harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

American Football Players

New York Giants win Super Bowl XLII

Great game! I am glad that the Giants were able to pull of the upset victory over New England.

The 1972 Miami Dolphins will remain the only team with a perfect season, including the super bowl. :D

• Like 1

How about the New York Giants ... Eli Manning escaping the sack and making that play which was unstoppable with 35 seconds remaining on the clock. Play of the game - No doubt about it. It's about time Tom Brady f**ked up .. I'm actually in a good mood.

I'll give this game rating an 8\10. My home team along with a strong finish. It lacked action early in the game but by some thinkers 'a defensive game also makes it more intense' but a solid game all around. Especially with the Victoria Secret commercial in the last twenty minutes. Screams fantasy girl. She was a 9\10.

Congratulations to the New York Giants and their fans. Their defense played a great game and Eli Manning led them on a clutch final drive. They deserved the victory.

Congratulations to the New York Giants and their fans. Their defense played a great game and Eli Manning led them on a clutch final drive. They deserved the victory.

Well said!

Green Bay Packers legend and all-time great Brett Favre has announced his retirement. A few career stats: most TD passes, most passing yards and most career victories by a starting QB, but the most remarkable is the streak of 275 consecutive starts - the ultimate Iron Man.

Easily my favourite player in the 20 years I've followed the sport. Adios, Brett.

Green Bay Packers legend and all-time great Brett Favre has announced his retirement. A few career stats: most TD passes, most passing yards and most career victories by a starting QB, but the most remarkable is the streak of 275 consecutive starts - the ultimate Iron Man.

Easily my favourite player in the 20 years I've followed the sport. Adios, Brett.

I won't be miisssing him. Sure he was good player, decent even but I can't see what all the fanfare was about him. If he and his Packers were so great then why didn't they make it to the Super Bowl? Oh, that's right The Giants Won, The Giants Won!

Hopegully Favre will a good and happy future as a sportscaster (that seems to be where they all end up)

The Curse of the Pittsburgh Steelers strikes again with the death of 4-time Superbowl winner and member of the feared Steel Curtain defense, Dwight 'Mad Dog' White.

38 ex-Steelers have died since 2000, 17 of them aged under 60. I'm sure performance-enhancing drugs have nothing whatsoever to do with these figures.

I won't be miisssing him. Sure he was good player, decent even but I can't see what all the fanfare was about him. If he and his Packers were so great then why didn't they make it to the Super Bowl? Oh, that's right The Giants Won, The Giants Won!

Hopegully Favre will a good and happy future as a sportscaster (that seems to be where they all end up)

As they say about every sport except lacrosse and kabaddi, it's a funny old game. Not only has Brett unretired, it's just about possible he could be spending his unretirement as the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers. Edit: Sure, it's only sport, but this whole sad saga is beginning to depress me.

In another type of football, definitely quitting is Bobby Moore's #6 West Ham shirt. They don't retire jerseys outside North America very often, do they?

In another type of football, definitely quitting is Bobby Moore's #6 West Ham shirt. They don't retire jerseys outside North America very often, do they?[/color][/font]

A pathetic attempt to recapture former glories by West Ham. First of all, you don't retire jerseys in football. The whole point of the numbers was they are supposed to mean something within the game - firstly, that you're in the starting 11, secondly your position on the field. It sort of bums me out when they show the team at the start of the game and 3/4 of the side have numbers like 19 or 26. Anything above 25 should be flat out banned, as no squad should ever have that many players.

Didn't Bobby Moore retire, like, 30 freakin' years ago, and they're only retiring the number now. Do we think he'll be touched and honoured by this gesture? Oh, wait, he's brown bread. What about all the players who wore the number 6 shirt since then? Are their numbers retired also?

Just another excuse for some East End saddos to get all maudlin about how things used to be in the good old days. And I've been to Upton Park - it's a dump, in a dodgy neighbourhood, that takes forever to get to. I'm almost starting to hope for them to go down this season.

