Death in Vegas

Time Added

Ray Pointer, three caps for England in 1961, dead at 79. Played in England's 2-0 win over Portugal that saw them qualify for the 1962 World Cup, they wouldn't successfully qualify for another one for another 20 years.

ermm Spade, England were drawn in Group 3 in the 1970 World Cup. They finished 2nd in the group behind Brazil, and were then knocked out in the quarter finals by West Germany.

• Like 1

They didn't need to qualify for it, as they were World Champions. And they didn't need to qualify for 1966 either, as they were hosts. They did need to qualify for 1974, 1978 and 1982, and failed abysmally in the first two.

Meanwhile, Scotland qualified for both 70s tournaments, and only suffered one defeat in both combined. Accentuate the positive, me.

I just realised that England didn't qualify for any WC between the release of "Love Me Do" and John Lennon's death.

^^^ what he said. My trivia is correct.

oh of course, because they were defending champions and in 66, it was because they were the host nation.

Sorry, my error.

Good, wasn't it ?

Peter Baker, member of the Spurs 1961 double-winners, dies aged 84

Former Burnley and England striker Ray Pointer has died at the age of 79.

SChttp://betting.cafe/former-burnley-striker-pointer-dies/

Spade told us this on Tuesday.

I typed 'Pointer' in the search box and got nuttin honey.

Due diligence: CHECK

Sc

You probably spelt it wrong. Spades post is there when I do it.

He needs some pointers ..

Of the sisters variety.

• Like 1

Thought they did it for themselves these days..

• Like 2

Ok, subbing Monty B at the last minute wasn't that costly after all.

Bolton Wanderers announce the death of Phil Gartside at 63. http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bolton-wanderers/news/bolton-chairman-phil-gartside-dies_266147.html

The DDP await a Qualifying Obit.

Other Deadpools may not.

Guardian has it: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/10/phil-gartside-bolton-wanderers-chairman-dies-aged-63

Ooh that could be a game changer...

Welp, called that wrong.

A bunch of the local papers called him "gravely ill" in December. I tend to translate that in my head as "prepare your obits now", whereas "seriously ill" is more "they might get better". Like Telegraph euphemisms, it might be on the way out, though.

Still, at least we can clearly say without any shadow of a doubt that he is in hell right now.

Have to admit I entertained the "is he truly that ill or just hanging low due to his poor reputation" thought Spade ultimately went with the latter on. But on top of all the "gravely ill" reports, I saw the Bolton News's chief football writer saying something along the lines of "I understand he's been moved from the hospital to be with his family, they have requested privacy at this time" in the final days of the year, so figured I would take my chances.

First hit for my B-Team (surely, Mother Angelica and Lord Avebury can't be far behind?). Glad I chose him instead of Bill Kenwright, who just seemed a little too healthy.

Still, at least we can clearly say without any shadow of a doubt that he is in hell right now.

He was one of those "would have sold his grandmother to stay in the Premier League" type chairmen...and probably did!

A bunch of the local papers called him "gravely ill" in December. I tend to translate that in my head as "prepare your obits now", whereas "seriously ill" is more "they might get better". Like Telegraph euphemisms, it might be on the way out, though.

He was, anyway.

• Like 1