Sign in to follow this  
The Happy Reaper

Terry Wogan

He missed Children in Need, so I did consider putting him on my list over that. I didn't because there was no indication it was a serious illness.

No longer a Floral Dance, more of a Floral Tribute.

This proud TYG is absolutely gutted by this news. Eurovision, Wake Up To Wogan (proud TYG here), Wogan's Web and so much more. Never met him but did see him twice in the flesh - (1997 Eurovision and at YTV when he was in the dictionary corner on Countdown). Surprisingly tall.

RIP

• Like 1

Children in Need will never be the same without Ol' Terry Wogan... :rip:

Made an arse of doing a spot of merging from the dead pop stars thread. Sorry if you had already posted there.

His followers were known as 'Wogs' until the Love thy Neighbour scandal of 1973 when they had to rebrand to 'Togs'.

True dat.

• Like 2

Dammit he's gone at a tricky time DDP update-wise. I tend to leave it a few days into the next month to get the rest of the previous months stiffs in!

I must say Eurovision was always that bit special when the Irish won and Terry was commentating, as ever the professional...

Another proud TYG here and very saddened by this news. :( "Wogan", "Blankety Blank", Wake Up To Wogan, the very much underrated "Wogan's Web", his contributions to singing (erm...), and of course Eurovision - all essential parts of my childhood and beyond. I do hope there is a little tribute to the Togmeister at this year's Eurovision in Sweden. As a tribute, sit back and remember this sound. RIP Sir Terry. :pop:

• Like 1

Really surprised about the news, just heard as i woke up, wasn't expecting this though i suppose it explains why he missed CIN last year as they said it was a Back problem at the time anyway he really was a true TV and Radio legend as he was a fantastic Presenter. RIP.

Now that's a surprise! I'm no particular fan of his, but it's one of those big names on the telly.

• Like 1

In a general meaning way...

Nobody knew a jot (suspected perhaps) a thing about this, yet it is being reported as 'after a brave battle with cancer'.

How do they know?

So his next venture will be DON'T Wake up With Wogan, then!

• Like 5

In a general meaning way...

Nobody knew a jot (suspected perhaps) a thing about this, yet it is being reported as 'after a brave battle with cancer'.

How do they know?

Family will have indicated so and he worked for beeb.

A bit of a UK institution. Eurovision hasn't been the same for a few years. Was anticipating a biggish death but not Wogan

As a Dutchman I'm not familiar with those abbreviations like TYG or Togs. But even I know that flower dance. (Not sure if that gives me street cred). But damn, that's another big name that went under the radar.

As a Dutchman I'm not familiar with those abbreviations like TYG or Togs. But even I know that flower dance. (Not sure if that gives me street cred). But damn, that's another big name that went under the radar.

TOGs = Terry's Old Geezers or Terry's Old Gals

TYGs = Terry's Young Geezers/Gals

As a tribute, sit back and remember this sound. RIP Sir Terry. :pop:

The pips need to be crashed, giggled through or a song hastily cut off for the full 'Wake Up To Wogan' experience!

Glad to see there's another Wogan's Web fan on here. Just 15 shows but what a legacy they left.

The Floral Dance was a novelty hit for Terry in 1978...

Just woke up to this news, just as I woke up to Terry every morning on the radio in the 1970s. No telly in those days, and the range of music he played I've to thank him for, as it gave me an appreciation for a lot more than mainstream pop. It was a treat back then to see him on the Eurovision shows. Huge, huge loss at the end of a month of huge losses.

• Like 1

It really has been a busy month for celebrity deaths - Lemmy (OK end of last month but still), Bowie, Alan Rickman, Glenn Frey, Terry Wogan... and of course Abe Vigoda. Bowie still stands out above the rest though as the most major major death - and probably THE major music death of the decade unless Bob Dylan croaks it before 2020

Somebody post up that Radio 1 photo on the steps of the BBC please.

Stewart and Wogan can be crossed off it now , Young for a quickfire hattrick ?

Somebody post up that Radio 1 photo on the steps of the BBC please.

Stewart and Wogan can be crossed off it now , Young for a quickfire hattrick ?

Well, no time like the present to drag out that infamous pic of the launch of Radios 1 and 2 and see who has copped it.

1967-DJ-group-1_1476482i.jpg

Back row (l to r): Tony Blackburn (1943), Jimmy Young (1921), Kenny Everett (1944-1995), Duncan Johnson (1938), Programme Controller Robin Scott (1920-2000), David Ryder (?), Dave Cash (1942), Pete Brady (1942), David Symonds (1943).

Middle row (l to r): Bob Holness (1928-2012), Terry Wogan (1938-2016), Barry Alldiss (1930-1982), Mike Lennox (1940), Keith Skues (1939), Chris Denning (1941), Johnny Moran (c1943, last heard of 2007?), [Pete Myers (1939-1998) - cropped out].

Front row (l to r): Pete Murray (1925), Ed Stewart (1941-2016), Pete Drummond (1943), Mike Raven (1924-1997), Mike Ahern (1942-2009) and John Peel (1939-2004)

• Like 1

Oops. Buford did a better job, I updated the list earlier. Young would make three in a row.

Guest Guest

that's 2 celeb death that have made me cry in the past month. Bowie now this.That has never happened before .This death business is getting serious