In another type of football, definitely quitting is Bobby Moore's #6 West Ham shirt. They don't retire jerseys outside North America very often, do they?[/color][/font]

A pathetic attempt to recapture former glories by West Ham. First of all, you don't retire jerseys in football. The whole point of the numbers was they are supposed to mean something within the game - firstly, that you're in the starting 11, secondly your position on the field. It sort of bums me out when they show the team at the start of the game and 3/4 of the side have numbers like 19 or 26. Anything above 25 should be flat out banned, as no squad should ever have that many players.

Didn't Bobby Moore retire, like, 30 freakin' years ago, and they're only retiring the number now. Do we think he'll be touched and honoured by this gesture? Oh, wait, he's brown bread. What about all the players who wore the number 6 shirt since then? Are their numbers retired also?

Just another excuse for some East End saddos to get all maudlin about how things used to be in the good old days. And I've been to Upton Park - it's a dump, in a dodgy neighbourhood, that takes forever to get to. I'm almost starting to hope for them to go down this season.

Cowboy Ron you're absolutely right, including the general West Ham sentiments, but I suspect you're pissing in the wind on this one. The lack of imagination among football clubs added to the "me too" inclinations of marketing managers means that a lot more clubs will be discussing how to jump on the bandwagon. They'll all want to retire a shirt in honour of their biggest heroes while cashing in on heritage sales of the said same shirt: the one and only Bobby Moore shirt - only £70 while stocks last (forever).

Soon all the club numbers will have run out and everyone will resort to letters on their backs until the alphabet is retired and we have to identify players by Roman numerals. "VII has scored just like Beckham once did when he played that number they once used before letter G." When the roman numerals have gone they might use heraldic symbols like knights once did in jousting. If Moore had a coat of arms it could be a sparkly bracelet over three lions rampant and a copy of the Sunday Sport.

Cowboy Ron you're absolutely right, including the general West Ham sentiments, but I suspect you're pissing in the wind on this one. The lack of imagination among football clubs added to the "me too" inclinations of marketing managers means that a lot more clubs will be discussing how to jump on the bandwagon. They'll all want to retire a shirt in honour of their biggest heroes while cashing in on heritage sales of the said same shirt: the one and only Bobby Moore shirt - only £70 while stocks last (forever).

Soon all the club numbers will have run out and everyone will resort to letters on their backs until the alphabet is retired and we have to identify players by Roman numerals. "VII has scored just like Beckham once did when he played that number they once used before letter G." When the roman numerals have gone they might use heraldic symbols like knights once did in jousting. If Moore had a coat of arms it could be a sparkly bracelet over three lions rampant and a copy of the Sunday Sport.

CB, I do agree with you take on the Spammers, I do think the words "Hole" and "sh*t" were coined there.

Godot, cynical but true.

In fairness, my team has just spent the national debt on players....and have recently had their third kit launch.

It will cost myself and lady FN a small ransom to go and watch them this season IF we can actually get tickets.

I tend to think the real supporter sees through the bullshit and,consequently, they allow themselves to get fleeced in other ways.

Unfortunately if Football is in the blood all sense goes out of the window.

Im not sure id have it any other way.

PS: Last week I went to see Spurs play Norwich in a friendly ( 45 to 1hr from me) five of us went, it was £12 a ticket, the atmosphere was fabulous, just how it should always be!

CB, I do agree with you take on the Spammers, I do think the words "Hole" and "sh*t" were coined there.

Godot, cynical but true.

In fairness, my team has just spent the national debt on players....and have recently had their third kit launch.

It will cost myself and lady FN a small ransom to go and watch them this season IF we can actually get tickets.

I tend to think the real supporter sees through the bullshit and,consequently, they allow themselves to get fleeced in other ways.

Unfortunately if Football is in the blood all sense goes out of the window.

Im not sure id have it any other way.

PS: Last week I went to see Spurs play Norwich in a friendly ( 45 to 1hr from me) five of us went, it was £12 a ticket, the atmosphere was fabulous, just how it should always be!

That'll learn me to go off topic in the middle of a post.

Harry's original post deleted owing to MS font incompatibilities. (Madame Defarge - I am trying my best, it doesn't appear to be working though!)

