themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

He was a Romanian national hero but being called Michael the Brave I guess he couldn't avoid that. Anyway he died 415 years ago aged 43,

220px-MihaiViteazul.jpg

35 years ago Anita Loos, author of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, died aged 92.

Anita_loos.jpg

Judging from that picture, she's writing from bitter experience...

• Like 1

blind-willie-mctell1.jpg

Blind Willie McTell experienced the dying crapshooters blues today in 1959.

• Like 1

He was a Romanian national hero but being called Michael the Brave I guess he couldn't avoid that. Anyway he died 415 years ago aged 43,

220px-MihaiViteazul.jpg

Lol now you're reaching Rock! It's ok not to post for a day when there ain't Nuttin, and today there ain't Nuttin. In fact I only came to comment how interesting it was that there were NO deaths for Aug 19 posted last year at all (2015) in Wiki, which must be the only example of that.

SC

220px-MihaiViteazul.jpg

Lol now you're reaching Rock! It's ok not to post for a day when there ain't Nuttin, and today there ain't Nuttin. In fact I only came to comment how interesting it was that there were NO deaths for Aug 19 posted last year at all (2015) in Wiki, which must be the only example of that.

SC

I don't know what you mean. We're having mititie and sarmale in his honour, isn't everyone?

Next year it's Groucho Marx...prepare!

220px-MihaiViteazul.jpg

SC

Alastair Sim (40 years today) ain't nothing and I'd argue that Hermione Baddeley, his co-star in Scrooge, dying exactly 10 years later is probably worth a mention too.

• Like 4

220px-MihaiViteazul.jpg

SC

Alastair Sim (40 years today) ain't nothing and I'd argue that Hermione Baddeley, his co-star in Scrooge, dying exactly 10 years later is probably worth a mention too.

:hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff:

• Like 1

Candida Lycett Green, my one time 1st name down for the 2015 DDP, died on this day in 2014.

It's also the anniversary of Mo Mowlam and Lorca, but I take grievance at the idea of Groucho Marx being a "nuttin".

488px-Groucho_Marx_-_portrait.jpg

• Like 3

Candida Lycett Green, my one time 1st name down for the 2015 DDP, died on this day in 2014.

It's also the anniversary of Mo Mowlam and Lorca, but I take grievance at the idea of Groucho Marx being a "nuttin".

488px-Groucho_Marx_-_portrait.jpg

Please don't take umbrage. Humble souls that we are Sir C and I only look at 5 year interval anniversaries (countless previous posts refer if you can be bothered and frankly why would you). Like with weddings, you wouldn't want to buy your other half a gift every year, it just wouldn't be special would it. And we feel it's the same with death.

Amongst the plethora of choices from today in history I've plumped for Sir Fred Hoyle who opposed the Big Bang Theory but couldn't stop returning to cosmic dust this day 15 years ago aged 86.

250px-Fred_Hoyle.jpg

• Like 3

40 years since Ken James could no longer whip off anyone's bails aged 72.

220px-Ken_James_wk.jpg

• Like 2

Cute stage actor/dancer Danny Lockin was brutally murdered 39 years ago today. I'm posting this year rather than waiting a year as I don't want it to get swamped among all the other 40 year anniversaries which will take place around this time next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Lockin

• Like 2

Cute stage actor/dancer Danny Lockin was brutally murdered 39 years ago today. I'm posting this year rather than waiting a year as I don't want it to get swamped among all the other 40 year anniversaries which will take place around this time next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Lockin

True. 1977 was decent year for celeb deaths (not quite 2016 standards of course!).

Elvis, Bing Crosby, Grouch Marx, Mark Bolan, Maria Callas, Charlie Chaplin...

• Like 1

I had forgotten we lost Nick Ashford (of Ashford & Simpson) and Jerry Leiber (Leiber & Stoller) on the same day 5 years ago. Ashford attended my alma mater at one point (Eastern Michigan Univ), a fact almost no one that went there knew LOL.

Keeping with the music theme:
​Bruce Gary, drummer for The Knack (10 years). I had no idea a member of The Knack besides Doug Feiger had died. Damn, half the band is gone and they weren't that old.

Nick_ashford_1978414c.jpg

• Like 1

5 years since songwriter Jerry Leiber died at the age of 78

Jerry-Leiber-elvis_1978314a.jpg

40 years since Oskar Bruswitz self immolated in protest against the East German regimne aged 47.

1_s.jpg

• Like 1

90 years since Rudolph Valentino ruled himself out of making talkies, aged 31.

rudolph-valentino.jpg

• Like 4

It's been 10 years since the death of jazz trumpeter Maynard Ferguson, aged 78.

maynard-ferguson-1971.jpg

• Like 1

Theodore Hook received the first postcard, but this day 175 years he joined his friends Line and Sinker, aged 52.

220px-Theodore_Edward_Hook_by_Eden_Upton

• Like 4

1983 Cy Young Award winner Mike Flanagan of the Baltimore Orioles - 5 years

flanaganvideo_280x200.jpg

• Like 1

Theodore Hook received the first postcard, but this day 175 years he joined his friends Line and Sinker, aged 52.

220px-Theodore_Edward_Hook_by_Eden_Upton

Excellent! Well done.

Yootha Joyce died on this date in 1980 and I can probably trace my morbid streak to my mother informing me that "she's dead now" every time George and Mildred was on the telly when I was a kid. This frightened me and fascinated me at the same time, which is probably still my attitude to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yootha_Joyce

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

15 years ago today, singer Aaliyah's plane went down after filming a music video for "Rock the Boat".

BRAND_BIO_Bio-Shorts_Aaliyah-Mini-Biogra

• Like 2