maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Mark Abrahamian, lead guitarist for Starship has died following a heart attack after performing in Nebraska.

Blimey. I saw them a couple of weeks ago at the Rewind festival. Well, I say "saw", I heard them in the distance as I was dozing in one of the rare bits of shade to be found. "Starship" are something of a Trigger's Broom of a band.

Nothing's gonna stop him now. Except blah etc.

That would make a good pub quiz question - name five Trigger's Broom bands. Well, of course there's the ultimate franchise group, Sugababes. And probably quite a few US R&B/soul bands like the Drifters and the Coasters.

Not forgetting Trigger's Broom themselves, who are probably playing the Flying Saucer in Hempstead any time soon.

Aren't any of the Four Tops the original Four Tops anymore?

The Feelgoods are still going strong without Lee, Wilko, Sparko and the Big Figure.

Frank Wilson producer of Motown Records fame has died 27 Sept at 71.

Probably most famous for the record that never was, he had all but a few copies of a recording of

destroyed resulting in one of the surviving copies being sold privately for £25,000 in 2009.

Irish star of the 1960's Larry Cunningham

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-19771095

I've got one of the jug-eared minor talent's records - copped for about 50p from an Oxfam shop and bought because we were busy laughing at the cover. Haven't given it a spin in living memory. I note the UK sales he enjoyed for such ironic reasons aren't mentioned in the news report.

I've got one of the jug-eared minor talent's records - copped for about 50p from an Oxfam shop and bought because we were busy laughing at the cover.

Oh, do share! :D

Well, bear in mind my 50p copy looks like it's been used as a plate by a particularly cash-strapped Irish family for many years, so it plays badly.

The link below gives some idea of what it sounds like, enjoy:

Session guitarist Big Jim Sullivan has died. You may not have heard of him but you've certainly heard him play!

http://ultimateclass...van-dead-at-71/

But...but...he was Lord Sitar, a total legend, v.sad news indeed.

Session guitarist Big Jim Sullivan has died. You may not have heard of him but you've certainly heard him play!

Leaves a hell of a CV though.

Leaves a hell of a CV though.

He was on tour with Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent on that fateful tour in 1960.

Big Jim died on the eve of what would have been Eddie Cochran's 74th birthday.

Guest Phantom

Just heard word that Nick Curran has sadly lost his battle against throat cancer. I'll find a link as soon as I can.

Dionne Warwick has been doing the rounds of the UK chat shows promoting her new album. She was singing on the SCD results show and, more interestingly, she was on Radio 4's Woman's Hour this morning (I was driving somewhere in a car - alright!) and she was explaining why she refuses to give up smoking and doesn't do keep fit.

72 in December.

Dionne Warwick has been doing the rounds of the UK chat shows promoting her new album. She was singing on the SCD results show and, more interestingly, she was on Radio 4's Woman's Hour this morning (I was driving somewhere in a car - alright!) and she was explaining why she refuses to give up smoking and doesn't do keep fit.

72 in December.

well her sister (Dee Dee Warwick) and her cousin (Whitney Houston) are pushing up daises....and shes related to Aretha Franklin who is on the 2012 death list - I'd say shes doing OK all things considered.

72 in December.

well her sister (Dee Dee Warwick) and her cousin (Whitney Houston) are pushing up daises....and shes related to Aretha Franklin who is on the 2012 death list - I'd say shes doing OK all things considered.

She was asked about why some stars seem to self destruct including Whitney, Karen Carpenter & Michael Jackson and why she had not secumbed. She said that she had always been grounded. I am not advocating DW for 2013 list, just passing on intelligence.

• Like 1

Michael Marra @ 60 http://news.stv.tv/t...e-with-illness/

Opened for some big(ish) acts and quite well known in this country.

http://www.musical1....d=1&song_id=165

Edit for Dammit, beaten again by Yongle. Took too long searching and failing on Youtube.

Just heard word that Nick Curran has sadly lost his battle against throat cancer. I'll find a link as soon as I can.

Almost forgot. Here's a link regarding Nick Curran's passing