I did a little search to see if we made it under 25 (we don't) as we can't even spend the national debt of Leitchtenstein on a decent manager let alone players. However I found this slightly antiquated list and it's not to say we shall be retiring "Pele's" shirt or should that be sh*t...

While Young Keeper Bartosz Bialkowski moves from 28 to the number 13 sh*t.

I think we have many that play in sh*ts rather than in shirts these days.

Others believe the origins of the phrase can be traced to a more naval based region of the country.

Okay, you can go back to talking about the game for men who are too scared to play Rugby now. I can't remember where the topic deviated, something to do with fudge packers? Ah... the old ones are always old.

Okay, you can go back to talking about the game for men who are too scared to play Rugby now. I can't remember where the topic deviated, something to do with fudge packers? Ah... the old ones are always old.

I think, given a choice, Eduardo would have much prefered to have been in a scrum than have his foot hanging off last season.

Some of Footballs injuries have been pretty horrific, at least the equal, if not worse than injuries to Rugby players.

Before anybody tells me that Rugby players are in great danger of broken necks, let alone neck injuries, i would draw your attention to the ex Man City legend, keeper Bert Trautmann.

Having played both sports, I can honestly say that while Rugby is far more physical, I had more injuries and aggro kicking a bag of air around a pitch than carrying one, then again I could run like the wind and no bugger could catch me.

Dont be too bitter Monkey, your team has spent sod all, ambition is sod all, hope is sod all and, very likely, achievement will be sod all.

The only way is up then!

As they say about every sport except lacrosse and kabaddi, it's a funny old game. Not only has Brett unretired, it's just about possible he could be spending his unretirement as the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers. Edit: Sure, it's only sport, but this whole sad saga is beginning to depress me.

In another type of football, definitely quitting is Bobby Moore's #6 West Ham shirt. They don't retire jerseys outside North America very often, do they?

The horror...

The horror...

Not really - he hasn't gone to the Vikes the Pack gets a good draft pick. Or did you mean horror for New Yorkers?

Nice font, Maddy.

One of the great quarterbacks, 'Slingin' Sammy Baugh, has died at the age of 94. He had Alzheimer's, dementia, kidney problems, low blood pressure and double pneumonia. I bet he choked on a chicken bone.

I say QB, but they multi-tasked in those days. He probably intercepted his own passes and returned his own punts too.

One of the great quarterbacks, 'Slingin' Sammy Baugh, has died at the age of 94. He had Alzheimer's, dementia, kidney problems, low blood pressure and double pneumonia. I bet he choked on a chicken bone.

I say QB, but they multi-tasked in those days. He probably intercepted his own passes and returned his own punts too.

He also played without high tech pads, composite helmets and artificial turf. In addition to that, he was a damn nice guy.

NFL Playoff Teams

AFC East

Miami Dolphins 11-5

AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers 12-4

Baltimore Ravens 11-5

AFC South

Tennessee Titans 13-3

Indianappolis Colts 12-4

AFC West

San Diego Chargers 8-8

NFC East

New York Giants 12-4

Philadelphia Eagles 9-6-1

NFC North

Minnesota Vikings 10-6

NFC South

Carolina Panthers 12-4

Atlanta Falcons 11-5

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals 9-7

Giants-Steelers Superbowl.

Dont underestimate the Eagles . If Westbrook is on fire they can (will...) beat anyone...

Dont underestimate the Eagles . If Westbrook is on fire they can (will...) beat anyone...

I agree with Grobler. I also like the Colts. I say Colts-Eagles with Colts winning.

I agree with Grobler. I also like the Colts. I say Colts-Eagles with Colts winning.

Maybe .

But at least after last weekend I can wear my Brian Dawkins practice jersey (it was cheaper on ebay than a replica jersey !) with pride .

Maybe .

But at least after last weekend I can wear my Brian Dawkins practice jersey (it was cheaper on ebay than a replica jersey !) with pride .

I like Tennessee in the AFC. I think it will be a Giants-Tennessee matchup in the Superbowl

• Like 1