- - - - -

Authors Last a Long Time, But.... Tome or Tomb?

514 replies to this topic

#1 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:14 AM

Some authors seem to go on for ages and they don't appear on boards like this because they often stay out of the public eye. Many people simply assume they're dead. However the following are unlikely to be setting sprint world records or clocking up high sales figures for pin up calenders these days.

J.D 'Catcher in the Rye' Salinger, 1919 -

Harper 'To Kill a Mockingbird' Lee, 1926 -

Robert M 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence' Pirsig, 1928 -
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#2 Cerberus

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:10 PM

I've just been reading about JD Salinger at www.morrill.org/books/salbio.shtml.

He sounds a bit of an odd cove. One of those authors who's only known for one book (which I haven't read). He's now married to a nurse, 30 years his junior - not hard to see what he gets out of that relationship - but previosly had a seven year relationship with the 1980s actress Catherine Oxenburg. Lucky sod!
"Once you're dead, you're made for life."

attributed to Jimi Hendrix

#3 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:00 PM

'Normal' was never on the job spec where being an author is concerned. But - like people who write hymns - the other odd uniting characteristic is their ability to survive into old age. Then again, as the Grim Reaper might say. 'You can run but you can't hide.'
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#4 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

Forrest J Ackerman another one still gannin' when some out there thought he was dead, 90 today!
Posted Image

#5 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

E.C. Tubb, I was sure the laddo were dead, obviously wrong. B 1919 and on the evidence linked above still gannin strong. I had a mate at Uni who loved Tubb's Dumarest Saga, a lengthy series of books about a guy who believed - much to everyone else's amusement - that he was born on a fabled planet called Earth and might one day return there. Rumour was Tubb had the last book written and it would be published when the great man died. I guess my old mate is still waiting to read it.
Posted Image

#6 Monoclinic

Missing in Action

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

Salman Rushdie - do you think they removed the Fatwa now they have bigger fish to fry...

Bush, Blair, Condie et al. Or was that lifted when the Ayatollah Khomeini himself died?

#7 To die for

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

View PostMonoclinic, on Mar 8 2007, 01:07 PM, said:

Salman Rushdie - do you think they removed the Fatwa now they have bigger fish to fry...

Bush, Blair, Condie et al. Or was that lifted when the Ayatollah Khomeini himself died?

Maybe not Iran apparently will only accept a withdrawl by the person that issued the fatwa
Death provokes the desire but takes away the performance - Gatekeeper (Macbeth)

Aargh!! How long has it taken for me to notice?

Not as long as it took for me to notice that you'd noticed.
-NAP

Phew!

#8 Brinsworth House Baiter

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:02 AM

View PostTo die for, on Mar 9 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

Maybe not Iran apparently will only accept a withdrawl by the person that issued the fatwa

Stephen King- got beat over by a twat in a truck...read all about it in King's On Writing

With respect to the thread...King's quite old, but not prematurely heading for a grave...but it's kinda relevant no? sh*t! f**k Jeez!

Charles Dickens is even older. Is he dead?
I am the crow king!

I can do anything!

Any Editors Out There? Gissa B-Job... www.pitcherthis.co.uk

Please.

I've just noticed the cunning moderation of my above signature. I'd like to thank the rogue moderator responsible and also add- prospective editors, please note that a B-Job would go down just as well as a proper one. Quite possibly even more so.

#9 Guest_Lord Fellatio Nelson_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

View PostBrinsworth House Baiter, on Mar 12 2007, 02:02 AM, said:

View PostTo die for, on Mar 9 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

Stephen King- got beat over by a twat in a truck...read all about it in King's On Writing

With respect to the thread...King's quite old, but not prematurely heading for a grave...but it's kinda relevant no? sh*t! f**k Jeez!

Charles Dickens is even older. Is he dead?
Yes.

#10 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

Lord Fellatio

Is that your name or do you - like - go down on the upper house?
Posted Image

#11 Guest_Lord Fellatio Nelson_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Mar 12 2007, 04:44 PM, said:

Lord Fellatio

Is that your name or do you - like - go down on the upper house?

...........only when I take my teeth out dear chap...........

#12 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

Norman Mailer, 84, has just spent five days in hospital with "laboured breathing."

He's back home now, but worth keeping an eye on. I didn't know he'd been married six times.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#13 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

He's a tough old git but adult onset asthma in a chunky 84 year old won't do any favours to his vital organs. Good spot.
Posted Image

#14 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

Norman Mailer has been hospitalised again with acute respiratory problems and undergone surgery.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#15 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

One of his former wives, Carol Mailer, spoke to The New York Post about his frail condition.

"He's not in very good shape. It's breaking my heart," she said.

Lighten up woman, and join a deadpool!
Posted Image

#16 halleluyahjohntudor

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Oct 17 2007, 10:31 PM, said:

One of his former wives, Carol Mailer, spoke to The New York Post about his frail condition.

"He's not in very good shape. It's breaking my heart," she said.

Lighten up woman, and join a deadpool!

If her heart is breaking, maybe she should pick herself before it's too late.

#17 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

Edgar Allen Poe, s'cuse the post whoring since I've also added this to the 'dead' thread above. Brain tumour appears a very likely cause of a much speculated upon death of the great man. Though the article cooly observes that the ghoulish crowd who love to see conspiracies or the hand of something altogether darker are unlikely to be satisfied with this explanation.
Posted Image

#18 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

Mary just as explanations hold value, heavy drinking over many years is said to disvalue or in so many words can cause your brain to shrink by up to 1.6%. http://www.decanter....ews/119005.html

With the combination of your diet being 80% alcohol, not to mention rooming at the local gutter ... I say expect what is most likely expected.

#19 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

You read that article BS? The point is that Poe's brain appeared to have survived decomposition to a spooky degree, not something they'd have expected in an alcholic brain. Much more likely if what the witnesses saw wasn't his brain but the calcified remains of his brain tumour.
Posted Image

#20 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Oct 22 2007, 08:51 AM, said:

You read that article BS? The point is that Poe's brain appeared to have survived decomposition to a spooky degree, not something they'd have expected in an alcholic brain. Much more likely if what the witnesses saw wasn't his brain but the calcified remains of his brain tumour.

From what I know EAP died at the early age of 39, just four days after being found 'in some other mans cloths'.

They say he screamed '"Reynolds?' Who is Reynolds? That very name might be one of the last immaculate clues left to solving all the unanswered questions.

I can tell you maryportfuncity that I think it's very possible EAP might have sustained a head injury, which that would explain his sudden death at such a young age. One of the greatest unknowns may be 'Mr.Reynolds' and the questions in my mind surrounding him which they are .. 'Mr.Reynolds who are you?' and of course ' Excuse me, Mr Reynolds but why were you naked with Poe in your cloths?'

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users