Sign in to follow this  
The Happy Reaper

Terry Wogan

Guest Guest

Somebody post up that Radio 1 photo on the steps of the BBC please.

Stewart and Wogan can be crossed off it now , Young for a quickfire hattrick ?

my moneys on Steve Wright dropping dead from a massive heart attack. have u seen the size of him lately?

This is the biggest hit of the year, and i'm willing to bet it will remain so. Way bigger than Bowie, Lemmy etc. Wogan has had at least 10% of the population listening to him almost every single day for the last 40+ years. He is by a long way the greatest presenter the UK has ever seen.

• Like 1

This is the biggest hit of the year, and i'm willing to bet it will remain so. Way bigger than Bowie, Lemmy etc. Wogan has had at least 10% of the population listening to him almost every single day for the last 40+ years. He is by a long way the greatest presenter the UK has ever seen.

Wogan's death is not bigger than Bowie. Otherwise I agree with your post.

He's one of the three people who I will never pick for my DDP teams (Grace Slick and June Whitfield are the other two). Perhaps I should have picked him, he'd have lasted longer then...

• Like 1

I think the thing about Wogan is that he was part of the cultural furniture. If Bowie was a precious ornament Wogan was your really comfy armchair.

• Like 5

We were told his reason for not doing children in need ( to which he did take a few of around £8k a year in the early years) was because of a back problem.

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/terry-wogan-waives-his-9000-fee-for-children-in-need-6648423.html

My Dad had a 'back problem' six months before he died of cancer.

Its pretty obvious that Wogan didn't have a short battle with Cancer, he had it for way longer.

It still pisses me off when I read the words 'battle' and cancer in the same sentence.

Anybody who has had to witness and live through that fucking horror is painfully aware that its a one sided battle that people very rarely win when they get to a certain kind of age.

Its no way to go.

• Like 1

He's one of the three people who I will never pick for my DDP teams (Grace Slick and June Whitfield are the other two). Perhaps I should have picked him, he'd have lasted longer then...

Wogan must surely at some point in his radio career have played (and introduced) 'Life on Mars?'...

I think YIA was pertaining to the UK for the biggest hit? I quite agree with that.

Bowie was universal but Wogan was utterly integral to our society, a true broadcasting legend that reached the public in a bigger way than Bowie did. His Radio 2 shows attracted millions, his TV shows ditto and his audience was all ages and all walks of life.

His like wont be seen again.

• Like 1

I think YIA was pertaining to the UK for the biggest hit? I quite agree with that.

Bowie was universal but Wogan was utterly integral to our society, a true broadcasting legend that reached the public in a bigger way than Bowie did. His Radio 2 shows attracted millions, his TV shows ditto and his audience was all ages and all walks of life.

His like wont be seen again.

I did think for a while Jonathon Ross was (in his own mind) aiming for the Terry Wogan mantle but he rather let himself down and was far too interested in himself rather than the people he was talking to. Graham Norton has inherited some of Terry's actual roles but he does alienate quite a few people. People underestimate the ability Terry had for being apparently very at ease and making his guests likewise.

Guest Droosy

I always loughed at how insecure Wogan was when he was interviewing people who were funnier than him

Loughing is presumably an Irish term relating Wogan to a body of water which might not not remain stable, but it's not one I'm aware of.

Another icon of a young penguin's life gone.

Wogan must surely at some point in his radio career have played (and introduced) 'Life on Mars?'...

He interviewed Bowie, certainly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35454033/when-sir-terry-interviewed-david-bowie

I didn't rate him as an interviewer, he was way better on Radio than on the TV.

I always remember my grandparents listening to him in the morning.When someone texted me saying simply Terry Wogan:( I knew he had either died or been arrested by Operation Yewtree!

• Like 3

I always remember my grandparents listening to him in the morning.When someone texted me saying simply Terry Wogan:( I knew he had either died or been arrested by Operation Yewtree!

LOL

Yes, I meant as a UK hit. No-one could suggest Bowie was more integral to British life since 1970 than Wogan. I mean he was great from 1971-77 but for most of the rest nothing special. Whereas Wogan was the country's top broadcaster for almost all of that period with a way bigger reach.

• Like 1

Somebody post up that Radio 1 photo on the steps of the BBC please.

Stewart and Wogan can be crossed off it now , Young for a quickfire hattrick ?

my moneys on Steve Wright dropping dead from a massive heart attack. have u seen the size of him lately?

Yes, he does resemble 'Fat Bastard' from the Austin powers films.

Back to Wo-gone.. he did coin the phrase 'Coffin Dodgers' regarding old folk.

Looks like there'll be one coffin he definitely won't be dodging now.

(Well, unless he does a 'Bowie' and swiftly gets cremated in the next few days instead)

Well-known in Australia for hosting Eurovision (until we finally got our act together and found our own comperes, that is...)

A huge slice of BBC history passed away today. Along with many others, I slowly became drawn to the charm, humour, and natural banter of one of Irelands finest. He struck me as professional, but never rehearsed, ready with the adlib, or get out clause if things went awry. I preferred the radio Wogan than the television version. A real peoples broadcaster, who spoke to all as individuals. Irreplaceable :(

• Like 2

What's it all mean, Terry?

I'm fucked if I know.

(That's the only reference any Yank will have to your Terry fellow, glad to help)

SC

I've been musing whether there should be a tribute to Wogan at this year's Eurovision. I've come to the conclusion that unless they make an 'In Memoriam' section (like the Oscars) a regular thing then there shouldn't be a tribute. I don't think we've had tributes and the like before. Udo Jurgens only got a brief moment on screen last year because it was hosted by Austria.

We've already lost so many Eurovision legends but, being a morbid sort who thinks the death montage is the best part of the Oscars ceremony, I'd quite like to see such a tribute segment, especially as so many worldwide Eurovision legends are getting on a bit.

Otherwise, I think the only people who deserve a special tribute during the show are probably Lys Assia and the members of Abba.

I think it's inevitable that there will be something for him at the national final.

• Like 2

I've been musing whether there should be a tribute to Wogan at this year's Eurovision. I've come to the conclusion that unless they make an 'In Memoriam' section (like the Oscars) a regular thing then there shouldn't be a tribute. I don't think we've had tributes and the like before. Udo Jurgens only got a brief moment on screen last year because it was hosted by Austria.

We've already lost so many Eurovision legends but, being a morbid sort who thinks the death montage is the best part of the Oscars ceremony, I'd quite like to see such a tribute segment, especially as so many worldwide Eurovision legends are getting on a bit.

Otherwise, I think the only people who deserve a special tribute during the show are probably Lys Assia and the members of Abba.

I think it's inevitable that there will be something for him at the national final.

At this rate the BAFTAs death montage this year will take half the show up.

• Like 3

I've been musing whether there should be a tribute to Wogan at this year's Eurovision. I've come to the conclusion that unless they make an 'In Memoriam' section (like the Oscars) a regular thing then there shouldn't be a tribute.

Very likely to be a tribute for the UK national final, quite possible for something at Eurovision proper as the news of Wogan's death has made the Swedish newspapers. I agree with you regarding the tribute part, though just a nod to Wogan will be enough and a nice touch.