dirty great beater.

A bit corny, but I did like the headline

GONG ..BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Bob Mathias, two time Olympic gold medal winning Decathlete.

A former Congressman who served four terms, his life story was made into a movie.

Dead aged 75.

Bob Mathias, two time Olympic gold medal winning Decathlete.

A former Congressman who served four terms, his life story was made into a movie.

Dead aged 75.

Oh that is sad. Very sad. Sad indeed.

I recall many a several years ago there was a photograph of him in all his athletic splendor and he was hurling something...either a discus thingy or a javelin and I was immediately smitten by his appearance. He was a good athlete and will be missed. Thanks for the update Terpus.

The unique pick and under 50 double bonus, scored by a DDP participant following the death of Steve Irwin, has led me to an unexpected pang of jealousy.

I have pondered upon who might provide me with similar points on next years list, not someone who is 'ill' in the conventional sense of the word, but a risk taker or a hell raiser, someone who might just take things too far in 2007. With some Iain-like psychic imagery and with a bit of fishing on wikipedia I have been inspired the following name:

Matti Nykänen, aged 41, the quadruple Olympic ski jumping gold medalist, now known better as the national disgrace of Finland. He's been married five times, has been pissed for the last 15 years and has also been in a bit of trouble with the law:

"On August 24, 2004, Matti Nykänen was arrested on suspicion of attempted manslaughter after the stabbing of a family friend. He was found guilty of aggravated assault and sentenced to a 26-month jail term on October 27, 2004. As a first-timer, he was released from jail on September 21, 2005. While on probation, he was re-arrested four days later for abusing his current life companion, Mervi Tapola. Nykänen was convicted again for four months on March 16, 2006."

Something at the back of my mind tells me that Matti Nykanen is a man who won't live to see a great age and that 2007 just might be his fatal year, probably caused by drinking or fighting, or when ski jumping whilst drunk possibly?

Sorry for rambling on so .... :unsure:

The unique pick and under 50 double bonus, scored by a DDP participant following the death of Steve Irwin, has led me to an unexpected pang of jealousy.

I have pondered upon who might provide me with similar points on next years list, not someone who is 'ill' in the conventional sense of the word, but a risk taker or a hell raiser, someone who might just take things too far in 2007. With some Iain-like psychic imagery and with a bit of fishing on wikipedia I have been inspired the following name:

Matti Nykänen, aged 41, the quadruple Olympic ski jumping gold medalist, now known better as the national disgrace of Finland. He's been married five times, has been pissed for the last 15 years and has also been in a bit of trouble with the law:

"On August 24, 2004, Matti Nykänen was arrested on suspicion of attempted manslaughter after the stabbing of a family friend. He was found guilty of aggravated assault and sentenced to a 26-month jail term on October 27, 2004. As a first-timer, he was released from jail on September 21, 2005. While on probation, he was re-arrested four days later for abusing his current life companion, Mervi Tapola. Nykänen was convicted again for four months on March 16, 2006."

Something at the back of my mind tells me that Matti Nykanen is a man who won't live to see a great age and that 2007 just might be his fatal year, probably caused by drinking or fighting, or when ski jumping whilst drunk possibly?

Sorry for rambling on so .... :dead:

Excellent instincts DDT. Whomever picked Steve Irwin for the DDP should win the title for best pick of the year. An inspired, risky, yet not ridiculous, selection, completely in the spirit of celebrity dead pools, as opposed to happening to know in late December of last year that some third rate US sitcom actress had terminal lung cancer.

As for your proposed 2007 candidate, I remember him as a fresh faced Olympic hopeful from what must be 20 or so years ago. Sounds like things have really gone downhill for him lately.....

1960 Olympic champion (50km) Don Thompson has died.....

Don Thompson

Maxi Baier who won the 1936 Winter Olympic gold medal for pairs figure skating.

She was Germany's youngest Winter Olympic winner, dead aged 86.

Former Olympic gold medalist Annette Kelly has died at the age of 93

She won gold medals at the 1932 and 1936 Olympic games for the 400m relay

Ivar Formo Norwegian Winter Olympic gold medal winner.

Dead aged 55, drowned after falling through ice into a lake.

was he ice skating?

was he ice skating?

Yes, on thin ice.

Death by cliche.

was he ice skating?

Yes, on thin ice.

Death by cliche.

Death by global warming.

The former world record holder and Olympic medalist in the decathlon, C K Yang, has died of a massive stroke.

The former world record holder and Olympic medalist in the decathlon, C K Yang, has died of a massive stroke.

How many points would that score in the Hungarian tables?

Five-time Olympian Willye White has died:

http://www.usolympicteam.com/11611_51182.htm

"The United States Olympic Committee learned earlier today of the passing of five-time U.S. Olympian and two-time silver medalist Willye White. An athletics legend, she remains the only American to have competed on five Olympic track and field teams"

It's a miss. I would have takin him over Borgnine. What is another centurian. But at the same time he couldn't have been that famous. He was a mediocre actor.

Damn fine athlete though. Won a silver medal in the 1928 Olympic Games as Herman Brix.

*Sigh*.

He was fixed on my DDP list last year, until they changed the scoring rules. Should've gone with my instincts & not Fidel Castro. I also remember Bennett from the film Strategic Air Command - only a minor role, but certainly not mediocre.

:) 100 is a fine age to go at though.

So for a long time, I had been trying to figure out who the oldest living Olympic medalist was. The trail went dead with Feroze Khan in April 2005, but just yesterday I finally came across an article from late February 2007 that described Roger Beaufrand as being that titleholder. So being the intrepid young lad that I am, I went out, made a Wikipedia page for him, and gave him a quick spot on my upcoming WDP.

Then it turns out he died three days before. Back to square one. :D

So for a long time, I had been trying to figure out who the oldest living Olympic medalist was. The trail went dead with Feroze Khan in April 2005, but just yesterday I finally came across an article from late February 2007 that described Roger Beaufrand as being that titleholder. So being the intrepid young lad that I am, I went out, made a Wikipedia page for him, and gave him a quick spot on my upcoming WDP.

Then it turns out he died three days before. Back to square one. :crossbone:

Isn't that a little bit the other side of the cheating line by you yourself making a wiki page of someone you intend to put in a team? :pop:

Grete Waitz, 53, a record breaking athlete who won several London and New York marathons, as well as World Championship and Olympic medals, was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.

She has never disclosed the precise nature of her diagnosis, but in a recent article she reveals that she is still suffering from the disease.

Grete Waitz, 53, a record breaking athlete who won several London and New York marathons, as well as World Championship and Olympic medals, was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.

She has never disclosed the precise nature of her diagnosis, but in a recent article she reveals that she is still suffering from the disease.

Grete Waitz, eh? She might have won the odd marathon, but she'll always be remembered for crapping herself in the middle of a race.

Anyway, no doubt posted elsewhere, but US presidential candidate John Edwards' wife Elizabeth sounds like a decent bet for 2008, even if her husband isn't.

Mummy will be dead soon kids

• Like 1